Montague St Tunnel Closure - Exp. Bus Service Restorations & Increases Requested

Poverty rate in Bay Ridge: 16.1% http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Bayridge-Brooklyn-NY.html

Poverty rate in Co-Op City: 8.8% http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Coop-City-Bronx-NY.html

Co-Op City has a lower poverty rate, but it's a poorer neighborhood?

The average salary in Bay Ridge is higher than that in Co-Op City and that I knew without even looking at the stats.  Bay Ridge has a high amount lot of seniors who obviously don't earn that much so those numbers are skewed for that reason.  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the borough bordering Bay Ridge which would be Bensonhurst and I know people on the other side and believe me they are just fine. Most of them transfer to the (D) and the (N) anyway at 36th Street.

Dyker Heights borders Bay Ridge. Not Bensonhurst.

I also forgot this alternative. (R) riders can get out at Court Street, walk around 5 blocks, and they would be at the East River Ferry-Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier. This is another good alternative. There are plenty of options besides the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A) and (C) If you don't like the subway or ferry idea there are buses, and if you still don't like that then you can carpool.

That walk is a PITA, believe me I done it before. You gotta deal with the BQE-BK Bridge traffic (S/B there's no direct connection between the two, so cars gotta use the local streets), and walking from the ferry to the (R) train, you gotta walk up a hill, which makes the walk even more unpleasant.

Now how are they going to add more rush hour 4&5 trains to an already overused, over-capacity line? Have you ever taken the Lex in Lower Manhattan during both rush hours?

Easy the same way they add extra 4 trains on yankee home games..The same way  how they send 2 trains thru the tunnel..PS i worked at grand central for 13 years..4&5's is the only way i get to work   

Made a little mistake. I thought they bordered at the Belt Parkway area, but I didn't know Dyker stretched that far. Sorry.

lol... That's like me living in Sheepshead Bay for years and not knowing where Manhattan Beach ends... You must be a recent transplant... 

It's a minor error that does not mean anything....

I live in Yorkville but I have absolutely no idea where the official boundaries are.

The only border that everyone agrees with is the east border, which is the East River.  The north border is either 92nd Street or 96th Street, depending on who you ask.  Some say the southern border is 79th, others say it's 72nd, and others say it's 57th.  Nobody can agree on the western border either, and opinions can range from 1st Avenue to 3rd Avenue.

The MTA is stupid enough to say that Madison Avenue/5th Avenue is in Yorkville.  When they revived M1 weekday service they listed Yorkville as one of the neighborhoods it helped, but it certainly does not run anywhere near Yorkville.

But for the most part, when asked, people living in Yorkville will say that they live in the Upper East Side.  First and foremost I live on the Upper East Side.  Yorkville is just a subsection that nobody ever calls it.

I live in Yorkville but I have absolutely no idea where the official boundaries are.

The only border that everyone agrees with is the east border, which is the East River.  The north border is either 92nd Street or 96th Street, depending on who you ask.  Some say the southern border is 79th, others say it's 72nd, and others say it's 57th.  Nobody can agree on the western border either, and opinions can range from 1st Avenue to 3rd Avenue.

The MTA is stupid enough to say that Madison Avenue/5th Avenue is in Yorkville.  When they revived M1 weekday service they listed Yorkville as one of the neighborhoods it helped, but it certainly does not run anywhere near Yorkville.

But for the most part, when asked, people living in Yorkville will say that they live in the Upper East Side.  First and foremost I live on the Upper East Side.  Yorkville is just a subsection that nobody ever calls it.

The official boundaries are one thing, but I'm sure you know the neighborhoods that you live next to.  That's what was crazy.  A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville near York Avenue and always refers to it as Yorkville.  My boss lives on the Upper East Side off of Madison and as far as I'm concerned the two neighborhoods are quite distinguishable in some parts, though I agree that the boundaries are a bit blurred.  However what the OP did was say that Bensonhurst is next to Bay Ridge and left out Dyker Heights completely which is a pretty damn big neighborhood and is certainly NOT a subsection of anything.

The official boundaries are one thing, but I'm sure you know the neighborhoods that you live next to.  That's what was crazy.  A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville near York Avenue and always refers to it as Yorkville.  My boss lives on the Upper East Side off of Madison and as far as I'm concerned the two neighborhoods are quite distinguishable in some parts, though I agree that the boundaries are a bit blurred.  However what the OP did was say that Bensonhurst is next to Bay Ridge and left out Dyker Heights completely which is a pretty damn big neighborhood and is certainly NOT a subsection of anything.

I thought that Dyker Heights didn't stretched all the way to the Belt Parkway. I thought that little strip of land south of Dyker Park was part of Bensonhurst, but I was wrong okay?

The average salary in Bay Ridge is higher than that in Co-Op City and that I knew without even looking at the stats.  Bay Ridge has a high amount lot of seniors who obviously don't earn that much so those numbers are skewed for that reason.  

If there's any difference in how rich or poor the two areas are, it's negligible. That's my point. If Co-Op City was a white neighborhood, you know damn well you wouldn't be complaining nearly as much as you are, talking about how there's some kind of favoritism (from forum members) towards them.

