Easiest line to Patchogue?

nyctransit

I'm going to St.Joseph's College this week end and I live in Jamaica,Queens. I'm going to have to take the train to Patchgogue. is there any other option by train to get here? I'm fearing that since it is a week end, the trains will be very few.

Well other than the train, you have the bus (NICE to Suffolk Transit), but the only thing easier than the train is driving, which may or may not be an option for you. Looking at the schedule, from Jamaica to Patchogue, you have trains every hour which isn't so bad. Depending on the train you decide to get, you may or may not have to transfer at Babylon.

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Station/MontaukMY2.pdf

Well other than the train, you have the bus (NICE to Suffolk Transit), but the only thing easier than the train is driving, which may or may not be an option for you. Looking at the schedule, from Jamaica to Patchogue, you have trains every hour which isn't so bad. Depending on the train you decide to get, you may or may not have to transfer at Babylon.

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Station/MontaukMY2.pdf

Thanks Brett! That was quick and useful.. I didn't think of the NICE service.. I don't have my car for the next 2 months so I would not be able to drive. But, I could take a taxi, if needed.

As nostalgia said, there's the S40 from Patchogue to Babylon, which takes around 50 minutes compared to 30 minutes for the LIRR. So if you take the train to Babylon and there's no connecting train for whatever reason (whether it's scheduled that way, or if there's a delay/cancellation), you have the backup option of the S40.

For travel on a summer weekend, especially to Patchogue, I would avoid the Montauk expresses. The locals may take a bit longer, but they won't be anywhere as crowded.

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch/MontaukBranch.pdf

I think you want the Montauk expresses. They run the Main Line to Bethpage and make a right turn to Babylon, continuing eastward. You'll get to Babylon faster than if you take the local to Babylon.

Thanks, I was looking for the bus schedule. If the LIRR schedule is convenient, I would just use that.

It's not clear if you want a combination of train and bus or bus all the way. If you want the bus, take N6X to Hempstead followed by N72 to Babylon and S40 to Patchogue. OR N4 to Freeport followed by N19 to Babylon and S40.

Honestly, the Montauk express is the fastest way.

It's not clear if you want a combination of train and bus or bus all the way. If you want the bus, take N6X to Hempstead followed by N72 to Babylon and S40 to Patchogue. OR N4 to Freeport followed by N19 to Babylon and S40.

Honestly, the Montauk express is the fastest way.

He said he was going on the weekend, so there is no n6x,

It's not clear if you want a combination of train and bus or bus all the way. If you want the bus, take N6X to Hempstead followed by N72 to Babylon and S40 to Patchogue. OR N4 to Freeport followed by N19 to Babylon and S40.Honestly, the Montauk express is the fastest way.

why are we even discussing stupid options that are time consuming he just wants to get to Patchogue N6 cmon you can't be serious he wants directions not fanning advice. Just LIRR to S63 done nothing else.

Thanks Brett! That was quick and useful.. I didn't think of the NICE service.. I don't have my car for the next 2 months so I would not be able to drive. But, I could take a taxi, if needed.

simple use S63 sct-bus.org look it up and time it with trains.

why are we even discussing stupid options that are time consuming he just wants to get to Patchogue N6 cmon you can't be serious he wants directions not fanning advice. Just LIRR to S63 done nothing else.

simple use S63 sct-bus.org look it up and time it with trains.

He's travelling on the weekend and S63 doesn't operate on Sundays. He was looking for alternatives to Patchogue.

Hey guys,

OP here -- Thanks for the tips. Ideally, I prefer the LIRR. I will be going there saturday to see a friend and also take a look at the college.

If there is a direct bus from jamaica or anywhere else in Queens, I am ok with the bus too.

How would I know if the montauk line is express or local? Would the sign list the stops?

Oh, I'm  she :)  Also, it just occurred to me that I should ask -- is the area around the station and college safe enough for a female?

The Montauk express goes EXPRESS from Jamaica to Babylon or Bay Shore and then LOCAL to Patchogue, Speonk, or Montauk.

Here's the schedule: http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Station/MontaukMY2.pdf

Look at the bottom for Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Don't get caught up in the terms "express" or "local."

Look in the EASTBOUND schedule for the Leave Jamaica column to go to Patchogue. For the return, look in the WESTBOUND schedule in the LEAVE Patchogue column.

The schedule looks decent and shouldn't need to take the bus from Babylon.

There are taxi cabs at the station so you don't have to walk. Station information is at:

http://mta.info/lirr/images/stationmaps/patchogue.pdf

Hey guys,

OP here -- Thanks for the tips. Ideally, I prefer the LIRR. I will be going there saturday to see a friend and also take a look at the college.

If there is a direct bus from jamaica or anywhere else in Queens, I am ok with the bus too.

How would I know if the montauk line is express or local? Would the sign list the stops?

Oh, I'm  she :)  Also, it just occurred to me that I should ask -- is the area around the station and college safe enough for a female?

I've been to that area often and since your going on a saturday you can use the S63 at the station look at this schedule http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch/MontaukBranch.pdf

as it actually has details then the trains for best connections would be 7:40 am or 9:40 departures as they time best with S63. Sadly the rest of the day S63 is COMPLETE SHIT. You will soon learn suffolk county transit is well like this is the best way to describe em 

SCT basically f**king sucks. Luckily some trains are timed with S63

Archived