Montague St Tunnel Closure - Exp. Bus Service Restorations & Increases Requested

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did this go from more service on the UP express routes to the boundaries of a neighborhood?

When Roadcrusier said that Bensonhurst borders Bay Ridge, LTA corrected his statement by saying that Dyker Heights borders Bay Ridge. Then the discussion shifts to neighborhood boundaries which is off topic.

Then the Senator can obtain the funding and pass it on to the appropriate parties to operate the services he would like to see.

Aside from the 7th Avenue and Dahlgren Pl. stops, which are themselves very close, all X28 stops are closer to the D than to the R. The X17 on weekends covers the Dahlgren stop. The rest of the X28 serves as an alternative to the D, not the R, and the D will be running its regular route.

Golden's district covers Dyker Heights and there are enough people that NEED and USE the (R) to request additional X28 service, period.

Golden's district covers Dyker Heights and there are enough people that NEED and USE the (R) to request additional X28 service, period.

Considering where the (R) runs, there's a better case for more X27 service.

Clarification question: Can you use an unlimited Express Metrocard on the subway?

Yep.... The Express Bus Plus card is good for the express bus, local bus and subway, along with the things like the Hudson Rail Link Bus, but you cannot use it for say LIRR or MetroNorth.  For that you have to buy the ticket separately.

If they start giving Bay Ridge residents a break on the express fare, EVERY other express rider in the city is going to start demanding a break too.

Well the break on the express bus fare will only apply to emergency situations when the nearby subway line is messed up in this example the (R) so the nearby X27 and X28 get temporary fare rollbacks that is reasonable. Now Let's say the queens blvd line is screwed then the same will apply to the QM4 and QM6 with a special subway contingency schedule and lowered fare.

Yes, the Express Bus Plus MetroCard is accepted as fare for both local and express services.

For reference, here is MTA's Fares at a glance page.

Yep.... The Express Bus Plus card is good for the express bus, local bus and subway, along with the things like the Hudson Rail Link Bus, but you cannot use it for say LIRR or MetroNorth.  For that you have to buy the ticket separately.

Much obliged, folks.

The X28 may parallel the D in Brooklyn, but it parallels the R in Lower Manhattan, which is what's really being affected. I usually take the N and transfer to the R to get to work downtown, and have on occasion taken the X28 as an alternative.

The X28 may parallel the D in Brooklyn, but it parallels the R in Lower Manhattan, which is what's really being affected. I usually take the N and transfer to the R to get to work downtown, and have on occasion taken the X28 as an alternative.

Almost every express bus parallels the (R) in Lower Manhattan...

The western part of Dyker Heights is served on weekends by the R train (which will run to Manhattan, just not Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan) and by the X17.

The eastern part of Dyker Heights is served by the D train, which is unaffected by the Montague shutdown.

The only two X28 stops near the R train are covered by the X17.

Remember, we're talking weekends, and Lower Manhattan is a particularly weekday-centric employment area. Do you commute to Lower Manhattan on weekends or on weekdays?

No, you won't be able to transfer from the N to the R. Instead, you'll be able to transfer from the N to the 2 or 3 or 4 or A or C, and you'll end up very close to where the R takes you now. (Or if you really want the R, you can stay on the N over the bridge and transfer to the southbound R, but that would almost certainly take longer.)

On weekdays you'll also have the 5, and of course the X28 itself.

Well the break on the express bus fare will only apply to emergency situations when the nearby subway line is messed up in this example the (R) so the nearby X27 and X28 get temporary fare rollbacks that is reasonable. Now Let's say the queens blvd line is screwed then the same will apply to the QM4 and QM6 with a special subway contingency schedule and lowered fare.

Careful. If you make express buses too attractive an option, there won't be any way to provide enough of them to carry everybody who wants to ride them.

Better to let people use existing alternatives that have spare capacity, resorting to shuttle buses only to fill in holes in the remaining transit network or as "overlays" where the existing alternatives can't possibly handle the diverted load.

In the case of the R, there's no outage in Bay Ridge - the only outage is between Court and Whitehall (or between DeKalb and Canal on weekends), where there are alternatives everywhere you look. (For the upcoming G shutdowns, there will need to be a shuttle bus between Nassau and Court Sq. - the existing B62 can't possibly handle more than a small fraction of the normal G ridership in that area.)

The reason I brought up the X28 running parallel to the R in Lower Manhattan was to argue against some people's point that it's only an alternative to the D train and not the R. I agree there are alternatives to using the express bus.

The commute to Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn will be more or less what it was immediately after Hurricane Sandy. It'll probably just be more crowded since not everybody was back to work right away at that point.

on my facebook page with connection to NYCTrainsit they might put the R68 on the (R) train while the tunnel is closed. it can be rumor. 

That would make sense for the southern section. Use the R68's out of Coney Island.

I know this is an older discussion, but is there any incentive to revive the X29 at this time?

Seems like that could alleviate some crowding on the X28 and to a lesser extent the X27.

I know this is an older discussion, but is there any incentive to revive the X29 at this time?

Seems like that could alleviate some crowding on the X28 and to a lesser extent the X27.

The X29 served a completely different area and there isn't that much usage of the X28 down in Coney Island to make that much of a difference.  Most of the X28's usage comes from Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights, particularly along Cropsey which has some lovely houses, especially there in Dyker Heights.  If I ever move back to South Brooklyn and buy a house I wouldn't blink twice about buying there.  Most of the X29's usuage was along Coney Island Avenue, above Avenue Z to be exact.

The X29 served a completely different area and there isn't that much usage of the X28 down in Coney Island to make that much of a difference.  Most of the X28's usage comes from Bensonhurst and Dyker Heights, particularly along Cropsey which has some lovely houses, especially there in Dyker Heights.  If I ever move back to South Brooklyn and buy a house I wouldn't blink twice about buying there.  Most of the X29's usuage was along Coney Island Avenue, above Avenue Z to be exact.

Thanks for the info.

So in your opinion the current proposals suffice, correct?

Thanks for the info.

So in your opinion the current proposals suffice, correct?

Well the X29, it would be nice to see it back but I'm not sure there's enough political clout.  The community in Sheepshead Bay just don't speak up enough which is rather annoying.  I think part of it is the shift to more Russians moving in and not many of them speak English which doesn't help so they don't know how to speak up even if they want to.  That's how the B4 was able to get cut. Most of the folks at the Town Hall Meeting were English speaking.  One Russian lady came out and her English was good enough that she spoke about the BM3 cut backs.

Well the X29, it would be nice to see it back but I'm not sure there's enough political clout.  The community in Sheepshead Bay just don't speak up enough which is rather annoying.  I think part of it is the shift to more Russians moving in and not many of them speak English which doesn't help so they don't know how to speak up even if they want to.  That's how the B4 was able to get cut. Most of the folks at the Town Hall Meeting were English speaking.  One Russian lady came out and her English was good enough that she spoke about the BM3 cut backs.

Understandable about the lack of advocacy in Sheepshead, but, at the risk of starting another debate, is it truly a result of lack of English comprehension?

Regardless, I've noticed that across South Brooklyn as well. Even Coney Island didn't speak up much about the last cuts.

Back to Sheepshead Bay, the one benefit they have had was that BM3 restructuring, as the old routing was so damn redundant I even forgot the damn streets it traveled on.

Archived