Co-Op City is a middle-class neighborhood. Point-blank, period.

Are Yorkville and Turtle Bay right next to each other?  As far as I'm concerned the answer is a no, and I'd actually say that they're over a mile apart, but those who believe that Yorkville's southern boundary is 57th and Turtle Bay's northern boundary is 57th may say otherwise. (Actually I have no idea what Turtle Bay's boundaries are.)

I don't know the neighborhoods that he was originally referring to, but what I'm trying to say is that making a small mistake about neighborhoods being next to each other or not doesn't need to be drawn out like this.

If there's any difference in how rich or poor the two areas are, it's negligible. That's my point. If Co-Op City was a white neighborhood, you know damn well you wouldn't be complaining nearly as much as you are, talking about how there's some kind of favoritism (from forum members) towards them.

Co-Op City is a middle-class neighborhood. Point-blank, period.

Actually I'm complaining because as I said to PrinceLex in the Bronx thread, I don't mind them requesting their services back, BUT what I have an issue with is that they're saying that they want the QBx1 back when they already have the Q50 AND Bx23!!  To quote one Co-Op City resident, they're "entitled" to their services, but don't hear anyone saying anything about their sense of entitlement and all PrinceLex keeps saying is that some people have a two fare zone now, but he hasn't said anything about wanting the QBx1 back when they already have the services in place that have replaced that bus, but meanwhile everyone has plenty to say about Bay Ridge asking for the B37 back and more express bus service.  Fair is fair.  

What makes Co-Op City's needs so much more valiant and "entitled" than Bay Ridge residents?  That's what I want to know. 

Actually I'm complaining because as I said to PrinceLex in the Bronx thread, I don't mind them requesting their services back, BUT what I have an issue with is that they're saying that they want the QBx1 back when they already have the Q50 AND Bx23!!  To quote one Co-Op City resident, they're "entitled" to their services, but don't hear anyone saying anything about their sense of entitlement and all PrinceLex keeps saying is that some people have a two fare zone now, but he hasn't said anything about wanting the QBx1 back when they already have the services in place that have replaced that bus, but meanwhile everyone has plenty to say about Bay Ridge asking for the B37 back and more express bus service.  Fair is fair.  

What makes Co-Op City's needs so much more valiant and "entitled" than Bay Ridge residents?  That's what I want to know. 

There's a difference between what a newspaper thinks and what the people on this forum think. The newspaper is going to take whatever stance will sell the most papers, because the average person who reads the papers isn't a transit enthusiast.

As for what the people on this forum think, the vast majority of them don't think they should have the Bx23/Q50 and QBx1. Look back at the comments, and most of them say that the Bx23/Q50 is a sufficient replacement for the QBx1, and there's no need to have all 3 routes. That particular pattern is fine as is.

Princelex himself may not have said anything about it, but that doesn't mean he necessarily wants the QBx1 back and even if he does, he's one person. He doesn't speak for all of us.

If that's your main issue (and having the other routes restored to their former state doesn't really bother you), then there's no problem. But even as far as those other routes go, it's not like the vast majority of us support them being restored exactly as they were before. Some people think it's fine as is, even if the northern sections don't have as much service as they used to. Others think that the northern sections should have more service, but not have every single bus looping around the northern section.

In any case, whichever way you slice it, money isn't a factor in whatever favoritism (if any) is shown towards Co-Op City, because both Bay Ridge and Co-Op City are middle-class neighborhoods.

As I remember it, the official boundaries northward are 77th street to the south and 96th street to the north.  This comes from the 1977 blackout, when the streets from 77th street south (known as Lenox Hill) were among the very first areas to get power back after that blackout the morning after it happened whereas Yorkville did not get their power back until nearly 15 hours later.

He made a mistake, sheesh let it go already

Though he makes mistakes on a regular basis.

I don't get it. How is it that when a thread starts off with one topic and ends up with another topic?

Welcome to the internet.

--------------------------------------

I really really don't want to not take the (R) into Lower Manhattan.  Those damn (2) / (3) Stuy kids annoy me so much.  Maybe the BM3 is becoming a reality for me now.

So you're saying this "shuttle service" in the proposal is supposed to be that of shuttle trains?

Because in the proposal, it just says shuttle service (never specified which mode)..... I took it to mean shuttle buses....

That's amusing, in the video, Golden seems to think that NYCT's plan is to bus everybody into Manhattan from Court St. He doesn't seem to have much of an understanding of how the subway system functions.

In any case, this isn't a serious proposal. It's pure pandering.

Yeah well the Senator argues (and I agree) that since this work is the cause of Sandy, then the monies should come for these services as a result of Sandy.  In other it should be covered under that.

Also, there are people east of 4th Avenue in Dyker Heights that use the (R) so the X28 would be for those people.

Then the Senator can obtain the funding and pass it on to the appropriate parties to operate the services he would like to see.

Aside from the 7th Avenue and Dahlgren Pl. stops, which are themselves very close, all X28 stops are closer to the D than to the R. The X17 on weekends covers the Dahlgren stop. The rest of the X28 serves as an alternative to the D, not the R, and the D will be running its regular route.

Archived