R142A & R62A Car Swap

F#ck that, everybody goes through subway cars. Pointing out the illegality of that is like pointing out the illegality of jaywalking. 

The second part of your statement is exactly correct. I wouldn't do something to make a Jaywalker's life more convenient either. 

(Also, as someone who spent a few weeks in an ICU after being run over by a van: I wouldn't per-se recommend the jaywalking either. But if you jaywalk you might have to deal with a speeding van, if you go between subway cars you might have to deal with me in your way. Such are the consequences.)

I was on the (7) on Tuesday. Those half cabs are clearly there.

The R62As can handle the crowds very well they handled it good when they were on the   (6) for 20yrs and the (7) is one of the most crowded lines rush hour and even on weekends. If you wanna take the (4) or (5) when the swaps end then go ahead its your personal choice but let me warn you the (4) will be getting two sets of R62As for spares for Yankee Games or Rush Hours so you might encounter one there as well. If you have to ride the (6) then just deal with it being R62As if not good luck waiting an hour or 2 for an R142A

When I first heard about the Car Swap that has already begun between the Westchester and Corona Yards I must say I was a bit upset. As a daily rider of the R142A's on the (6) it will be a bit weird going back to the R62A's. 

I wonder if other riders feel the same way? In all honesty, I am very surprised that Upper East Side riders haven't been up in arms about the change that will eventually be more noticeable. For those that have had the chance to ride an R62A on the (6) have you heard any Manhattan riders voice their thoughts about the change?

Unfortunately for you, most of the people who ride the subways don't give a crap what their train looks or sounds like. As long as it gets them from point A to point B at a reasonable hour, they don't care/

the (4) will be getting two sets of R62As for spares for Yankee Games or Rush Hours

That seems highly unlikely to me. Why split the R62A's between three maintenance shops when two would suffice?

(In other words: it's not going to happen, at least not on a regular basis - of course, in emergencies, anything goes.)

That seems highly unlikely to me. Why split the R62A's between three maintenance shops when two would suffice?

(In other words: it's not going to happen, at least not on a regular basis - of course, in emergencies, anything goes.)

Those 2 will be just for spares if needed for yankee games or rush hours.

F#ck that, everybody goes through subway cars. Pointing out the illegality of that is like pointing out the illegality of jaywalking. 

True. I have the same attitude generally speaking.

But, I was noticing that plainclothed cops are cracking down on that like crazy as of the last couple of years really, dishing out civil violation tickets like loose change for illegally crossing cars, such violations which are impossible to fight in the MTA Abduction Buerau. Which if you do not pay on time or respond to the hearing for will be applied to your credit rating and screw it up.

On the other hand, NYPD officers could care less about jaywalkers on the street.

It's illegal to do so - why should I care about their convenience?

Yet when a psycho starts stabbing people (true story) on a rampage on a packed (D) train and the NYPD makes the decision to contain a psycho amongst scared shitless passengers stalling the train and keeping the doors locked that's perfectly OK. Gotcha.

75' car trains are locked because the ends of the cars do not line up (wide gap especially on turns). As for 60' and less, ideally the doors b/w cars should be unlocked, but the idea is to keep people from falling b/w cars for their own safety.

Oh, I meant the side doors. But yeah that's very true.

But I don't remember the NYPD really enforcing this aspect of the MTA rules when I was in HS for example. I guess if anything now they are nuts about giving out civil violation tickets in the subways to furfill stricter quota requirements, no?

How about NYPD start cracking down on cyclists who refuse to obey traffic signs? Now that this Citibike program has started, we have all new sorts of bikers who don't seem to understand that those stop signs and one way signs apply to them as well, and yesterday the first Citibike cyclist was killed when he ran a red light and hit a truck.

Oh, I meant the side doors. But yeah that's very true.

But I don't remember the NYPD really enforcing this aspect of the MTA rules when I was in HS for example. I guess if anything now they are nuts about giving out civil violation tickets in the subways to furfill stricter quota requirements, no?

Oh ok. But I do agree about it being a bad idea to have those riders stuck in the same car as that psycho. I would be very afraid if I was stuck in the same car as that person. That's where intercoms would be handy or staying in the same car as the c/r or t/o.

