Montague St Tunnel Closure - Exp. Bus Service Restorations & Increases Requested

SENATOR GOLDEN CALLS FOR EXPANDED TRANSPORTATION SERVICE FOR RESIDENTS FOLLOWING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF MONTAGUE STREET TUNNEL CLOSURE

Posted by Martin J. Golden on Wednesday, June 5th, 2013

Closure set for 14 months for construction due to Sandy.

Albany, NY – State Senator Martin J. Golden (R-C-I, Brooklyn) today has sent a letter to President Thomas F. Prendergast of the MTA NYCT and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg calling for expanded and increased transportation alternatives to alleviate the strain on commuters during the proposed 14 month long closure of the Montague Street Tunnel.

The letter calls for the following services:

· An increase of 50% in frequency of both X27 & X28 service

· A full restoration of the X28 Weekend Service

· A reduced fare for Express Bus Service for the X27 and X28 throughout the construction.

· A full restoration of the B37, the former 3rd Avenue Bus Line

· The NYC EDC and DOT reinstate ferry service at the Brooklyn Army Terminal to take residents from Brooklyn to Manhattan

· Shuttle Service in downtown Brooklyn to take riders into Manhattan.

Source: http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senator-golden-calls-expanded-transportation-service-residents-following-announcement-

----

This should be very interesting.  Senator Golden was on Fox 5 this morning meeting with his constituents at the 77th street station to get their takes on the strain that the (R) service disruptions would have on their commutes and they were not thrilled to say the least.  Knowing how vocal these communities are (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights) I don't see how the (MTA) can avoid restoring some of these services, in particular weekend X28 service and the B37.  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep dreaming. Why not demand personal limo service for every customer who lives on the (R) line too?

You may say that but this isn't the first time that Bay Ridge has had their subway service affected.  Years ago there was work done and the (MTA) provided X27 an X28 service during the time that the work was done.  This would be no different and I think it's a very fair request.  Before this situation occurred, constituents had been pushing for better (R) train service.  Service improvements should be able about improving the commutes of the commuters first and foremost. I agree with the bus restorations, but I think the express bus fare should remain at $6.00.

If they start giving Bay Ridge residents a break on the express fare, EVERY other express rider in the city is going to start demanding a break too.

I agree... I think that's a bit too far.  Staten Island for years complained about the express bus fares and wanted them lowered, arguing that they have no subways.  The argument being made is that this would be Sandy money.  Nevertheless, if commuters want a quicker commute they should pay a premium for it.  The other things I agree with.  I mean if you're calling for ferry service, I'm sure they're not going to discount that, so why should the express bus be any different?  

But every single station affected by this has an alternative station within waking distance, hell even in the same station complex...

Jay St has the (F)

Court St has the (2)(3)(4)(5)

Whitehall St has the (1) with Bowling Green up the street

Rector St has the (1) across the street

City Hall & Cortlandt St both have Fulton St and Brooklyn Bridge within a block

Why should they get special treatment just because their commute is gonna be longer by about 10 minutes tops.

But every single station affected by this has an alternative station within waking distance, hell even in the same station complex...

Jay St has the (F)

Court St has the (2)(3)(4)(5)

Whitehall St has the (1) with Bowling Green up the street

Rector St has the (1) across the street

City Hall & Cortlandt St both have Fulton St and Brooklyn Bridge within a block

Why should they get special treatment just because their commute is gonna be longer by about 10 minutes tops.

Alternatives that are generally already crowded... They aren't getting special treatment.  I don't know where you get 10 minutes from either... If it was a poorer neighborhood I don't think you'd be screaming that they're getting "special treatment".

A better idea would be...

(5) service runs to Flatbush or nearest possible terminal in Brooklyn weekends, no (5) shutdowns every weekend and the B51's comeback.

They seriously expect expanded EXPRESS BUS service out of BAY RIDGE of all places because of a SUBWAY shutdown? Give me a break. And they want the fare lowered too?

(5) service runs to Flatbush or nearest possible terminal in Brooklyn weekends, no (5) shutdowns every weekend and the B51's comeback.

