Montague tube to close for more than a year for repairs

wally, why do you feel the need to REPEAT everything you said when your try to justify your plans. We know what your cockamamie idea is, we don't want to read it again...

The hell is with people and their (W) fetish...

It goes back to them not likeing change. They want the subway frozen as they knew it. No changes in routes or equipment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the point of making a (W) if the (R) will still be running full length on weekends? If it was a full-time split for a long time, maybe you could do it. Otherwise, no point in the (W) thing.

My plan would have included a weekend split so the lower Manhattan stations received service on the Broadway line outside of overnights (which is why I had the Manhattan branch become (W) ),  All the moves I would have done would have been with keeping pols happy.

14 months is a really long time to close the tube.it looks like this tunnel got almost as much damage as the South Ferry New station terminal.also the MTA said they had another option was to close the tunnel every weekend for 38 months.Would that have been better than this? What your take?

14 months is a really long time to close the tube.it looks like this tunnel got almost as much damage as the South Ferry New station terminal.also the MTA said they had another option was to close the tunnel every weekend for 38 months.Would that have been better than this? What your take?

Obviously if they're doing it like this then they realize the urgency of getting this done and done quickly rather than piece mealing it.  They need to start taking this approach more often.  Either way people will b*tch and moan, but do it, shut it down and hire the right contractors to go in there and do it right with some damn proper supervision.  This project requires billions of dollars so don't get some Joe Schmoe to half @ss the job.  <_<

I don't understand the weekend service plan for the R. I mean can they really get away with closing those stations just to run the R over the bridge? And isn't it better off to have people transfer to the N/Q as they would do anyway? I don't see any issue with a split R service. Everything seems to be covered just minus the direct Brooklyn-Manhattan run and there's plenty of alternatives with the IRT.

I'm too tired to understand the need for the W to return. It's a split R service, there's no need to rename either end of the line. In 1999, there were 2 M services when the Willy B was closed. The basic route is unchanged. The tunnel is the only portion altered. As for equipment, well the F stores trains at Av X yard, so maybe the R can just keep running R46s and store its trains there?

Guest Lance

@GC: I guess they feel that there's enough redundancy with the Lexington and 7th Avenue lower lines. Whether that proves to be true has yet to be determined.

when they close the montague during the weekends also when they have the (R) running via the bridge i propose a shuttle bus that runs from canal to whitehall to appease the people dependent on the (R) in the lower manhattan and would complain about the alternatives as they did after the hurricane and would complain to their politicans.

https://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=218345366120084192601&hl=en&gl=us

when they close the montague during the weekends also when they have the (R) running via the bridge i propose a shuttle bus that runs from canal to whitehall to appease the people dependent on the (R) in the lower manhattan and would complain about the alternatives as they did after the hurricane and would complain to their politicans.

No need for shuttle buses because due to the amount of train lines in Lower Manhatan. There is a lot of traffic in Manhattan which can delay the shuttle buses, You have the (4)  (5)  (1)  (A)  (2)  (3)  (C)  (E)  (J)  (6) running there. The traffic in Manhattan can make the shuttle buses useless.

No need for shuttle buses because due to the amount of train lines in Lower Manhatan. There is a lot of traffic in Manhattan which can delay the shuttle buses, You have the (4)  (5)  (1) servicing South Ferry. (A)  (2)  (3)  (C)  (E)  (J)  (6) also serve Lower Manhanttan but not South Ferry. It's reduant for shuttle buses.

yeah your right but those people screamed foul when they had lost their ferry connection. but the have the (1) also i figured giving them an additional alternative incase they dont like that.

Why are we making concessions for complainers with bad complains?

lol @ you propose a shuttle bus.

Call 511 and leave a message of your proposal

LOL... I think this WallyHorse guy is hilarious.  The only time he posts is when there are train diversions and then he comes up with all of these fantasy routes.  :lol:

True, but he does post outside of diversion topics: I ve seen posts from in the create your own subway route topic and some other topic about fantasy lines lol.

No need for shuttle buses because due to the amount of train lines in Lower Manhatan. There is a lot of traffic in Manhattan which can delay the shuttle buses, You have the (4)  (5)  (1)  (A)  (2)  (3)  (C)  (E)  (J)  (6) running there. The traffic in Manhattan can make the shuttle buses useless.

Yes, that is true, however, the changes I wrote were again specifically done to cut off any loudmouth pols from trying to "grandstand" and win votes by then taking the (MTA) to court to force them to keep all stations (other than those in lower Manhattan where they are ways to work around the Broadway line being shut down) open at all times in some way or form.  

Why are we making concessions for complainers with bad complains?

lol @ you propose a shuttle bus.

Call 511 and leave a message of your proposal

ehh you know what your right forget the shuttle bus they can use the (1) have to change at 42nd street

It's been confirmed. According to the Wall St Journal, the tube will close soon for 12-14 months for repairs. What's not known is how the (R) will operate, but they predict 71-Whitehall and Court-95 on weekdays, and the full route via Manhattan Bridge on weekends. They also mention the (G) train tube closing for a good number of weekends too.

Source: Wall St Journal

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/i/SB10001424127887324563004578525602849939578

Edit: There's a few similar posts in the random thoughts thread. I didn't read that before posting this.

This topic is worthy of its own discussion.   The post was promoted to an article for the front page.  Thanks for posting!

Archived