And the winner is.... Cablevision

mfs NJT459

As a FiOS customer, I think NJT made the WRONG move here. With more and more people getting tired of Crappyvision, sorry, "Optimum" and switching to FiOS on a daily basis, restricting the wifi to Cablevision customers only is going to benefit no one. 

Even if Cablevision wasn't selected, there still doesn't necessarily have to be paid wifi. We could have something like the subway wifi where you have to watch a commercial/look at ads before logging in.

Crappyvision, Stealervision, S****vision, whatever you want to call them, they are a modern day Rockefeller's dream.

I wonder what NJT based it on, purely the offer to pay for the hardware installation?

Crappyvision, Stealervision, S****vision, whatever you want to call them, they are a modern day Rockefeller's dream.

I wonder what NJT based it on, purely the offer to pay for the hardware installation?

I would think they'd all pay for the hardware and installation. That's what the company that's installing cell service and wifi for the MTA is doing, MTA isn't paying a dime.

I was just in LA, where it was TimeWarner Cable, but since i have Xfinity, i got wifi through "Cable Wifi" which is open to any cable internet customers, INCLUDING Xfinity... all i had to was select Xfinity, and apparently... it remembered my device i was connecting with

Unfortunately Verizon isn't expanding Fios anymore and is focusing more on wireless. They aren't even rewiring/repairing alot of the coastal areas hit by Sandy (large chunk of Fire Island, Jersey Shore has no landline service), leaving them without any copper or fiber service (no internet,data) unless cable is available. It's a huge step backward. Cablevision is one of the worst cable companies out there and I was very happy when Fios came to my area and I switched right away. I can count on one hand how many times Fios has gone out, Cablevision went out on a weekly basis. Unfortunately Cablevision has the Wifi contracts for the LIRR too. Perhaps had leadership at Verizon put more money in Fios, NJT riders would have a better wifi system. But the new leadership at Verizon sees more profit in Wireless, as in cellular networks (not WiFi) since it's non-union. Darn shame that many other countries offer a larger fiber to the premises network than the U.S.

Verizon will complete it's Fios build out in areas they are working on, but for many areas, like along the shore, and the eastern half of Long Island (from Brookhaven on east) it's cable. I'm sure the Dolans are happy about keeping their monopoly. Seems they are untouchable. I dont hate the other cable companies so much, like Time Warner and Comcast, but absolutely despite Cablevision and their tactics.

i had a picture of Verizon ad on one of the coaches on the NJCL. Iy ashame they pick Cablevision not Verizon FIos. I love Fios. I heard cablevision suck real bad especially to my friend. He got a representative from Riverhead , LI the most eastern tip of Long Island calling Howell, Nj

According to an article I read, FiOs is expanding, not necessarily in areas close to us here where there is service in most places, but in areas in the United States. And when demand for it comes, Verizon's current FiOs cables can handle 1 GBps speed (both ways) and they'll offer that. Areas that FiOs doesn't cover are expected to be eventually filled by Google Fiber, another high speed internet service.

Unfortunately Verizon isn't expanding Fios anymore and is focusing more on wireless. They aren't even rewiring/repairing alot of the coastal areas hit by Sandy (large chunk of Fire Island, Jersey Shore has no landline service), leaving them without any copper or fiber service (no internet,data) unless cable is available. It's a huge step backward. Cablevision is one of the worst cable companies out there and I was very happy when Fios came to my area and I switched right away. I can count on one hand how many times Fios has gone out, Cablevision went out on a weekly basis. Unfortunately Cablevision has the Wifi contracts for the LIRR too. Perhaps had leadership at Verizon put more money in Fios, NJT riders would have a better wifi system. But the new leadership at Verizon sees more profit in Wireless, as in cellular networks (not WiFi) since it's non-union. Darn shame that many other countries offer a larger fiber to the premises network than the U.S.

Verizon will complete it's Fios build out in areas they are working on, but for many areas, like along the shore, and the eastern half of Long Island (from Brookhaven on east) it's cable. I'm sure the Dolans are happy about keeping their monopoly. Seems they are untouchable. I dont hate the other cable companies so much, like Time Warner and Comcast, but absolutely despite Cablevision and their tactics.

I was under the impression that the problem here is that as Verizon were and still are selling their technologies and infrastructure to other companies, also creating joint ventures with other cable companies to intergrate wired and wireless internet service, it is creating a legalistic scenerio that Verizon is trying to avoid.

The FCC, also the Justice Department, are concerned over the possibilities that these ongoing agreements in the making will curtail competition in both wireless and wireline industries and promote duopoloziation/momopolization of the market. Which is why Verizon is very hesitant in expanding their FiOS service to areas currently lacking the fiber technology. They certaintly do not want to end up in bitter lawsuits similar to the battles in court between Apple and Samsung over stupid patents. Too risky.

On top of that Verizon with their moves to intergrate wired and wireless technologies to save billions of dollars is further stagnating the expansion of the fiber-optic communications technology.

So basically, the FCC is concerned that Verizon’s deals may promote a scenerio where cable carriers will get uncontested control of high-speed broadband into the home where as AT&T and Verizon will get uncontested control over wireless.

I'm assuming that the resulting legalistic complications of Verizon and it's FiOS expansion must have influenced NJT's desision to drop FiOS for Cablevision as a result because the Christie Administration simply does not want to be bothered with this legalistic mess.

Anyway those are my thoughts on it as a satisfied Verizon FiOS customer. Whatever.

• 5 months later...

Update:

Expect 11 NJT stations to have Wi-Fi by the middle of January

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/can_you_hear_me_now_eleven_nj_transit_stations_to_get_wi-fi_by_end_of_this_month.html

Unfortunately, it will only be free to Cablevision customers... I'm not sure if the majority of communters are Xfinity customers, including myself

Update:

Expect 11 NJT stations to have Wi-Fi by the middle of January

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/can_you_hear_me_now_eleven_nj_transit_stations_to_get_wi-fi_by_end_of_this_month.html

Unfortunately, it will only be free to Cablevision customers... I'm not sure if the majority of communters are Xfinity customers, including myself

Comcrap and Time Warner customers can use the Cablevision, sorry, Optimum wifi. Not Fios though, and I'm not stupid enough to actually have Cablevision so looks like no wifi for me, oh wait, I got the password from someone who has Time Warner!  :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Archived