MTA should use its $40-million surplus to benefit Staten Island commuters

Turbo19

LOL, that way if the ferry takes only 15 minutes and 5 minutes to board, ferries can run every 20 (10 in rush)  and 40 at nite.

That great kills-manhattan ferry seemed like a great idea. It took 45 minutes to get to lower manhattan, comparable to the X1/4/5/7/8/23

But enuff about express routes. Lets focus on routes that actually have high ridership. We can help the X1 out if you want, but thats it. Maybe a:   5*  15  5* 20 60

20 15 15 20 60

30 15 15 30 60

*Take the other routes if u don't like the 1.

Lets take care of the S53, S79, S46, S48, S44, even the S78.

S78/S79 needs higher frequency. Offer Suggestions

S53 needs desperate frequency fixes. Even a new local route, maybe running to St. George since they have no direct link to brooklyn

S46- minor frequency fixes on weekends. MAJOR fixes on weekdays. A S96 at least off-peak and peak, from 6-9am and 2-10 pm

S44-48 Some fixes in weekday service, including starting S98 at 2:30 pm

MAJOR fixes in weekend frequency, even adding S98 service to NWAirport-Jersey Gardens mall

S59 should be extended to bayyone, since the S89 probably doesnt have the riders to go on weekends.

With the S78/79 on Hylan I'd say it's the S78 that should be adjusted. Increase frequency and maybe add a local the the S79.

The S53 is fine as it is. I'd be all for a additional nearby route, but it would likely just be terminated due to low ridership.

In regard to service to Bayonne I don't believe there is a major demand for weekend service. Saturday perhaps due to retail trips, but otherwise no. In addition I wouldn't send anything else to NJ.

As for the rest I think there just needs to be more rush hour supplemental service.

Actually what Staten Island needs is MORE express bus service to and from Manhattan (particularly for the North Shore since the South Shore and parts of the Mid-Island have the X1) and BETTER local bus service WITHIN Staten Island.

Agreed on both points, but personally I'm more inclined to the latter. What good is the express service if someone can't reach the trunk lines (X1, X10, X17) from home? I'd say local service takes priority in network composition, but that's just me.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanna make it useful have it go to NJ to Cranford and Elizabeth for interstate connections or to Brooklyn over the bay ridge as triboro express and SIR converted to triboro local to queens and Bronx or one line to Jamaica.

I think there is more demand along the North Shore than in NJ. Plus it will be more expensive. Lets just open up the NS branch again, then we can always expand it later on if demand is there. Bayonne is served well by rush hour trips for now.

Wanna make it useful have it go to NJ to Cranford and Elizabeth for interstate connections or to Brooklyn over the bay ridge as triboro express and SIR converted to triboro local to queens and Bronx or one line to Jamaica.

Because the S89 has such stellar ridership, right?

The S53 is fine as it is. I'd be all for a additional nearby route, but it would likely just be terminated due to low ridership.

Agreed on both points, but personally I'm more inclined to the latter. What good is the express service if someone can't reach the trunk lines (X1, X10, X17) from home? I'd say local service takes priority in network composition, but that's just me.

Well the S53 could certainly use more buses in the mornings as they are too crowded at certain points and 10 minute frequencies simply don't cut it.  As for local bus service within Staten Island, I think they can certainly do better in some cases because service is still very much tied and geared towards the ferry.  Until that is changed or improved I don't see much changing.  I think the (MTA) still believes that for travel within Staten Island people use car service or drive and that is true to an extent, but mainly due to poor local bus service/options.

Well the S53 could certainly use more buses in the mornings as they are too crowded at certain points and 10 minute frequencies simply don't cut it.  As for local bus service within Staten Island, I think they can certainly do better in some cases because service is still very much tied and geared towards the ferry.  Until that is changed or improved I don't see much changing.  I think the (MTA) still believes that for travel within Staten Island people use car service or drive and that is true to an extent, but mainly due to poor local bus service/options.

Fair enough. I never used the S53 personally, but by the account of you and others (XcelB 4888 in particular) that route gets slammed. Though because ridership fluctuates so much on the route, it may be best just to run rush hour trippers in the AM and PM rush. Fill the runs with part timers and it's all good from an internal point.

