B/O Medical & Classes

bfediuk1224

just got called for my bus operator medical for Tuesday June 11. Ive saw mixed answers in my search of the forums, but is there a separate day for being sworn in and given a class day to start? Ive taken my drug test already. I wasn't sure if they do it all in one day, or have me come back again. Thanks in advance.

When I was there two years ago, once all of my paperwork was finalized and drug test was done. I was in the room, and the guy said can you make this class in two weeks. I said, sure can. He advised me not to quit my current job until I passed my seven day training. I said, alright. Was sworn in the very next min. And was given a packet of books. Rules and Regulations and some other material. Good Luck and welcome to the family.

yes. if on the day your medical, everything checks out fine you'll meet the HR person which will explain the process to you and will give you a start date for training and to report at zerega. if you agree you get finger printed and picture taken for your pass/ID. you'll be instructed to wear the uniform colors when you report to zeraga.

good luck. listen and just do whatever they ask you to do. remember, there are no other ways to do it but the MTA way.

• 2 weeks later...

just got called for my bus operator medical for Tuesday June 11. Ive saw mixed answers in my search of the forums, but is there a separate day for being sworn in and given a class day to start? Ive taken my drug test already. I wasn't sure if they do it all in one day, or have me come back again. Thanks in advance.

Hey bfediuk. How did things go, did you get sworn in yet? I waited a few days to ask because I know it takes about 3 days to see if you passed or not. Keep us posted, I'm looking forward to reading some good news from you.

I was approved for the medical on Monday. I also took a second drug test that day. I am waiting on a call to finish the process. How long after the medical does one normally start the training?

I was approved for the medical on Monday. I also took a second drug test that day. I am waiting on a call to finish the process. How long after the medical does one normally start the training?

If everything Checks out tomorrow and you get sworn in as long as they have an established start date {which should be the case if they are doing final processing} you will be told your start date. If they don't they will give further instructions on if you will get the date via letter/phone call.

Hey guys, just an update. Got sworn in today and start class July 1st. Looking forward to whoever else is in class with me. Crossing my fingers with the 10 days qualifying. No longer have a job to fall back on. Just need to stay confident and keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks everyone with the positive comments. Keeps me really optimistic. I've waited a very long time for this.

But as for a time line. Took the BOSS exam in April. Had drug test May 21st. Returned for medical and drug test June 11th (2nd drug test because it's only valid for 30 days and my start day date is July 1st). Then finally came in today (June 21st) for final processing and start day of July 1st Zerega. I will keep everyone updated on training and ask for advice I'm sure. Thank you all again for your kind support

8094.conductor.pulled off that exam for the bus operator

I forgot to ask you yesterday: The B/O position they are offering instead of C/R is a FT position and it's under TA....NOT under MTA bus or OA am I correct? I know that's what my letter indicates I just wanted to confirm.

I have a question that might seem like a no brainer but I have an appointment to go down for final processing on 6/25 for MTA bus full time. I also received a letter in the mail this week informing me to go to 180 liv on 7/1 for pre-interview/drug test for TA bus full time. I am on C/R list 8094 and took the selection survey for bus operator. I know this is a great opportunity to get city job with TA. The problem is that my processing is practically complete for the MTA bus position. I had to quit my job prematurely because taking days off with short notice was a no no at my last job. I drove tractor-trailers and was expected to cover certain loads. There usually is no one to take my place if I call off and that's makes my boss furious. So I left before I got myself fired. I really need to work now and can't afford another delay. If they could switch over my application, medical, drug test etc. I could maybe wait another month or so. I called Ronald St. Jeans at 180 liv and he told me that they might switch over the medical and might not. It is up to the doctors. I was nervous about the references and background check and it went smoothly. I have a little issue with my blood pressure but I was approved on the medical. I really don't want to go through the process, emotional roller coaster, and running back and forth to the MTA again. I want to start training and get it over with. I know TA is the better job but I was thinking to study and ace the TA test coming up in August and wait it out. I will take the letter from TA with me on the day of final processing to see what can or can't be done.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening

