Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CastleHillAvenue

R142A & R62A Car Swap

When I first heard about the Car Swap that has already begun between the Westchester and Corona Yards I must say I was a bit upset. As a daily rider of the R142A's on the (6) it will be a bit weird going back to the R62A's. 

I wonder if other riders feel the same way? In all honesty, I am very surprised that Upper East Side riders haven't been up in arms about the change that will eventually be more noticeable. For those that have had the chance to ride an R62A on the (6) have you heard any Manhattan riders voice their thoughts about the change?

• Upvote 1

Well if you can't handle the 62A's you can always start driving......lock this chit up!

• Upvote 8

Of the 2 times I ride it, not one complaint...

About 2% noticed that its been years since "these old (6) trains" came back. The other 98% was worried about getting a seat

• Upvote 2

R62As debuted on the (6) during the mid to late 1980s. They were there for a while and then went to the (7) . Now they are coming back home. The MTA can't retire them early unless they suffer from some sort of structural or severe mechanical problem that deems them unfit to continue service, which clearly hasn't happened. It's still a train that works and will get you from point A to point B. It's not like the trains have never ran on the (6) before. They did it for almost 15 years. 

R62As debuted on the (6) during the mid to late 1980s. They were there for a while and then went to the (7) . Now they are coming back home. The MTA can't retire them early unless they suffer from some sort of structural or severe mechanical problem that deems them unfit to continue service, which clearly hasn't happened. It's still a train that works and will get you from point A to point B. It's not like the trains have never ran on the (6) before. They did it for almost 15 years. 

In the short version...... they still have the kick in them and their planned replacements are coming in the mid-to-late 2020s..... apparently.

• Upvote 2

In the short version...... they still have the kick in them and their planned replacements are coming in the mid-to-late 2020s..... apparently.

As we've seen in the past MTA rarely makes deadlines. It would not shock me if those cars make it to the 2030s.

• Upvote 1

Of the 2 times I ride it, not one complaint...

About 2% noticed that its been years since "these old (6) trains" came back. The other 98% was worried about getting a seat

Interesting... Maybe it won't have a big impact. I hope there won't be a lot of confusion as to the Pelham Exp & Lcl trains. Do the Circle/Diamond LCD displays work well on the (7) line?

Interesting... Maybe it won't have a big impact. I hope there won't be a lot of confusion as to the Pelham Exp & Lcl trains. Do the Circle/Diamond LCD displays work well on the (7) line?

They get the job done

As we've seen in the past MTA rarely makes deadlines. It would not shock me if those cars make it to the 2030s.

Well, when it comes to Subway cars, they tend to be on time. And by that, I mean, AFTER the award and construction begins, cars tend to come on schedule unless the builder has an issue. The Alstom R160s are the only example I can think of in recent years.

When I first heard about the Car Swap that has already begun between the Westchester and Corona Yards I must say I was a bit upset. As a daily rider of the R142A's on the (6) it will be a bit weird going back to the R62A's. 

I wonder if other riders feel the same way? In all honesty, I am very surprised that Upper East Side riders haven't been up in arms about the change that will eventually be more noticeable. For those that have had the chance to ride an R62A on the (6) have you heard any Manhattan riders voice their thoughts about the change?

Most riders don't care one way or the other, as long as the train gets them where they're going expeditiously and the air conditioning works.

They're far more prominent than R142A local/express signage.  (And they're not liquid crystal display displays.)

I have been on it a few times since it came back to the (6) no complaints. If u don't like it then you have the (4) or (5) lines to ride, It was on the (6) for almost 16 yrs before it went to flushing and the R62As work very well, are reliable and will get you from point A to Point B fast so no need to complain, just pay attention to the stops that your on. To answer your question on the Leds yes they work well on the (7) and the riders aren't getting confused on the (6) cause we all know diamond is express and circle is local besides its easier than the R142As leds so it gets the job done. If you don't like the swaps then deal with it cause R62As won't go anywhere for a long time. Riders won't care either as long as it gets them from point a to point b fast and they get air conditioning. 

