Phoenix, AZ - Phoenix Sky Train!

The new, partially-opened "Phoenix Sky Train" just opened this past April. The Sky Train connects commuters/airline passengers to/from the  Sky Harbor Aiprort-44 St/Washington Light Rail Station to 2 Terminal's within Phoenix's, Sky Harbor International Airport. After departing the 44 St/Washington Light Rail Station, it makes a stop at the "East Economy" Terminal, where Vehicle Parking & early bag check is available, then the next and last stop is Terminal 4, where several airlines can be connected too.  Now, closer to 2015 to 2017, the Sky Train will be extended another 2 Terminal's to 3 and 2. The partial part that opened is just half of what the system will be in the next few years. But hey, its better then the Shuttle Bus from the Light Rail to Terminal 4.

This is a very cool system. Enjoy the photos!

The connection from the 44 St/Washington Light Rail Station to the Sky Train

DSC_1603_A_zpsa29c70b2.jpg

DSC_1614_A_zps5e6358ae.jpg

DSC_1623_A_zpsd9364be8.jpg

DSC_1625_A_zps46900e38.jpg

DSC_1627_A_zpsbf06c5f6.jpg

DSC_1636_A_zps5113876b.jpg

DSC_1643_A_zpsfdc5bb4d.jpg

DSC_1647_A_zps2f7202eb.jpg

DSC_1654_A_zpsa567542a.jpg

DSC_1655_A_zpsb78e03cb.jpg

DSC_1685_A_zps19ede1f4.jpg

DSC_1722_A_zpsa7843479.jpg

DSC_1723_A_zpsc7095101.jpg

DSC_1748_A_zpsc1acf8cc.jpg

DSC_1751_A_zpsa8d8716c.jpg

DSC_1755_A_zpsbeadb4dd.jpg

DSC_1757_A_zps92e147b4.jpg

DSC_1765_A_zps072c5ccc.jpg

Zach

Great ones! The Sky Train looks very interesting... now I feel like riding it!

Thanks! Yeah, this system is very cool.

This is excellent Zach! When time permits I will definitely ride this!

Thanks Man! I did 2 or 3 round trips just to make sure I got to see everything that I can. Bring the camera when you ride it too!

Interesting. What a great system.

Now I'm debating traveling 150 miles east to visit.

Regardless, excellent photos.

Its an awesome new little system. Yeah, next time your in Phoenix, definitely hop a ride on it, Thanks!

Are they expecting a population boom there because it looks like there's no one to ride their system?

The system is very pre-mature right now. It opened up early April this year. In the next few years, this should be just as popular as the Airtrain.. I hope..

Yeah. I think also Harry, it only goes to Terminal 4 right now. In the future it'll go to all terminals, so I'm guessing the other passengers are still opting for the shuttle bus.

Yes sir.

In the next few years, this should be just as popular as the Airtrain.. I hope..

I would think so, Zach. It's quite a distance from the (A) JFK station to the terminals themselves, and the same can be said about the distance from Sutphin-Archer to the airport. The distance between 44/Washington and the terminals is great enough to warrant high ridership. I think we'll see the popularity increase once Terminal 3's station opens. I'm not familiar with what airlines run what terminals, but I think once we get a bit more variety, people will start favoring the AirTrain over the Shuttle Bus.

Or you know...METRO could've stuck to the plan you and I had and simply made a spur LR route to the Airport...but that would be cost-effective, easier and would actually make sense right? No wonder they didn't do it.  <_<

-A  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I would think so, Zach. It's quite a distance from the (A) JFK station to the terminals themselves, and the same can be said about the distance from Sutphin-Archer to the airport. The distance between 44/Washington and the terminals is great enough to warrant high ridership. I think we'll see the popularity increase once Terminal 3's station opens. I'm not familiar with what airlines run what terminals, but I think once we get a bit more variety, people will start favoring the AirTrain over the Shuttle Bus.

Or you know...METRO could've stuck to the plan you and I had and simply made a spur LR route to the Airport...but that would be cost-effective, easier and would actually make sense right? No wonder they didn't do it.  <_<

-A  :ph34r:

Very True. There is definitely some distance between the 44 St Station and the Airport. Metro was foolish not to build the line directly to the airport in the first place. There's  plenty of room along Washington where they could've broke off and head over to the Airport. Anyways, we have this system now, and with Phoenix being one of the top growing cities in the United States, we should definitely see this system be put to good use once Terminal's 3 and 2 are opened and the line is extended.

Archived