R142A & R62A Car Swap

I would rather see R62As go to the (5) so that it would be easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4). It makes me laugh when people run for the train from the mezzanine, only to realize when they get to the platform that it is not their train. Having the (2) and (5) switch cars is stupid because the interior strip maps become useless. The (4) would be another good choice to get R62As, or send them to the (3), reduce it back to nine cars like it used to be, and have the R62s return to their home. Since none of that will likely happen, however, all I can is RIP to the best NTT announcement ever made:

Jesus, we've been through this before. The (2) and (5) switch cars at Flatbush, and since the switching is not going to end any time soon they won't send the R62As to the (5). Also, nobody cares what you think unless your job is to decide exactly where the cars would go.

As for your announcements, better start getting recordings now before you start crying about how you were too late.

I would rather see R62As go to the (5) so that it would be easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4). It makes me laugh when people run for the train from the mezzanine, only to realize when they get to the platform that it is not their train. Having the (2) and (5) switch cars is stupid because the interior strip maps become useless. The (4) would be another good choice to get R62As, or send them to the (3), reduce it back to nine cars like it used to be, and have the R62s return to their home. Since none of that will likely happen, however, all I can say is RIP to the best NTT announcement ever made:

It's not like the R62As are going to be in service forever on the (6). Besides, the NYCS system will eventually became 100% NTT years later. Plus, there are going to be leftover R142As that will still be running on the (6) as minority.

As for reducing the (3) back to nine-cars, that's completely uncalled for. They can still keep the RFW view as full length R62A trains, as proven months back on the (6). The (3) already is full length as it is, no need for the (MTA) to waste money by reducing it back to full length.

It's not like the R62As are going to be in service forever on the (6). Besides, the NYCS system will eventually became 100% NTT years later. Plus, there are going to be leftover R142As that will still be running on the (6) as minority.

As for reducing the (3) back to nine-cars, that's completely uncalled for. They can still keep the RFW view as full length R62A trains, as proven months back on the (6). The (3) already is full length as it is, no need for the (MTA) to waste money by reducing it back to full length.

What? Look the railfan window is going away. That's one of the reasons the R62As are getting set back to Coney Island. For that work to specifically be done. There are operational reasons that need not be discussed as to why the cabs are going back to full length.

Going back to the topic of how many R142As remain at Westchester. As of right now that number is zero. Yes the 7 requires less cars than the 6 however the 7 line needs more cars to cover the same headways with the increased distance to the new terminal. As of right now if all were to remain the same with equipment the 7 line would run short with the opening of 34th St. At the height of each rush hour the 7 line usually has one train left in Corona Yard and its availability can vary between gap train and needing work via the barn. Then inside the barn you usually have a two trains being worked on. Not to mention at any given time one of Corona's trains could be off in Coney Island getting a motor truck overhaul.

There are a lot of nuances that goes into how much rolling stock is enough per line. But the point stands as of right now all R142As are to go to the 7 line. 

I would rather see R62As go to the (5) so that it would be easier to distinguish it from the (2) and (4). It makes me laugh when people run for the train from the mezzanine, only to realize when they get to the platform that it is not their train. Having the (2) and (5) switch cars is stupid because the interior strip maps become useless. The (4) would be another good choice to get R62As, or send them to the (3), reduce it back to nine cars like it used to be, and have the R62s return to their home. Since none of that will likely happen, however, all I can is RIP to the best NTT announcement ever made:

Jeez you sound like an broken record...its the same shit you say on facebook...

What? Look the railfan window is going away. That's one of the reasons the R62As are getting set back to Coney Island. For that work to specifically be done. There are operational reasons that need not be discussed as to why the cabs are going back to full length.

Going back to the topic of how many R142As remain at Westchester. As of right now that number is zero. Yes the 7 requires less cars than the 6 however the 7 line needs more cars to cover the same headways with the increased distance to the new terminal. As of right now if all were to remain the same with equipment the 7 line would run short with the opening of 34th St. At the height of each rush hour the 7 line usually has one train left in Corona Yard and its availability can vary between gap train and needing work via the barn. Then inside the barn you usually have a two trains being worked on. Not to mention at any given time one of Corona's trains could be off in Coney Island getting a motor truck overhaul.

There are a lot of nuances that goes into how much rolling stock is enough per line. But the point stands as of right now all R142As are to go to the 7 line. 

Hey, I'm just saying - since without a doubt they can still p-o-s-s-i-b-i-l-y keep the RFW, weather they choose to or not.