They seriously expect expanded EXPRESS BUS service out of BAY RIDGE of all places because of a SUBWAY shutdown? Give me a break. And they want the fare lowered too?

Yes and they say it with a str face....

I'll just have the R run in two section's Court St-95St  Whitehall-South Ferry-71 Continental and have a free out of system transfer between the R at South Ferry and the 4&5 at Bowling Green..Add extra 4&5 trains during rush hours 

And what exactly is that supposed to mean? The X27 is the 4th highest used express bus in the NYCT system, trailing only the X1, X17, and X10, so express bus service is not some sort of "strange thing in Bay Ridge".  The X28 is 5th, right after the X27.

That's exactly what I would do with the (5) as part of my plan that would have the split (R) with the entire Brooklyn portion running at all times while the (6) picks up the slack when the (5) isn't running to Brooklyn, going to Atlantic Avenue.

That to me would be easiest.

And what exactly is that supposed to mean? The X27 is the 4th highest used express bus in the NYCT system, trailing only the X1, X17, and X10, so express bus service is not some sort of "strange thing in Bay Ridge".  The X28 is 5th, right after the X27.

They want a faster, premium fare express bus in place of a longer, lower-fare subway service and they want the fare lowered. That's messed up, I mean yeah they're doing work and it's gonna affect your commute but as long as the TA doesn't screw up the (4)(5) it's just a little extra walking between trains at Atlantic. The MTA isn't gonna provide more faster express service with lower fares in place of the (R).

That's exactly what I would do with the (5) as part of my plan that would have the split (R) with the entire Brooklyn portion running at all times while the (6) picks up the slack when the (5) isn't running to Brooklyn, going to Atlantic Avenue.

That to me would be easiest.

Extending the (5) on weekends is a better idea than extending the (6), since it already runs to Bowling Green (well when the TA doesn't cut it back to East 180th, which they do about every weekend). Late nights I don't really see the need to extend the (6) since ridership is low that time of night and the (R) doesn't run that late anyway.

They want a faster, premium fare express bus in place of a longer, lower-fare subway service and they want the fare lowered. That's messed up, I mean yeah they're doing work and it's gonna affect your commute but as long as the TA doesn't screw up the (4)(5) it's just a little extra walking between trains at Atlantic. The MTA isn't gonna provide more faster express service with lower fares in place of the (R).

Well that part I agree with. I think the service should be provided but not at a reduced fare.  

since senator golden wants the b37 restored the reason it was cut because there was the (R) the next block over and when  the  (MTA) made their cuts in 2010 they just threw everyone on the (R) correct?

Not correct.  The (MTA) claimed that it was due to low ridership but the ridership was just fine in Bay Ridge since many people used it to go shopping or get around in the area. The Northern terminus was the problem, but now with Sunset Park growing and the Barclay's Center there Downtown, the B37 would probably see increased use.

I'll just have the R run in two section's Court St-95St  Whitehall-South Ferry-71 Continental and have a free out of system transfer between the R at South Ferry and the 4&5 at Bowling Green..Add extra 4&5 trains during rush hours 

Now how are they going to add more rush hour 4&5 trains to an already overused, over-capacity line? Have you ever taken the Lex in Lower Manhattan during both rush hours?

Alternatives that are generally already crowded... They aren't getting special treatment. I don't know where you get 10 minutes from either... If it was a poorer neighborhood I don't think you'd be screaming that they're getting "special treatment".

Just what exactly are you trying to imply there...

We won't complain. Some people are actually grateful they live near a train and if shit gets bad, there's always another alternative like another train. There's absolutely no need for the express bus when there's other trains available. Why pay more for extra resources when you already have plenty of other options that are there.

If they don't wanna take another train, then top bad for them. No need to bend over backwards for them when there's other areas that doesn't even have a train in the first place

Just what exactly are you trying to imply there...

We won't complain. Some people are actually grateful they live near a train and if shit gets bad, there's always another alternative like another train. There's absolutely no need for the express bus when there's other trains available. Why pay more for extra resources when you already have plenty of other options that are there.