Edited by R62AR33

Riders won't care either as long as it gets them from point a to point b fast and they get air conditioning. 

Course they're gonna care, people with bitch about anything! Talking about the minute some fatass sits in one of the scoop seats and doesn't fit, the problems are gonna start. Not to mention, the 6 gets a ton of tourists (way more than the 7) which is gonna mean tons of confusion when it comes to stops if the PA system isn't completely perfect.

I commute daily on the 6 for a while, so it'll be interesting once the swap starts to happen. I just need A/C, a decent PA, and a train that doesn't break down. Can't speak for the other cranky riders of the Lex...

Course they're gonna care, people with bitch about anything! Talking about the minute some fatass sits in one of the scoop seats and doesn't fit, the problems are gonna start. Not to mention, the 6 gets a ton of tourists (way more than the 7) which is gonna mean tons of confusion when it comes to stops if the PA system isn't completely perfect.

I commute daily on the 6 for a while, so it'll be interesting once the swap starts to happen. I just need A/C, a decent PA, and a train that doesn't break down. Can't speak for the other cranky riders of the Lex...

Doesn't matter the (1) gets alot of tourists but you don't see people complaining about the R62As so (6) riders are fine. Besides now the R62As on the (6) will get the strip maps like the R62As on the (1) all they have to do is take a minute and look at the stops.  hey wont get confused on local or express either cause of the Leds so they are fine.

Edited by R62AR33

Doesn't matter the (1) gets alot of tourists but you don't see people complaining about the R62As so (6) riders are fine. Besides now the R62As on the (6) will get the strip maps like the R62As on the (1) all they have to do is take a minute and look at the stops.  hey wont get confused on local or express either cause of the Leds so they are fine.

Lex Ave line riders are in a league of their own for bitching, the UES section will complain about anything. Not saying I think there are any big problems, I'm just saying get ready, cause these people are never happy.

• Upvote 1

Lex Ave line riders are in a league of their own for bitching, the UES section will complain about anything. Not saying I think there are any big problems, I'm just saying get ready, cause these people are never happy.

I stand by what I said: Most riders don't care one way or the other, as long as the train gets them where they're going expeditiously and the air conditioning works. Sure, a few elected officials may whine for the sake of whining, since whining scores them brownie points. But the typical rider simply doesn't care. The R62A's are reliable cars with good ride quality and cool air conditioning.

They work wonderfully and people can tell very quickly (like under a second) if its a (7) or <7> . The 6 has the advantage of the countdown clocks that say if the next train is a (6) or <6> so the LEDs aren't as important on the 6.

I haven't heard any complaints about the R62A (6) Train from the passengers, but the crew at Westchester Yard are not happy having the R62A over there. How you think cars 2141-2145 got swapped for 1746-1750. Either way, if a the train can take me to my destination, I'll be satisfied no matter if the eqquipment is old or new.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that because a lot of the current operators came in the last 10 years? Those guys NEED to learn how to operate a SMEE and be glad they had the honor. I'd sure love too.

Isn't that because a lot of the current operators came in the last 10 years? Those guys NEED to learn how to operate a SMEE and be glad they had the honor. I'd sure love too.

The ops get trained on all revenue equipment during schoolcar. Having to bring your brake handle again is more of a reason to dislike the swap. Part of the job either way but still.

The ops get trained on all revenue equipment during schoolcar. Having to bring your brake handle again is more of a reason to dislike the swap. Part of the job either way but still.

Irrelevant its part of Your Tools you bring it. So what if a TO "dont like it". All that will do is get you written up when they do spot checks.. Which they do a lot down here.

Um excuse me? You know this How?  Im a Train Operator for 11 years(Open Competitive) how long have you been a TO?

• Upvote 2

If you don't like them then don't ride them.

Thanks. But I never said in my original post that I did not like the R62A. But thank you anyway for your advice!

This was the main point I was trying to get across. Im sure that the outcry will happen eventually! I just wonder how the MTA will address it?