And the (7) is going to have a total of 46 eleven-car trains as soon as the R62As are officially on the (6). According to Joe Korner's NYCS car sheet, the (7) runs 30-32 trains at rush hour. Why should the (MTA) send all of Westchester's R142As to Corona just for the 34th extension, meaning that the (6) will get cut? They can add eight more trains to the (7), leaving six trains as spares and leave 70 leftover R142A cars at Westchester so that they wouldn't have to end up cutting (6) service.

If I'm not mistaken, 380 R142As are to be converted and remodeled as R188s while the other new R188 cars will consist of 126 cars. That's 506 cars or 46 eleven-car trains.

Just because the latter would run short due to one more station on the line being open doesn't mean the former's service have to be cut.

Hey, I'm just saying - since without a doubt they can still p-o-s-s-i-b-i-l-y keep the RFW, weather they choose to or not.

And the (7) is going to have a total of 46 eleven-car trains as soon as the R62As are officially on the (6). According to Joe Korner's NYCS car sheet, the (7) runs 30-32 trains at rush hour. Why should the (MTA) send all of Westchester's R142As to Corona just for the 34th extension, meaning that the (6) will get cut? They can add eight more trains to the (7), leaving six trains as spares and leave 70 leftover R142A cars at Westchester so that they wouldn't have to end up cutting (6) service.

If I'm not mistaken, 380 R142As are to be converted and remodeled as R188s while the other new R188 cars will consist of 126 cars. That's 506 cars or 46 eleven-car trains.

Just because the latter would run short due to one more station on the line being open doesn't mean the former's service have to be cut.

One thing folks like us who work down here have mostly understood..

We dont *try* to figure out Why the MTA does what it does not worth it. We can *question* why they do it yes.

If some folks wanna  try to figure it out and analyze it hey that's their thing.

So... what now? Will the (6) have its service cut, since the (7)'s R62As won't be enough to provide the same level of service?

No but remember after the swaps end there will be 40 R62As left wich if all R142As from westchester leave can get assigned to the (6) as well and if needed the (6) can borrow an R62A from the (1) or an R142A from the (4)

One thing folks like us who work down here have mostly understood..

We dont *try* to figure out Why the MTA does what it does not worth it. We can *question* why they do it yes.

If some folks wanna  try to figure it out and analyze it hey that's their thing.

That outlook leaves us some food for thought when it comes to transit discussions.

How about NYPD start cracking down on cyclists who refuse to obey traffic signs? Now that this Citibike program has started, we have all new sorts of bikers who don't seem to understand that those stop signs and one way signs apply to them as well, and yesterday the first Citibike cyclist was killed when he ran a red light and hit a truck.

The NYPD already tickets cyclists at a greater rate than motorists, even though motorists kill hundreds of New Yorkers every year. No cyclist has killed anybody in NYC in over four years.

When was the last time you saw a motorist pulled over for speeding, for running a red light, for blowing a stop sign, or for cutting off pedestrians while turning? All of those actions are illegal, and all of those actions actually kill people - and the chance of a motorist being ticketed for any of those infractions is tiny.

I completely agree that enforcement needs to be stepped up, but it needs to be stepped up primarily on those who create a real danger.

By the way, I have no idea what you're referring to with "yesterday the first Citibike cyclist was killed when he ran a red light and hit a truck." Are you referring to this story? It's not even clear what happened - if the cyclist entered the intersection with the green or yellow signal that turned red midway through, then the driver was legally obligated to wait for him to clear the intersection before proceeding on green. (That, of course, is far too nuanced for the NYPD, whose SOP in car-bike and car-ped crashes is to ask the driver what happened, take his word as gospel, declare "no criminality," and move on. Why bother trying to establish the facts by, say, asking witnesses or reviewing surveillance camera footage?) But whatever happened, he wasn't killed.

Well, when you consider that the R142A has a full width cab and the R62A has two half width ones, it would appear that they take up the same amount of space overall.

The R142A has 4 full-width cabs per train. The R62A has 4 full-width cabs plus 16 half-width cabs per train (assuming 10 cars).

When did that happen? I would think that woulda been all over the news...

It didn't happen.

This is completely incorrect.

The R188 order consists of 10 fully new 11-car trains plus 36 converted trains, each made up of ten converted R142A's plus one new car. That means that the 6 will be giving up only 36 trains for conversion (it currently runs 40 trains, plus spares). The 146 new cars will be sufficient to cover the West Side extension on the 7.

(Replacing 40 10-car trains with 32 11-car trains would force a 12% service cut on the 6. That obviously isn't happening.)

Archived