Workers say Whole Foods banned use of Spanish...

Turbo19

... But the company denies it has any such policy.

Did Whole Foods tell two employees not to speak Spanish to each other on the job?

The employees insist it did – and they say they were suspended from their jobs at a Whole Foods Market store in Albuquerque last month because of this policy.

The company insists that it didn't – that it has no such policy, and that the employees were suspended for "rude and disrespectful behavior," according to Whole Foods spokeswoman Libba Letton.

Read More: Source

It could be possible that there may more to this story. I'm reading that in the statement Whole Foods made in the report posted that they were using profanity. But that's after the fact. *If* that's what really happened.

What this this is really, is a apparent case of mismanagement. Don't forget we have some very uneducated managers out there with substandard leadership skills. It just sounds too absurb that Whole Foods will have a policy like that, it makes no sense. So we should blame for the most part the idiot managers that disciplined these employees. they should be in the know of policies and procedures to a tee, but apparently in this case they did'nt.

All the time managers misintepret or misapply policies for terminination, when they strive to retaliate against an employee or terminate the employment of an employee for whatever retarded reason.

Well this is just yet another supermarket chain. I am not suprised upon hearing this.

It could be possible that there may more to this story. I'm reading that in the statement Whole Foods made in the report posted that they were using profanity. But that's after the fact. *If* that's what really happened.

What this this is really, is a apparent case of mismanagement. Don't forget we have some very uneducated managers out there with substandard leadership skills. It just sounds too absurb that Whole Foods will have a policy like that, it makes no sense. So we should blame for the most part the idiot managers that disciplined these employees. they should be in the know of policies and procedures to a tee, but apparently in this case they did'nt.

All the time managers misintepret or misapply policies for terminination, when they strive to retaliate against an employee or terminate the employment of an employee for whatever retarded reason.

Well this is just yet another supermarket chain. I am not suprised upon hearing this.

Exactly, the report isn't adding up. The story shifts so much, that at this point every statement from Whole Foods seems fallacious to me.

At any rate, tthis is a perfect and justified basis for a future lawsuit. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered a settlement and their old positions.

Well keep up with this story.

Exactly, the report isn't adding up. The story shifts so much, that at this point every statement from Whole Foods seems fallacious to me.

At any rate, tthis is a perfect and justified basis for a future lawsuit. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered a settlement and their old positions.

Well keep up with this story.

If it results in a settlement from a class action lawsuit or if they take this to the NYS Division of Human Rights for a settlement, Whole Foods will have to give them the old job back (if the plaintiffs chooses too) or/and reverse the involuntary termination and declare a voluntary termination.

Agreed on all points. We'll have to see how this pans out.

If it results in a settlement from a class action lawsuit or if they take this to the NYS Division of Human Rights for a settlement, Whole Foods will have to give them the old job back (if the plaintiffs chooses too) or/and reverse the involuntary termination and declare a voluntary termination.

Agreed on all points. We'll have to see how this pans out.

Reading is fundamental, allow me to correct myself..... This happened in New Mexico. So I would mean the equivilant of that agency in that state. And totally Turbo after that crap who would want that job back? They will face retaliation from management and end up fired on new trumped up accusations anyway.

At the risk of sounding insensitive: people are here in the US, they should be expected to understand and speak English if they want anything. I'm sick of this bs pandering to others because they refuse to learn the main language of this country. If I were to go to another country, I'd have to expect to know a little bit of their language or I'd be sol.

As for this story, I think there's more to it and that the workers are using it as a cover to make them look like the 'victims'. So I don't buy the race card. That said, if they were speaking to just each other, then fine.

:end of rant:

Reading is fundamental, allow me to correct myself..... This happened in New Mexico. So I would mean the equivilant of that agency in that state. And totally Turbo after that crap who would want that job back? They will face retaliation from management and end up fired on new trumped up accusations anyway.

Hey man, it's all good. I understood you clearly.

And yeah, no self respecting person would return.

I agreed with Spanish employees.

In Jericho, Manhasette and Lake Grove Whole Foods has lots of Spanish immigrants buy their food if they're near there.

It wouldn't be fair to their Spanish customers.

Well Whole Foods policy alolows workers to speak to customers in Spanish, to accommodate Spanish speaking customers.

It just happens that there was a supposed policy that other employees couldn't speak Spanish (or any other language I assume) to each other.

At the risk of sounding insensitive: people are here in the US, they should be expected to understand and speak English if they want anything. I'm sick of this bs pandering to others because they refuse to learn the main language of this country. If I were to go to another country, I'd have to expect to know a little bit of their language or I'd be sol.

As for this story, I think there's more to it and that the workers are using it as a cover to make them look like the 'victims'. So I don't buy the race card. That said, if they were speaking to just each other, then fine.

:end of rant:

While that's understood (English being the official language of our country) the United States is as unique a country as NYC is very unique as a city with people coming in out of all nations to live speaking in different languages. American society is not as conservative as it used to be anymore and well, that is not going to change. Yes of course absolutely, when it comes to the professional or retail working enviorment (which includes the service industry) people should speak in English obviously. However I would imagine it is not a crime to speak in another toungue.

Let me add the fact that in most fields, being able to speak in more than one language is a sought after skill that makes a job seeker more competitive in the job market.

As for the race card issue, well yes, of course, there are reverse racists out there. That's without saying. But then again, we are hearing only one side to the story here. Perhaps this just may be an actual case odf discrimination where these employees are indeed being discriminated against based on their ethnicity or/and nationality.

None of us were there to know what tensions was really occuring there at that Whole Foods store so who's to say who is really the instigators here --- management or the employees. We will have to stay tuned until the truth comes to light. If the employees are throwing out the race card or if this is a straight up case of racial discrimination in the workplace directed at the employees that would be the point of this discussion.

There is always more to a situation then meets the eye my friend.

I agreed with Spanish employees.

In Jericho, Manhasette and Lake Grove Whole Foods has lots of Spanish immigrants buy their food if they're near there.

It wouldn't be fair to their Spanish customers.

And this pretty much sums up my point.

Archived