Montague St Tunnel Closure - Exp. Bus Service Restorations & Increases Requested

I second that post. My best friend has been there all her life and the only thing she has to complain about.......is that she's been there her whole life lol I like Bay Ridge. I never would have personally seen how on time the (R) is if she didn't live there.

To be honest, I have no clue where I'm going with this post. But I'm gonna post it anyway....

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not correct.  The (MTA) claimed that it was due to low ridership but the ridership was just fine in Bay Ridge since many people used it to go shopping or get around in the area. The Northern terminus was the problem, but now with Sunset Park growing and the Barclay's Center there Downtown, the B37 would probably see increased use.

So this is what BreedDekalb was referencing in another thread.....

The northern terminal was not the problem... Usage on the B37 north of bay ridge was lacking.... That includes Sunset Park.

The Bay ridge folks were the ones mainly utilizing the B37 within bay ridge, and to downtown.....

As far as this:

The letter calls for the following services:

· An increase of 50% in frequency of both X27 & X28 service

· A full restoration of the X28 Weekend Service

· A reduced fare for Express Bus Service for the X27 and X28 throughout the construction.

· A full restoration of the B37, the former 3rd Avenue Bus Line

· The NYC EDC and DOT reinstate ferry service at the Brooklyn Army Terminal to take residents from Brooklyn to Manhattan

· Shuttle Service in downtown Brooklyn to take riders into Manhattan.

Source: http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senator-golden-calls-expanded-transportation-service-residents-following-announcement-

I think all of this is too ambitious.... I can agree with an increase in frequency of express buses, but not by 50% - that number seems somewhat high..... restoring x28 weekend service I agree with.... Reduced fare on express buses I cannot agree with - if that's the case, the fare on the B63 should be reduced also; fare is fair.... Ferry service, I don't have an opinion on.... Shuttle service running from downtown brooklyn to manhattan is pointless when the 4/5 is there....

What would be interesting is if the MTA were to bring back the B37 & extend that to (lower) manhattan for the duration of this tunnel closure & what not.... If usage is well received, they could then use that to keep the B37 around when the tunnel re-opens - with the exception of running it to manhattan....

So this is what BreedDekalb was referencing in another thread.....

The northern terminal was not the problem... Usage on the B37 north of bay ridge was lacking.... That includes Sunset Park.

The Bay ridge folks were the ones mainly utilizing the B37 within bay ridge, and to downtown.....

As far as this:

I think all of this is too ambitious.... I can agree with an increase in frequency of express buses, but not by 50% - that number seems somewhat high..... restoring x28 weekend service I agree with.... Reduced fare on express buses I cannot agree with - if that's the case, the fare on the B63 should be reduced also; fare is fair.... Ferry service, I don't have an opinion on.... Shuttle service running from downtown brooklyn to manhattan is pointless when the 4/5 is there....

What would be interesting is if the MTA were to bring back the B37 & extend that to (lower) manhattan for the duration of this tunnel closure & what not.... If usage is well received, they could then use that to keep the B37 around when the tunnel re-opens - with the exception of running it to manhattan....

That's what I meant by "Northern" or whatever you want to call it, but the "Southern" terminus (Bay Ridge) was fine. P.S. My use of terminus is just fine.... I speak Italian and understand some Latin so I know what I'm saying... 

1) It is special treatment.

2) If it were a poorer neighborhood, they would be more deserving of special treatment. 

3) What pseudo-classism are you trying to make up here? Nobody in Bay Ridge is suffering...

Of course they aren't suffering because they have money so if their commute is f*cked up they can just drive in or take a cab right?  Therefore they don't need their transportation.  This is the same attitude that the (MTA) takes with other communities that aren't poor.  They can afford to lose their service.  What a load of BS. The only subway line in Bay Ridge is the slow and unreliable (R) and if they work Downtown, trying to get on to crushloaded trains will be a huge nuisance.  

Of course they aren't suffering because they have money so if their commute is f*cked up they can just drive in or take a cab right?  Therefore they don't need their transportation.  This is the same attitude that the (MTA) takes with other communities that aren't poor.  They can afford to lose their service.  What a load of BS. The only subway line in Bay Ridge is the slow and unreliable (R) and if they work Downtown, trying to get on to crushloaded trains will be a huge nuisance.  

I'll pose you a different question. Are they not suffering less than a low-income community like say, Mott Haven would if services were similarly cut? You tell me that much...

That's what I meant by "Northern" or whatever you want to call it, but the "Southern" terminus (Bay Ridge) was fine. P.S. My use of terminus is just fine....