I have a question that might seem like a no brainer but I have an appointment to go down for final processing on 6/25 for MTA bus full time. I also received a letter in the mail this week informing me to go to 180 liv on 7/1 for pre-interview/drug test for TA bus full time. I am on C/R list 8094 and took the selection survey for bus operator. I know this is a great opportunity to get city job with TA. The problem is that my processing is practically complete for the MTA bus position. I had to quit my job prematurely because taking days off with short notice was a no no at my last job. I drove tractor-trailers and was expected to cover certain loads. There usually is no one to take my place if I call off and that's makes my boss furious. So I left before I got myself fired. I really need to work now and can't afford another delay. If they could switch over my application, medical, drug test etc. I could maybe wait another month or so. I called Ronald St. Jeans at 180 liv and he told me that they might switch over the medical and might not. It is up to the doctors. I was nervous about the references and background check and it went smoothly. I have a little issue with my blood pressure but I was approved on the medical. I really don't want to go through the process, emotional roller coaster, and running back and forth to the MTA again. I want to start training and get it over with. I know TA is the better job but I was thinking to study and ace the TA test coming up in August and wait it out. I will take the letter from TA with me on the day of final processing to see what can or can't be done.

I'm up for MTA bus and TA as well. I can understand not wanting to go through the process twice but, get as much info as you can on both positions and then decide. I'm sticking with both TA may call first as my list # is much lower but, either way I simply don't want to limit my options. Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening

It you don't mind me asking what are your list #'s only asking to gauge when I may be called for medical

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening

If I was you IMO I would go for TA rather then MTA BUS.IM crossing over to TA which my list # off exam 8094 is 29xx, I got a letter to take the BOSS on 5/8 which I did not have to take because im employed with MTA BUS, I receive a letter yesterday for me to report on 7/2 at 730am for my drug test. I will be giving up 2yrs of sonority just to crossover to TA which in the long run will pay off for me. The good thing I was told I won't have to do the 7-10 day training again, and the 2yrs I did with MTA BUS will count towards my pension ill just lose all my sonority which I really don't have at MTA BUS anyways so its like im not losing anything.  

If I was you IMO I would go for TA rather then MTA BUS.IM crossing over to TA which my list # off exam 8094 is 29xx, I got a letter to take the BOSS on 5/8 which I did not have to take because im employed with MTA BUS, I receive a letter yesterday for me to report on 7/2 at 730am for my drug test. I will be giving up 2yrs of sonority just to crossover to TA which in the long run will pay off for me. The good thing I was told I won't have to do the 7-10 day training again, and the 2yrs I did with MTA BUS will count towards my pension ill just lose all my sonority which I really don't have at MTA BUS anyways so its like im not losing anything.

I agree go for it. And congrats Transit bx in your switch.

It you don't mind me asking what are your list #'s only asking to gauge when I may be called for medical

25xx

hello lawkev how high can your BP be before you fail that test and can you pass if you are taking BP pills. I dont know if that was your issue but maybe you know the answer.    THANKS

It is good to have it below 140/90. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer. As for the pills then I am on pills and working to get off of them soon. I got a little letter from my doctor stating that I am safe to operate a vehicle when taking the meds. It came in handy. I would recommend you do the same to prevent getting put on med hold. If the examiner starts to stutter give her/him the letter.

You might want to work on your diet and incorporate more physical activity into your lifestyle if it is ok with your doctor. Medicals are a regular thing for commercial drivers. You will take one at least every two years. You have to take care of yourself between medicals.

Ok thanks - i have to take one every year for my job now which it has to be under 160/90    thanks again for your help

No problem, You can check out the DOT requirements for bp online. You might be able to get away with more than 140/90 with MTA. I'm not sure. Don't forget the letter from your Dr!

Was that all done this current year? When did you take the initial test? Don't you have to receive a list number after the BOSS exam?

But as for a time line. Took the BOSS exam in April. Had drug test May 21st. Returned for medical and drug test June 11th (2nd drug test because it's only valid for 30 days and my start day date is July 1st). Then finally came in today (June 21st) for final processing and start day of July 1st Zerega. I will keep everyone updated on training and ask for advice I'm sure. Thank you all again for your kind support

Was that all done this current year? When did you take the initial test? Don't you have to receive a list number after the BOSS exam?

I took the 8094 (conductor) exam 4 years ago, and was pulled off that list to take the BOSS exam, anytime I reported back for drug and medical they always referenced me by my number off that exam, there was no BOSS list number given.

Archived