If they don't wanna take another train, then top bad for them. No need to bend over backwards for them when there's other areas that doesn't even have a train in the first place

It's funny that when more affluent areas call for service, they're not entitled to it, but Co-Op City can scream and yell for their buses back and I don't recall you saying anything about that.  Two different standards...

These people have jobs to get to, families to feed, etc. and if they rely on the subway to get there and if it's going to be a mess for over a year, then the (MTA) should do what it can to try to alleviate that problem.  They tend to do more for the poorer areas because they're more dependent (supposedly) on transportation than more affluent areas, which I think is ridiculous.  EVERY neighborhood needs their transportation and Bay Ridge is no different, so I applaud them for standing up and fighting for what is theirs because poorer areas like Co-Op City certainly scream and shout even louder and no one says a peep.

It's funny that when more affluent areas call for service, they're not entitled to it, but Co-Op City can scream and yell for their buses back and I don't recall you saying anything about that. Two different standards...

These people have jobs to get to, families to feed, etc. and if they rely on the subway to get there and if it's going to be a mess for over a year, then the (MTA) should do what it can to try to alleviate that problem. They tend to do more for the poorer areas because they're more dependent (supposedly) on transportation than more affluent areas, which I think is ridiculous. EVERY neighborhood needs their transportation and Bay Ridge is no different.

I could care less about Co-OP City. You're missing the point I'm trying to make. There's options there already, it won't hurt to take another train...

I could care less about Co-OP City. You're missing the point I'm trying to make. There's options there already, it won't hurt to take another train...

I'm sure you could care less about Co-Op City.  I'm not missing the point at all because there's always "other options" available.  Just because you think those options suite them doesn't make it so, as if somehow because those people flock to those other lines, suddenly those lines will have so much space on them that they can just use those lines.  I mean that's ridiculous.  Half of the folks that make these suggestions about it not being a big deal don't have to get up and work a 9-5 for a living and support a family and when your job depends on those "other options" you'll see just how "easy" it is.  Plenty of people have gotten canned because of constant screw ups with this type of service and YES, I know, they can get up early and get up earlier and earlier... Been there and done that and that story gets old real fast, so I know what a PITA it is to deal with a commute like that.  I heard some people's commutes are going to be extended significantly by this mess and it's extremely tiring to have to make all of those transfers then fight your way onto the subway and make it to work and hope to get there on time even when you "get up and out earlier".  

These commuters did not create this situation and they should not be "punished" because of an unfortunate situation. If there is money to make their commutes tolerable during this inconvenience then the (MTA) should do what they can to accommodate them.  Fair is fair. I don't however think that they should lower the express bus fares as that is going too far.

I'm sure you could care less about Co-Op City.  I'm not missing the point at all because there's always "other options" available.  Just because you think those options suite them doesn't make it so, as if somehow because those people flock to those other lines, suddenly those lines will have so much space on them that they can just use those lines.  I mean that's ridiculous.  Half of the folks that make these suggestions about it not being a big deal don't have to get up and work a 9-5 for a living and support a family and when your job depends on those "other options" you'll see just how "easy" it is.  Plenty of people have gotten canned because of constant screw ups with this type of service and YES, I know, they can get up early and get up earlier and earlier... Been there and done that and that story gets old real fast, so I know what a PITA it is to deal with a commute like that.  I heard some people's commutes are going to be extended significantly by this mess and it's extremely tiring to have to make all of those transfers then fight your way onto the subway and make it to work and hope to get there on time even when you "get up and out earlier".  

These commuters did not create this situation and they should not be "punished" because of an unfortunate situation. If there is money to make their commutes tolerable during this inconvenience then the (MTA) should do what they can to accommodate them.  Fair is fair. I don't however think that they should lower the express bus fares as that is going too far.

Well, it's either they use the alternatives or they stay home.

If it was a poorer neighborhood I don't think you'd be screaming that they're getting "special treatment".

1) It is special treatment.

2) If it were a poorer neighborhood, they would be more deserving of special treatment. 

3) What pseudo-classism are you trying to make up here? Nobody in Bay Ridge is suffering...

Archived