Signal Diagram Question

Hey Guys,

I know there are very knowledgeable TA employees here who could probably help out with this question. I am creating an IRT route for the Trainz Simulator series and I am using the single-line signal diagrams to help me place everything correctly. I've read and re-read Bernard Greenberg's pages over on www.nycsubway.org, but the following illustration has no explanation (This is taken from my personal diagram collection):

Signal01.png

I am wondering if anyone who works in engineering can tell me what those two circles below the main signal head represent?  I apologize that it's blurry. This is the first signal at the platform's end on the Manhattan-bound track at Vernon-Jackson Blvd station on the (7). The signal plate reads: "1012-C" and has "T.O." written next to it. I've seen several of these while covering the IRT and am stumped.

Thanks again guys!

-A  :ph34r:

Train Order signal. It's an aspect containing two small light circles, a red pair and a white pair. White is clear, and red is stop and call Control.

These are often found at river crossings, in addition to the regular block signal. It's basically saying the bridge or tunnel ahead is closed. There's also one at Myrtle-Wyckoff heading toward MEt. (which is probably used for when the bridge over the LIRR is out).

Thanks Subway Guy! I've heard of them at those locations, I just had no clue what they looked like on the diagrams. I'm sure this thread will be filled with other catches I find. At least Eric solved one problem awhile back about marker signals with interlocking numbers on them  ;)

-A  :ph34r:

Archived