Next Conductor Exam!

Curtispaul81

Hey all you wonderful people. I have questions for those who work in transit and those who took the last conductors exam. After gathering information around the forum is the next conductor exam coming out around the 2014-2015 period? and also the most important question, What is the test like?? This is really my career choice in life and I want to start getting ready early because it's a long wait and right now i'm waiting for the exam to roll around and then i'm waiting for the chance to be an MTA employee. Many people might say just relax and wait, but you have know idea what it feels like to take the subway and see those employees doing a job that you've loved and dreamed about doing since a child. I'm taking time off from college right now so I can get my two years of customer service if in case they do require that. I currently work at Mc Donald's since april 23rd. Really looking to find a new job.. haha. BUT yes please can somebody tell me what the test is like and where I can find the material to study! I don't want to get the wrong book or something. Thank you for reading this!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you except by then I'll be graduating from high school, it'll suck for me if they require the customer experience because i have no job experience, and I just wanna use the c/r position to get my foot in that way I can take a promotion exam to become a motorman

well i can tell you some tips on this test. know the subway route inside out. think the smart way you would handle the situation. know all the good tourist spot and closest station to get there. my friend was so dumb he dosent even know where yankee stadium is.(by borough). Even tho we studied for this test together i do have a book to give away for small price. if you that much in hurry, probably not there yet, civil service book store on worth street in manhattan. just a warning tho you can have hundreds of applicant scored 100 on their test. i was number 543 with like 200 applicant score 100. Also you need to put payment on test the very first day so whatever you score on the test you will be likely first in line except if your listed in military or present employee of (MTA)

If it's anything like the last C/R exam, you should get a 100 on it if you

- can read directions and follow them

- have plenty of common sense (there are some "what would you do in this situation?" questions)

- can do military time math

- can read a subway map

You don't have to study for this exam. All of the answers are right there in the question descriptions, you just need to read everything very carefully and eliminate the stupid answer choices.

Also, the date you register does NOT affect your score or ranking. As long as you pay during the filing period, it doesn't matter when. Ties are broken based on randomization of your SSN.

Also, the date you register does NOT affect your score or ranking. As long as you pay during the filing period, it doesn't matter when. Ties are broken based on randomization of your SSN.

Debatable. Maybe not anymore now that the MTA runs it's own exams. It was well known that filing earlier made a difference with DCAS and I seen it play out personally by asking peers for their filing date and scores.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you except by then I'll be graduating from high school, it'll suck for me if they require the customer experience because i have no job experience, and I just wanna use the c/r position to get my foot in that way I can take a promotion exam to become a motorman

I know what you mean. Check for stuff on craigslist. i'm pretty sure there are daily posts that offer some recruitment event that dont require candidates to have experience.   

Thanks for clearing up some questions and concerns snowblock, and do you know when's the next c/r exam and whether I'll be able to qualify for it after I graduate?

If they require two years customer service chances are you wont qualify =/. Start early cause remember we're waiting right now for the exam to come out and then we're waiting for the MTA to call us. The last exam was around 2008-2009. So be reminded of the gap. Look for something that you can balance with school. You'll get some experience and money in your pocket.

Debatable. Maybe not anymore now that the MTA runs it's own exams. It was well known that filing earlier made a difference with DCAS and I seen it play out personally by asking peers for their filing date and scores.

Well that DEFINITELY wasn't the case with the 2008 C/R exam. People who applied much later than me and had the same score as me got lower file #'s. I filed the very first day and just about everyone in my class filed later on yet still got a better file #.

Thanks for clearing up some questions and concerns snowblock, and do you know when's the next c/r exam and whether I'll be able to qualify for it after I graduate?

The next exam will probably be sometime in 2014. I'm not sure if the job prerequisite is at the time of the exam, or at the time of hiring, but either way get started on your customer service experience NOW.

Well that DEFINITELY wasn't the case with the 2008 C/R exam. People who applied much later than me and had the same score as me got lower file #'s. I filed the very first day and just about everyone in my class filed later on yet still got a better file #.

The next exam will probably be sometime in 2014. I'm not sure if the job prerequisite is at the time of the exam, or at the time of hiring, but either way get started on your customer service experience NOW.

So if it's at the time of the exam and you only have one year you're pretty much screwed? Is there a way to appeal? 'Cause I think a year of customer service is better than no years

Thanks snow block your customer service training is kicking in lol... I graduate in 2014 so I don't think I'll qualify =[ and have you ever thought of taking a promotional exam to become a motorman?

I know what you mean. Check for stuff on craigslist. i'm pretty sure there are daily posts that offer some recruitment event that dont require candidates to have experience.   

If they require two years customer service chances are you wont qualify =/. Start early cause remember we're waiting right now for the exam to come out and then we're waiting for the MTA to call us. The last exam was around 2008-2009. So be reminded of the gap. Look for something that you can balance with school. You'll get some experience and money in your pocket.

I'm looking for a plan b, I don't want to be unemployed living with my parents I'm probably going to attend a two year college to have something to fall back on but I really do want to work for the mta

Archived