I speak Italian and understand some Latin so I know what I'm saying... 

I don't care about your use of the word terminus.... I wasn't making an issue of that shit, my god....

I'm saying the ACTUAL terminal, terminus, whatever was not the problem on the B37.....

I don't care about your use of the word terminus.... I wasn't making an issue of that shit, my god....

I'm saying the ACTUAL terminal, terminus, whatever was not the problem on the B37.....

Well what did you expect me to think? I'm thinking WTH... Not only did he italicize it but he underlined to boot... lol

I'll pose you a different question. Are they not suffering less than a low-income community like say, Mott Haven would if services were similarly cut? You tell me that much...

Residents in Bay Ridge don't just include the able bodied folks.  There are plenty of disabled people who cannot use the (R) because the stations are not ADA accessible.  Bay Ridge residents have suffered for YEARS because of that horrendous subway line which is unreliable, slow and downright awful and the (MTA) has done NOTHING to address that issue.  In fact I'd argue if it was a poor community with that set up they wouldn't be allowed to get away with what they've done in Bay Ridge.  Rehab a station and it STILL isn't ADA accessible.  

Everyone that keeps saying oh they have options will not admit how DISORGANIZED the (MTA) is and I've been a victim of their empty promises.  If they actually completed things on time and held to their promises, then I could see folks saying they were spoiled but that's just not true.  

Well what did you expect me to think? I'm thinking WTH... Not only did he italicize it but he underlined to boot... lol

Why does emphasizing a word in any fashion have to do with its usage or spelling?

Why was it imperative for you to make an issue out of something that was a non-issue.....

I had already elaborated in the very next statement that it wasn't an issue with the B37 terminal (or terminus, since you want to use that word) of the route..... That was the point.

Reading that statement of yours, you made it sound like the B37 norther terminal/terminus specifically was the problem.... Now you're saying the portion of the old route north of Bay Ridge was what you meant.... Your original comment was misleading, if you were originally referring to the route north of bay ridge, instead of the terminal/terminus in-particular.... That's why I linked BreedDekalb's post, like what the hell was wrong with where the B37 terminated......

That's what I was getting at & nothing more.... No spelling, no word usage, none of that garbage....

Why does emphasizing a word in any fashion have to do with its usage or spelling?

Why was it imperative for you to make an issue out of something that was a non-issue.....

I had already elaborated in the very next statement that it wasn't an issue with the terminal (or terminus, since you want to use that word) of the route..... That was the point.

Reading that statement of yours, you made it sound like the B37 norther terminal/terminus specifically was the problem.... Now you're saying the portion of the old route north of Bay Ridge was what you meant.... Your original comment was misleading, if you were originally referring to the route north of bay ridge, instead of the terminal/terminus in-particular.....

That's what I was getting at & nothing more.... No spelling, no word usage, none of that garbage....

Yeah well it isn't the first time we've had this discussion, so I didn't think it was necessary to be that specific... I mean we've talked about the B37 numerous times now and restructuring the route and where the usage was and all of that.  If people don't know by now they'll never know, but yes I could've written that better.

(5) service runs to Flatbush or nearest possible terminal in Brooklyn weekends, no (5) shutdowns every weekend and the B51's comeback.

The B51 wouldn't do anything for those residents. Their problem is the fact they have to transfer to reach Lower Manhattan (or Manhattan period). 

The same thing with the B37 for that matter. Not that I necessarily disagree with restoring it, but it doesn't do anything as far as eliminating a transfer. Now if it were extended to Manhattan (as B35 mentioned), then yeah, I could that being a reason why it's related to this project. (And they might be able to use that as a compromise. Instead of giving them ferry service and lowering the express bus fare to $2.50, they could say "here's your bus to Downtown Manhattan": The B37).

The MTA's definitely going to add service to the express buses anyway. (How much, I don't know) There's definitely going to be people who want to avoid the extra transferring/crowding on the subway.

Of course, the problem (for lack of a better term) with restoring the B37 & X28 is that it's going to be hard to get rid of them at the end of the project (considering they've already been cut once before, and now they claim they've come into all this extra money). 

Now how are they going to add more rush hour 4&5 trains to an already overused, over-capacity line? Have you ever taken the Lex in Lower Manhattan during both rush hours?

This.

EVERY neighborhood needs their transportation and Bay Ridge is no different, so I applaud them for standing up and fighting for what is theirs because poorer areas like Co-Op City certainly scream and shout even louder and no one says a peep.

