More delays in store for inter-boro riders as MTA announces G line closure for 16 weekends

Harry

post-5097-0-66350700-1370522673_thumb.jpg
Some inter-borough (G) train loyalists will have to find another way to cross the border when a chunk of their beloved subway line goes on the shelf for 16 weekends, starting in July. Sections of the train’s subway tunnel are slated for massive renovations, needed to repair equipment that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Three stops along the train line will be out of commission during the major facelift, temporarily derailing hundreds of locals who use the beloved line — the only one that connects Brooklyn to Queens without going through Manhattan and the lone underground trasit from yuppified Park Slope to the hipster enclaves of Fort Greene, Greenpoint and Williamsburg.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-66350700-1370522673_thumb.jpg

I've been warning you all about this for the past month. At FIRST it's just going to be weekends, but before this project is over, they're going to be replacing the foundations of the walls and ceiling which is going to cause a 24/7 shutdown for at least a month.

[Wallyhorse]The way I would do this is run 8 car R46's on the southern portion between Nassau and Church, called the (G) and have a 2 car R68A shuttle run between Queens Plaza and 21 St-Van Alst and call it the (W) to keep the pols happy. And then have one shuttle bus running 24/7 express from Nassau to Queensboro Plaza, and another one which runs local between Nassau and Court Square. Oh yeah, and extend the (6) to the South Ferry inner loop from 10PM-6AM. [/Wallyhorse]

I've been warning you all about this for the past month. At FIRST it's just going to be weekends, but before this project is over, they're going to be replacing the foundations of the walls and ceiling which is going to cause a 24/7 shutdown for at least a month.

[Wallyhorse]The way I would do this is run 8 car R46's on the southern portion between Nassau and Church, called the (G) and have a 2 car R68A shuttle run between Queens Plaza and 21 St-Van Alst and call it the (W) to keep the pols happy. And then have one shuttle bus running 24/7 express from Nassau to Queensboro Plaza, and another one which runs local between Nassau and Court Square. Oh yeah, and extend the (6) to the South Ferry inner loop from 10PM-6AM. [/Wallyhorse]

You forgot about sending the (C) over the (J) to Broadway Junction so people will have a better alternative.

How are they going to handle riders who want to go from Bedford-Nostrand to Queens Blvd?  Will they pay extra employees to hand out "block tickets" at both the Brooklyn and Queens subway stations so you can re-enter for free with your pay-per-ride metrocard?  Or will they just open the fare gates at the subway entrances next to the shuttle buses (similar to how they did at Broadway/Nassau - Fulton St) to save the expense of extra employee salaries?

How are they going to handle riders who want to go from Bedford-Nostrand to Queens Blvd?  Will they pay extra employees to hand out "block tickets" at both the Brooklyn and Queens subway stations so you can re-enter for free with your pay-per-ride metrocard?  Or will they just open the fare gates at the subway entrances next to the shuttle buses (similar to how they did at Broadway/Nassau - Fulton St) to save the expense of extra employee salaries?

You have a personal problem with paying employees extra money? Or you just have a problem with all MTA workers because one closed the door on your ass and left you on the platform?

You have a personal problem with paying employees extra money? Or you just have a problem with all MTA workers because one closed the door on your ass and left you on the platform?

Im guessing it could be the latter ...

You forgot about sending the (C) over the (J) to Broadway Junction so people will have a better alternative.

lmao! You guys got it down to perfectly.

Nah Wallyhorse would be the guy that would say "Let's attach jet engines to the (G) and have them fly to Forest Hills-71st Avenue while it makes all the stops in between. I know there is no room to allow them to fly out so we should rip a hole at the Nassau Avenue station so trains can fly out. It would make politicians happy! People might not be happy to have 8 car (G) trains landing on the street disturbing traffic and crushing cars, but why care? It would benefit the city!"

Hmmm, The B32 probably has nothing to do with but you gotta wonder.....

Off-topic, don't quote!

The existence of that upcoming/particular route you mention I won't discuss in here....

Anyway, This reminds me of the time when the G got cut back to Court sq. from 71st-continental (and the revocation of the amt. of cars that used to run on the line as well) & people suggesting that it could be a ploy to get rid of the G entirely, to have only bus service linking Williamsburg/Greenpoint & LIC/Court Sq/QBP in Queens.....

The G is one line I never underestimated & wasn't all that thrilled when they cut it back from 71st to make way for the old V.....

The (G) with its ridiculous headways and shitty service actually does not save that much more time than looping through Manhattan... you only save time if's already there waiting for you

Another case of making the (G) look bad even though it comes on time like any other. How can it be late all the time if the only other line it has to worry about jumping in front is the (F)?

Except that it really does not. The F runs very frequently, at headways which do not intermesh with the G's at all, resulting in lumpy G service , forced onto an uneven headway. With uneven headways, you get substantially more bunching of trains, and while there are currently no capacity issues, you will get crush loaded trains, as you will get two trains worth of people squeezing onto one train, with an empty train behind it. 

Archived