I think there is more demand along the North Shore than in NJ. Plus it will be more expensive. Lets just open up the NS branch again, then we can always expand it later on if demand is there. Bayonne is served well by rush hour trips for now.

you do realize I didn't say to Bayonne right? Have you seen the gothels? I am suggesting to Elizabeth which is a much better generator for a line than Bayonne which has the lowest demand just look at the bridge it is the most lightly used out of the 3 NJ crossings.

Because the S89 has such stellar ridership, right?

I said extend some routes not make new ones. S89 is rush hr only and last I checked you barely see cars on the Bayonne bridge. If a route was made to link to NJT 139& Academy lines at cheesequake or Woodbridge mall it would get way more riders than the S89. To be honest an S57 extension would have been better than creating the S89. New lines to NJ I do not recommend but lines with abysmal use have nothing to lose.

you do realize I didn't say to Bayonne right? Have you seen the gothels? I am suggesting to Elizabeth which is a much better generator for a line than Bayonne which has the lowest demand just look at the bridge it is the most lightly used out of the 3 NJ crossings.

I said extend some routes not make new ones. S89 is rush hr only and last I checked you barely see cars on the Bayonne bridge. If a route was made to link to NJT 139& Academy lines at cheesequake or Woodbridge mall it would get way more riders than the S89. To be honest an S57 extension would have been better than creating the S89. New lines to NJ I do not recommend but lines with abysmal use have nothing to lose.

I again am not really sold on a bus to Elizabeth, Newark Airport - absolutely, but I cannot really envision the demand for folks in Granitville or elsewhere to get to Downtown Elizabeth. Any bus should have three stops only in NJ, one stop at 1/9 near Downtown Elizabeth (for those who choose to walk to Broad), Newark Airport (all terminals) and Newark Penn (for train and bus connections).

The expansion of x17 service to Sundays and the existing x10 bus service negates the need for the s89 on the weekends as the justification per the politicians would be for increased access to Manhattan. Any expansion from Hudson County should be one stop at Forest/Richmond from the  :njt: 10 for connections to the 44/48/59. BTW, a s57 expansion seems like a good idea for the folks living on the East Shore. Had I gotten either of the jobs in Jersey City that I applied to a few years ago, the s89 would be perfect. :)

I again am not really sold on a bus to Elizabeth, Newark Airport - absolutely, but I cannot really envision the demand for folks in Granitville or elsewhere to get to Downtown Elizabeth. Any bus should have three stops only in NJ, one stop at 1/9 near Downtown Elizabeth (for those who choose to walk to Broad), Newark Airport (all terminals) and Newark Penn (for train and bus connections).

The expansion of x17 service to Sundays and the existing x10 bus service negates the need for the s89 on the weekends as the justification per the politicians would be for increased access to Manhattan. Any expansion from Hudson County should be one stop at Forest/Richmond from the  :njt: 10 for connections to the 44/48/59. BTW, a s57 expansion seems like a good idea for the folks living on the East Shore. Had I gotten either of the jobs in Jersey City that I applied to a few years ago, the s89 would be perfect. :)

Don't take his ideas seriously.....

Don't take his ideas seriously.....

You just can't understand don't bother dude you know your opinion is worth Shit to me. I actually know more about NJ than you.

Elizabeth would be better served by an NJT extension due to the many different parts of NJ those on the SI expressway and SI are going to so I doubt the MTA can make such a line successful NJT however can add revenue to several lines with NY bound fares that would still be cheaper than the tolls. I never suggested weekend service for the S89.

You just can't understand don't bother dude you know your opinion is worth Shit to me. I actually know more about NJ than you.

Like I give a crap about what you think of my opinion...my opinions are better than your shit-for-brains ideas....

Right, this coming from the guy who wanted to irrationally send buses from STATEN ISLAND, EXPRESS AND LOCAL to NEW JERSEY......remember your goofy S55 to Elizabeth/Newark Airport idea?????

You know more about NJ than I know about italian food....

Like I give a crap about what you think of my opinion...my opinions are better than your shit-for-brains ideas....

Right, this coming from the guy who wanted to irrationally send buses from STATEN ISLAND, EXPRESS AND LOCAL to NEW JERSEY......