Poverty rate in Bay Ridge: 16.1% http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Bayridge-Brooklyn-NY.html

Poverty rate in Co-Op City: 8.8% http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Coop-City-Bronx-NY.html

Co-Op City has a lower poverty rate, but it's a poorer neighborhood?

I live in the borough bordering Bay Ridge which would be Bensonhurst and I know people on the other side and believe me they are just fine. Most of them transfer to the (D) and the (N) anyway at 36th Street.

I didn't realize Bensonhurst & Bay Ridge were boroughs now.  :P

This should be very interesting.  Senator Golden was on Fox 5 this morning meeting with his constituents at the 77th street station to get their takes on the strain that the (R) service disruptions would have on their commutes and they were not thrilled to say the least.  Knowing how vocal these communities are (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights) I don't see how the (MTA) can avoid restoring some of these services, in particular weekend X28 service and the B37.  

The X28 primarily serves areas along the D train. The D is running normally. There's no reason to run extra service on an alternative to the D train.

The B37 paralleled the R train in Brooklyn. The R will be running in Brooklyn. It won't be running from Brooklyn to Manhattan, but the B37 never ran from Brooklyn to Manhattan either.

Golden is pandering.

You may say that but this isn't the first time that Bay Ridge has had their subway service affected.  Years ago there was work done and the (MTA) provided X27 an X28 service during the time that the work was done.  This would be no different and I think it's a very fair request.  Before this situation occurred, constituents had been pushing for better (R) train service.  Service improvements should be able about improving the commutes of the commuters first and foremost. I agree with the bus restorations, but I think the express bus fare should remain at $6.00.

When the Stillwell rehab project began in 2002, the state provided funding to operate the X27 and X28 on weekends.

If the state wishes to provide full funding for any supplemental service, I'm sure the MTA won't turn it down. Until then, the MTA should schedule the weekday X27 and X28 per loading guidelines, increasing service if ridership increases.

A better idea would be...

(5) service runs to Flatbush or nearest possible terminal in Brooklyn weekends, no (5) shutdowns every weekend and the B51's comeback.

The 4 isn't overcrowded in Brooklyn on weekends. Not many people ride the R to Lower Manhattan on weekends, and those who do will have plenty of room on the 2, 3, and 4 trains. Those going to Midtown will be happy to stay on the R over the bridge. There's no need at all to extend the weekend 5.

The B51 would accomplish nothing. Between the 2, 3, 4, 5, A, and C, there's room to handle everyone who currently takes the R to Lower Manhattan.

Yeah well it isn't the first time we've had this discussion, so I didn't think it was necessary to be that specific... I mean we've talked about the B37 numerous times now and restructuring the route and where the usage was and all of that.  If people don't know by now they'll never know, but yes I could've written that better.

Lol... Be that specific? As if a route's terminal is the same as its routing towards a terminal... Come on now.

It looked as if you were intentionally trying to be misleading with your original comment.... But since you say you could've written that better, alright then (and again, it wasn't regarding anything grammar-related either)....

And Yeah, I'm well aware of prior discussions we had about the B37....

The B51 wouldn't do anything for those residents. Their problem is the fact they have to transfer to reach Lower Manhattan (or Manhattan period). 

The same thing with the B37 for that matter. Not that I necessarily disagree with restoring it, but it doesn't do anything as far as eliminating a transfer. Now if it were extended to Manhattan (as B35 mentioned), then yeah, I could that being a reason why it's related to this project.

(And they might be able to use that as a compromise. Instead of giving them ferry service and lowering the express bus fare to $2.50, they could say "here's your bus to Downtown Manhattan": The B37).

The B51 would be a "pay" version of a shuttle bus (then again, this depends on where in manhattan Sen. Golden proposes said shuttle buses be sent)..... I wouldn't propose the 51 be reverted for this particular reason (the tunnel closing)... With the B37, I would.....

As far as B37's to manhattan, that's pretty much why I brought that up... kill two birds with one stone.... The service that would be used to have shuttle buses going to/from manhattan could perhaps/instead be used on a reverted 37 to manhattan, since the R serves the same neighborhoods the 37 used to.....

The B51 would be a "pay" version of a shuttle bus (then again, this depends on where in manhattan Sen. Golden proposes said shuttle buses be sent)..... I wouldn't propose the 51 be reverted for this particular reason (the tunnel closing)... With the B37, I would.....

