Honest opinion/question no trolling or sarcasm please

A lot of MTA employees start as interns. Have you looked into what is available? It may be easier to get in with some college. Are you sure you want to dismiss it entirely. Since it is not that easy to get an operating position, I hope you have a back up plan. If you definitely don't want college, my advice would be to try and get a job doing something you enjoy.

Yup. Thats how it works with aspiring IT professionals at least from what I've seen, looking to hit the big break in the MTA out of college, they have to participate in an internship. In that case again, a bachelors in Computer Science is an automatic. That is unless you are coming in as a IT consultant on contract through a recruiting firm which I haven't seen too much of, in contrast to other agencies or public benefits corporations such as the NYDOE, DOH, Con Edison and others who do outsource almost all the IT work ridiculous to dodge paying benefits and higher salaries.

But I'm in agreement with the transit workers. Not easy at all, not fun and games, no exaggeration. Thats exactly why I made the decision to go to school for Nursing (job security, in big demand, unionized protection and astronomically high salary). To me it may sound amazing but being a nurse in the ER or ICU from observations, actually looks less stressful then being a T/O, not kidding. But if anyone wishes to go for it in the MTA and work to the top as T/O C/R or engineer, and if thats what they really want, I wish them the best. One thing for sure, benefits as mentioned, unionized protection and really economic stability would be the perks along with a very decent wage and opportunities for overtime in the MTA from what I keep being told. Things that we cant find too often nowadays in a wrecked economy.

To the OP, it is probably a good idea that you explore the options available, including the military, to give you the discipline to handle the details, focus, and workload necessary for years to come. 

I've a four year degree (in poli-sci/local government), and went into transit while in the middle of grad school (as a demi-planner--almost as a driver). Personally, I feel like I've hit an unexpected jackpot, but it wasn't how I intended it to be. Not to mention, I was a little sh*t coming out of high school, and just late to all of the things out of college.

It all comes down to discipline and the desire to work in the field for the rest of your life (and hopefully won't change jobs in the middle*).

*unless you plan to relocate -- then it's a different story.

My question is why do you want to work for the MTA? Is it that you like trains or you just like the security and the pension. If its only the latter, I don't know if that would be enough to keep you happy there. There are other options also to enter the MTA to get the same benefits, by entering as an office worker. You don't have to have an operating position if that's not your thing. I can't understand why you want to be a train operator but don't want to be a C/R first.

A lot of MTA employees start as interns. Have you looked into what is available? It may be easier to get in with some college. Are you sure you want to dismiss it entirely. Since it is not that easy to get an operating position, I hope you have a back up plan. If you definitely don't want college, my advice would be to try and get a job doing something you enjoy.

Sorry for the late response. Yes to your first question I've always loved trains since I was a kid and I've always wanted to be a motorman partially because of my uncle who used to operate the (A) , he'd share a lot of his books/stories and tools with me which made me fascinated and made me want to learn more. The benefits along with the pay are just a bonus to be completely honest, I'm not in a career like this strictly for the money I just like trains & I want to be happy. Also if becoming a C/r was the only way to get my foot in then I'm certainly not opposed to it

Given Screechy's erratic behavior I think he has a long way to go before commiting to public service. :D

Lmao you're right that's why I scratched off police officer from my list, NYC certainly doesn't need another loose cannon with a gun.

Sorry for the late response. Yes to your first question I've always loved trains since I was a kid and I've always wanted to be a motorman partially because of my uncle who used to operate the (A) , he'd share a lot of his books/stories and tools with me which made me fascinated and made me want to learn more. The benefits along with the pay are just a bonus to be completely honest, I'm not in a career like this strictly for the money I just like trains & I want to be happy. Also if becoming a C/r was the only way to get my foot in then I'm certainly not opposed to it

Then all I can say to that is to listen to the MTA personel's direction and go for it. But as myself and peace said as well have a plan B ready just in case. That will be the best way to approach this imho.

But yeah, the best thing to do is to go for a career you know you will enjoy working in as long as the job demand is there and it offers job security along with its perks, bottom line

My advice is to NOT go with NYCT if you want to work for the MTA.  I'd hire on Metro North or the LIRR.  They pay better, are Federally Certified, and have better benefits and work rules.  But before you do that, since you don't want to go to college, I suggest you join the military.  It'll give you the discipline and self confidence you need if you want a successful career in any part of the MTA.

Ehhh the military really isn't for me, I'm deciding between a CUNY or trade school as a form of backup because of how infrequently these exams are given. Tbh I'm not interested in RR's and it's not a civil service position so I'll pass but thank you for your advice.

Archived