As for the ticketing thing, it seems more rampant now mainly with quotas. Plus you have people being ticketed for using another seat as a leg rester or for bags even if the car is virtually empty.

Plus you have people being ticketed for using another seat as a leg rester or for bags even if the car is virtually empty.

What? Man that's crazy. I'm aware that is part of the revised MTA rules of conduct but I did'nt know that the cops are capitalizing on that too! Betcha it's partly due to the sergeants putting on the pressure on PO's that otherwise would'nt bother with trivial violations such as that. Was this pattern displayed by the NYPD only recently? It's been only a short while ever since I moved out of state, sorta out of the loop as of now.

Of course It did used to piss me off when a punk lounges on the seats in the car like he thinks this is his/her rat infested living room..... lemmie not even get started on door hogs......

Edit:

How about NYPD start cracking down on cyclists who refuse to obey traffic signs? Now that this Citibike program has started, we have all new sorts of bikers who don't seem to understand that those stop signs and one way signs apply to them as well, and yesterday the first Citibike cyclist was killed when he ran a red light and hit a truck.

Tell me about it. I had to slam the brakes at an intersection one time as this idiot cyclyst was straggling when I was driving through the intersection @ the Grand Concourse. Obviously I had the green light.

Hard working B/Os out there, I feel your pain.....

So i'm being told that a car set with half cabs in each car (R62A) has the same capacity as one that only has a cab on the end cars (R142A). That just sounds silly.

Well, when you consider that the R142A has a full width cab and the R62A has two half width ones, it would appear that they take up the same amount of space overall.

I was on the (7) on Tuesday. Those half cabs are clearly there.

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

If I may, this Citibike program is probably the most retarded idea after the rejection of congestion pricing. They're basically asking for more death by stupidity.....

When did that happen? I would think that woulda been all over the news...

The R62As can handle the crowds very well they handled it good when they were on the   (6) for 20yrs and the (7) is one of the most crowded lines rush hour and even on weekends. If you wanna take the (4) or (5) when the swaps end then go ahead its your personal choice but let me warn you the (4) will be getting two sets of R62As for spares for Yankee Games or Rush Hours so you might encounter one there as well. If you have to ride the (6) then just deal with it being R62As if not good luck waiting an hour or 2 for an R142A.

The 4 getting a couple of sets of R62As is very preliminary speculation. As of right now the swap only involves Corona and Westchester Yards. Mosholu Yard currently is giving up nothing and that's the key here. Considering where 4 trains are stored. Mosholu Yard, Livonia Yard and Utica Avenue relay and spur tracks the 4 line is maxed out on all of its storage options during off peak hours. Even during the height of the rush there usually is a gap train or two waiting in Mosholu Yard along with a couple of trains sitting in the barn getting worked on or waiting for work to be done. Even with all of this one can go over to 207th Yard to find them working on a set from the 4 line. The 4 line is well covered.

The days of mixing equipment on lines for any reason other than a line swap are over. Especially for the sake of the barn to avoid forcing them to work on mixed equipment. Mosh Yard has a hell of a maintenance record. They likely wouldn't tolerate the thought.

Although, perhaps they could swap the remaining R142As from the 6 and give those to the 4 and have the 4 run all the R142As (after the 7 has the rest from the R188 conversion). In turn the 6 could take some R142s. *

*not saying it needs to be done, and I dunno how similar the 2 types are, but just wondering if they might do that (also given how some folks have said Westchester's R142As aren't running too well).

The primary reason for the R188 order is to cover the difference in car numbers needed to make the line fully New Tech in combination with the R142A. Once all is said and done there will be nothing left over.

Guest Lance

Actually, that's not true. The 7 line requires less cars than the 6, so some of the 142As will remain at Westchester Yard.

I would rather see R62As go to the (5) so that it would be easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4). It makes me laugh when people run for the train from the mezzanine, only to realize when they get to the platform that it is not their train. Having the (2) and (5) switch cars is stupid because the interior strip maps become useless. The (4) would be another good choice to get R62As, or send them to the (3), reduce it back to nine cars like it used to be, and have the R62s return to their home. Since none of that will likely happen, however, all I can is RIP to the best NTT announcement ever made:

Archived