Soul legend Isaac Hayes dies at age 65

trainfan22

CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967, and his 1969 follow-up, "Hot Buttered Soul," became a platinum hit.

Don't Miss

iReport.com: Your memories of Isaac Hayes

In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two

Link here http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/

-----------------------------------------

geez two big names pass away in two days weird.......

He was a genius indeed and Shaft wouldn't be the same without Issac's music on it. I heard that he was one of the people who helped influence rap and disco. He was great playing Chef on South Park and it wasn't the same without him when he left in 2006.

This weekend truly sucked with Bernie Mac passing away and now Issac Hayes. What makes this even more creepy is that Bernie and Issac are going to be in a movie together with Samuel L. Jackson called "Soul Men" coming out in November. My thoughts and prayers go out to Issac's family and friends

R.I.P. Mr Issac Hayes.

I lost respect for Issac after the Scientology incident involving South Park. Plus his wife has been quoted saying that he hasn't been in good health the last few years. Wouldn't surprise me if it was due to Scientology since they don't believe in modern medicine.

Archived