Nope I never suggested express buses as in MTA X to NJ due to structure only 3 lines can possibly successfully serve NJ and link to major hubs and job centers nearby via NJT connections. My brain is anything but Shit like your attitude. I actually thought about other NJT lines and the region there before coming up with those ideas again just S55/56&57 need NJ other markets better served by NJT at major hubs to link to as many MTA lines via SI mall or ending at forest ave and link to S40&46&48. In detail if I decided to actually not play info gather you would know that.

Nope I never suggested express buses as in MTA X to NJ due to structure only 3 lines can possibly successfully serve NJ and link to major hubs and job centers nearby via NJT connections. My brain is anything but Shit like your attitude.

I can easily search for each and every post you made on here, don't tempt me.

You give me a shit response like that, I'll give you a shit attitude. Works just the same way. Don't come talking to me like you're some authority figure.

I can easily search for each and every post you made on here, don't tempt me.

You give me a shit response like that, I'll give you a shit attitude. Works just the same way. Don't come talking to me like you're some authority figure.

Don't need to you already fell for it. Next moving on 161passenger what other places you go to from SI?

Right, this coming from the guy who wanted to irrationally send buses from STATEN ISLAND, EXPRESS AND LOCAL to NEW JERSEY......remember your goofy S55 to Elizabeth/Newark Airport idea?????

You know more about NJ than I know about italian food....

I never suggested the S55 to do that dude read. But NJT may be a better fit for that I don't think the S89 was needed they could have just extended the S57. Again I have yet to actually share a significant chunk of what I know based on NJ trips.

I never suggested the S55 to do that dude read. But NJT may be a better fit for that I don't think the S89 was needed they could have just extended the S57. Again I have yet to actually share a significant chunk of what I know based on NJ trips.

Again, don't tempt me to find that post....I know it was one of those s5x routes...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 4

Again, don't tempt me to find that post....I know it was one of those s5x routes... Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 4

I already stated it's the S57 you have other ways to upgrade ridership? Last I checked things change. I throw random ideas out to isolate the weak ones and then drop em or replace em to create a perfected all around plan. You haven't caught on yet haven't ya. Your boring.

Again, don't tempt me to find that post....I know it was one of those s5x routes... Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G via Tapatalk 4

I was under the impression it was the S56 to Cheesequake as well...

If it served the retail centers, I must say it might work, emphasis on might.

NOT!

I was under the impression it was the S56 to Cheesequake as well...

If it served the retail centers, I must say it might work, emphasis on might.

NOT!

Says one who hasn't been there try again. There are other lines at cheesequake you don't know. And at old bridge it links to NJT139 However if NJT 64 Had full time service then a stop in SI at bricktown would negate this and S56 would be sent to Woodbridge and metropark. With S55 combined with another SI line within SI. Via a reshaping of S89 or extension of S93 via SI mall and forest hill. Then S78 can eat other half of S55 from hylan then go to bricktown with S59 replacing S78 past luten. Or instead S93 &89 replacing S59 south of SI MALL to hylan providing local service south. With S59 to tottenville or bricktown mall via S55 routing then hylan and other half of S55 going to S78. And with NJT getting people to route 9 and GSP via 63/64 or whatever S56 won't need to bother.

So genius got any ideas to increase S56 ridership?

I already stated it's the S57 you have other ways to upgrade ridership? Last I checked things change. I throw random ideas out to isolate the weak ones and then drop em or replace em to create a perfected all around plan. You haven't caught on yet haven't ya. Your boring.

Says one who hasn't been there try again. There are other lines at cheesequake you don't know. And at old bridge it links to NJT139 However if NJT 64 Had full time service then a stop in SI at bricktown would negate this and S56 would be sent to Woodbridge and metropark. With S55 combined with another SI line within SI. Via a reshaping of S89 or extension of S93 via SI mall and forest hill. Then S78 can eat other half of S55 from hylan then go to bricktown with S59 replacing S78 past luten. Or instead S93 &89 replacing S59 south of SI MALL to hylan providing local service south. With S59 to tottenville or bricktown mall via S55 routing then hylan and other half of S55 going to S78. And with NJT getting people to route 9 and GSP via 63/64 or whatever S56 won't need to bother.

So genius got any ideas to increase S56 ridership?

And you wonder why people give you shit in the first place.

tumblr_lzyxrl1vjb1r0whnto1_500.jpg

Archived