MTA should use its $40-million surplus to benefit Staten Island commuters

Turbo19

I have no problem with trial & error to test routes BUT there has to be at least a bit demand for it and more importantly: MONEY. As long as the (MTA) has a very, very tight budget I'd vote against trial & error to test routes.

Also, QJTransitmaster, realize that any route you'll send to NJ will have a pick up and drop off policy so you will only be able to go either NJ --> SI or SI --> NJ.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I see...

So in other words, buses should serve any & everywhere where there isn't bus service, just so that cars aren't the only option....

Bus routes should be drawn up & implemented on a trial & error basis, to boot - Good job man.... And with that said, you are the absolute last person I want to hear complaining about lack of service on some other bus/subway route in this city, and any increase in fare as well.... Since you're in the gambit of suggesting that bus routes be thought up for such a silly reason......

Also, the problem with your shitting on the S89 was that there was actual demand for it (regardless if some agreed w/ the existence of the route or not - and it wasn't gauged by how many ppl. were driving b/w SI & Bayonne either)..... Where are the SI-ers clamoring for service to NJ you want to send the S57 to?

Oh, and that part about the S57 can still be multipurpose w/o running to NJ... Sure it can.

That statement by itself means nothing without an explanation..... Tell us how oh so multipurpose the S57 can be, while still remaining on the island, while still being something called....

....Useful.

on the contrary only if volume is heavy and an obvious issue can be seen. I have been to serveral areas that don't need local bus service or any at all. Or places where only multipurpose intercity open door lines would work a.k.a Shortline is such a service that fits that category. SI is nowhere near as empty as some parts of NJ or LI or. Other areas I visited. S57 to Mariner's harbor where an NJT line from jersey gardens can and at to link with S57,40&46&48. Or have it follow that routing in checkmate's S67 idea.

I have no problem with trial & error to test routes BUT there has to be at least a bit demand for it and more importantly: MONEY. As long as the (MTA) has a very, very tight budget I'd vote against trial & error to test routes.

To be honest I now think S55 can get merged with other lines and only S56 can extend to NJ. With other parts of NJ like old bridge and say Elizabeth and the airport linked to SI via NJT route extensions only stopping at major hubs.

I have no problem with trial & error to test routes BUT there has to be at least a bit demand for it and more importantly: MONEY.

As long as the (MTA) has a very, very tight budget I'd vote against trial & error to test routes.

Demand is the operative word there....

As it seems, this guy wants to resort to trial & error, in part, so that cars won't be the only option to get b/w two points - Which I find to be nothing short of stupid..... He likes to assume latent ridership (i.e. demand) of bus routes by how many people are driving between two points......

on the contrary only if volume is heavy and an obvious issue can be seen. I have been to serveral areas that don't need local bus service or any at all. Or places where only multipurpose intercity open door lines would work a.k.a Shortline is such a service that fits that category. SI is nowhere near as empty as some parts of NJ or LI or. Other areas I visited.

To be honest I now think S55 can get merged with other lines and only S56 can extend to NJ. With other parts of NJ like old bridge and say Elizabeth and the airport linked to SI via NJT route extensions only stopping at major hubs.

I'm not interested in your notorious irrelevant rhetoric whenever someone presents a specific argument that goes against your commentary....

I'm still waiting on this multi-purposefulness of the S57 (a routing of sorts) within Staten Island you presume would garner a formidable amount of usage....

Or are you abandoning the S57 part of the discussion altogether & are now shifting your marring of service onto the S55 & S56 ?

Just curious here but would it be an idea to create a route via NJ to SI? I mean following the road the cars do to avoid Manhattan. Because if there's quite some cars doing that they may be interested in taking the bus as long as it follows the same route the cars do to reach SI via NJ. Again: just curious here, not trying to force anything like qjtransitmaster.

Just curious here but would it be an idea to create a route via NJ to SI? I mean following the road the cars do to avoid Manhattan. Because if there's quite some cars doing that they may be interested in taking the bus as long as it follows the same route the cars do to reach SI via NJ. Again: just curious here, not trying to force anything like qjtransitmaster.

Not sure if this answers your question, but the only other actual demand I know of that exists b/w NJ & SI is that of getting from Pt. Richmond to Perth Amboy, and for access to Woodbridge mall (with Bricktown mall propped up now, I don't know if the demand is still there for this one though)..... The question(s) are, how would such routes be routed so that they'd be worth it to actually create.....

A route via NJ from Manhattan or something to SI? Because those exist already. If you mean from Brooklyn to NJ via SI, most of the people doing that are either driving to Southern New Jersey (Six Flags) or even farther out.

A route via NJ from Manhattan or something to SI? Because those exist already. If you mean from Brooklyn to NJ via SI, most of the people doing that are either driving to Southern New Jersey (Six Flags) or even farther out.