As far as B37's to manhattan, that's pretty much why I brought that up... kill two birds with one stone.... The service that would be used to have shuttle buses going to/from manhattan could perhaps/instead be used on a reverted 37 to manhattan, since the R serves the same neighborhoods the 37 used to.....

Shuttle buses? There aren't going to be any shuttle buses.

Shuttle buses are used when there are no alternatives (or only grossly inadequate alternatives) to the canceled service, not when there are twelve alternative subway routes.

If there were shuttle buses, they'd be virtually empty, since they'd be far slower than any of those twelve subway routes.

Shuttle buses? There aren't going to be any shuttle buses.

Shuttle buses are used when there are no alternatives (or only grossly inadequate alternatives) to the canceled service, not when there are twelve alternative subway routes.

If there were shuttle buses, they'd be virtually empty, since they'd be far slower than any of those twelve subway routes.

So you're saying this "shuttle service" in the proposal is supposed to be that of shuttle trains?

Because in the proposal, it just says shuttle service (never specified which mode)..... I took it to mean shuttle buses....

So you're saying this "shuttle service" in the proposal is supposed to be that of shuttle trains?

Because in the proposal, it just says shuttle service (never specified which mode)..... I took it to mean shuttle buses....

Andrew's saying that the senator is proposing shuttle buses to the MTA, but the MTA will never go for it because you have a ton of alternate routes between those areas.

Though I'm not sure if he thinks you're supporting the senator's proposal to run shuttle buses. (You can't run shuttle trains because the whole reason the (R) is being split is because the tunnel is closed)

Andrew's saying that the senator is proposing shuttle buses to the MTA, but the MTA will never go for it because you have a ton of alternate routes between those areas.

Though I'm not sure if he thinks you're supporting the senator's proposal to run shuttle buses.

(You can't run shuttle trains because the whole reason the (R) is being split is because the tunnel is closed)

Shuttle trains on some other line [not on the montague tubes], IDK....

His entire post read to me like Sen. Golden wasn't proposing that the MTA run shuttle buses (as if to say *where you get shuttle buses from; who said anything about shuttle buses*)

I get what you're saying, though.....

If he thinks I'm supporting that part of the proposal (running shuttle buses b/w downtown bk. & manhattan), I'm not....

I also forgot this alternative. (R) riders can get out at Court Street, walk around 5 blocks, and they would be at the East River Ferry-Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier. This is another good alternative. There are plenty of options besides the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A) and (C) If you don't like the subway or ferry idea there are buses, and if you still don't like that then you can carpool.

Now how are they going to add more rush hour 4&5 trains to an already overused, over-capacity line? Have you ever taken the Lex in Lower Manhattan during both rush hours?

You can't!  Those lines are already running at full-bore.

I live in the borough bordering Bay Ridge which would be Bensonhurst and I know people on the other side and believe me they are just fine. Most of them transfer to the (D) and the (N) anyway at 36th Street.

Yea I do that too I don't like taking the (R) past there most of the time.

I live in the borough bordering Bay Ridge which would be Bensonhurst and *THE people* I know people on the other side and believe me they are just fine. Most of them transfer to the (D) and the (N) anyway at 36th Street.

Because I don't know you and I live on the other side.  :mellow:

Other than that small part, I'd say this statement is true.  Of course minus the borough part everyone pointed out.

The X28 primarily serves areas along the D train. The D is running normally. There's no reason to run extra service on an alternative to the D train.

The B37 paralleled the R train in Brooklyn. The R will be running in Brooklyn. It won't be running from Brooklyn to Manhattan, but the B37 never ran from Brooklyn to Manhattan either.

Golden is pandering.

When the Stillwell rehab project began in 2002, the state provided funding to operate the X27 and X28 on weekends.

If the state wishes to provide full funding for any supplemental service, I'm sure the MTA won't turn it down. Until then, the MTA should schedule the weekday X27 and X28 per loading guidelines, increasing service if ridership increases.

The 4 isn't overcrowded in Brooklyn on weekends. Not many people ride the R to Lower Manhattan on weekends, and those who do will have plenty of room on the 2, 3, and 4 trains. Those going to Midtown will be happy to stay on the R over the bridge. There's no need at all to extend the weekend 5.

The B51 would accomplish nothing. Between the 2, 3, 4, 5, A, and C, there's room to handle everyone who currently takes the R to Lower Manhattan.

Yeah well the Senator argues (and I agree) that since this work is the cause of Sandy, then the monies should come for these services as a result of Sandy.  In other it should be covered under that.

Also, there are people east of 4th Avenue in Dyker Heights that use the (R) so the X28 would be for those people.

Archived