I took his post to mean, somewhere within NJ, to SI.... Because he mentioned avoiding manhattan.

This thread WAS supposed to see where we can add more service with our 40,000 thousand dollarz.

Now lets add service to the S53, S79, S44, S48 every day and S46 weekdays. We need to talk about this, not argue about the NJ extensions. 

It's 40 million, not 40 thousand.  A big difference.

It's 40 million, not 40 thousand.  A big difference.

LOL. :lol:

This thread WAS supposed to see where we can add more service with our 40,000 thousand dollarz.

Now lets add service to the S53, S79, S44, S48 every day and S46 weekdays. We need to talk about this, not argue about the NJ extensions. 

If it were in fact $40000.00 all I'd say is enjoy the one week of extra service.

Exactly.  $40k would be a drop in the bucket.

Correct. That's only roughly 100 revenue runs on any given route(s).

Also, no support in the restorations? I think they'd be much more beneficial in reducing the crowds on some current routes, and they'd provide a greater amount of network coverage.

I'm still 100% in for reactivating the North Shore Branch with this money and if they still have money left after spending it on the restoration contract then they should enhance the service where needed and make the buses on the North Shore connect to the restorated branch for easy tranfers.

Not sure if this answers your question, but the only other actual demand I know of that exists b/w NJ & SI is that of getting from Pt. Richmond to Perth Amboy, and for access to Woodbridge mall (with Bricktown mall propped up now, I don't know if the demand is still there for this one though)..... The question(s) are, how would such routes be routed so that they'd be worth it to actually create.....

To Perth Amboy from all the way to port Richmond as it that deep in SI? From Perth Amboy? You sure? Yes S55 or 56 would extend to Woodbridge mall via metropark NEC station via the link plan.

Also, QJTransitmaster, realize that any route you'll send to NJ will have a pick up and drop off policy so you will only be able to go either NJ --> SI or SI --> NJ.

I Know that is why the extensions are to transfer points metropark station and woodbridge for S55 or 56. Should S55 be kept alone then to Woodbridge while S56 to old bridge both lines with just 2 NJ stops. S57 if enough work at the airport that live in SI it can work with 2 stops. Otherwise NJT would be a better fit as they can make 2 SI stops then go back to NJ central from Hudson county. And gain more revenue than the MTA via zone structure.

Exactly.  $40k would be a drop in the bucket.

In his defense, he said 40 thousand thousand, which can be interpreted as 40 million :P

I'm still 100% in for reactivating the North Shore Branch with this money and if they still have money left after spending it on the restoration contract then they should enhance the service where needed and make the buses on the North Shore connect to the restorated branch for easy tranfers.

Okay, North Shore reactivation is cheap, but it's probably not that cheap, especially when MTA can't build an elevator for less than $10M.

If I was unsure, I would have said I was unsure.....

So to answer all three of those questions in one shot... Yes.

How would such a service run NJT route via WSE? Or new MTA or restructuring of a line from either agency. You mean Perth Amboy to port Richmond skipping other parts of SI other than say bricktown or a straight up express bus? Cause it can be via extending S61 to hylan Blvd and routing S59 via Richmond parkway. Or demand for non stop service like an NJT local gone interstate. Linking to MTA lines at 2 or 3 stops?

Okay, partly reactivation then? Just reactivate the North Shore Branch to whereever it's possible with 40 million dollars? The rest of the branch can reopen later when there's money to do the last part.

Politicians don't like ponying up for anything that isn't the whole hog, and MTA is not stupid enough to go out on a limb and fund capital projects on its own when it can barely handle the capital needs for today (train cars, maintenance.) Plus, MTA is just generally a very skeptical organization every single time a politician requests projects, since some of them are just ridiculous.

Politicians don't like ponying up for anything that isn't the whole hog, and MTA is not stupid enough to go out on a limb and fund capital projects on its own when it can barely handle the capital needs for today (train cars, maintenance.) Plus, MTA is just generally a very skeptical organization every single time a politician requests projects, since some of them are just ridiculous.

Then politicians should keep quiet.

Reactivating the North Shore Branch even partly is not a capital project. (MTA) owns the branch and they get to spend 40 million smackers so...

If it ain't strictly day-to-day operations, it goes in the capital budget. That's how North American agencies budget their money. One part is not eligible for a large federal pot of money. The other is.

Not to mention, if we let the (MTA) do what it wants with the North Shore Line, we get to see a busway instead.

Then politicians should keep quiet.

Politicians are the ones who secure the money for this sort of thing in the first place. Don't bite the hands that feed you.

LMAO. I highly, highly doubt the (MTA) is gonna invest in cleaning up the North Shore Branch mess it currently is, removing everything that goes with it *and* converting it to a BRT track. If they really don't wanna reactivate the North Shore Branch, they'd probably just remove it and convert it to a road just like they did with most of the South Shore Branch.

Archived