Four years ago today

LRG

Surprised no one posted this at all...the last set of R40 Slants made their run on the (A) Line on Friday, June 12th, 2009 before being taken out of service at Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue at 9:30 in the evening.

Funny, I was just thinking about this today. I wish Toronto did something like this - our H4s last ran in service January 2012 and our H5s this Friday, and they will/did only one trip in the morning. Be nice if the H5s ran all day, seeing as I can't skip school a week before exams. :rolleyes:

Man I miss riding those R40 slants. On the (B) on the West End line, the (N) on the Sea Beach. I literally grew up riding those cars.

If I'm correct the those cars were built in anticipation of proposals to open up the Second Ave line during the conception of the design. (Going from memory, I remember reading this in books in the Queens Library Central Branch in Jamaica a loooooooong time ago....) Which was an unforeseen mistake because of the danger of passengers crossing cars (dangerously wide gaps) with the slant design which resulted in radical modifications resulting in the metallic clutter of platform gates we all saw before these cars were retired, for that matter, before the rest of that original order of cars were redesigned resulting in the R40 M's

Those cars were powerful and had a mean ass kick to it with the traction motors which powered these trains.

My last ride was probably on the B in December 2008?, going over the bridge to Brooklyn. I also had a chance to ride the slant on the C, but passed since it was late and the ride home would take a while. They were unique, I give those cars that, but they were badly rusting. The R40Ms otoh looked like they were in better condition than the R42s. imo, the R40ms should've been kept.

My last ride was probably on the B in December 2011, going over the bridge to Brooklyn. I also had a chance to ride the slant on the C, but passed since it was late and the ride home would take a while. They were unique, I give those cars that, but they were badly rusting. The R40Ms otoh looked like they were in better condition than the R42s. imo, the R40ms should've been kept.

December 2011? LOL

I've voiced this before, but my regret with the older equipment is that I never took pictures or videos, nor was I interested in doing so.

Luckily, my dad, who took a lot of videos and pictures (not of trains) did take a RFW of the (N) once, so there's that.

Historically on the (F) as well when they were first built (!!!) , from old skool pics posted on nycsubway.org

Yeah they ran on the (F) when they were new along with the R38 and R40Ms during the Arnine Meltdown that took place in the mid 1960s. I remember riding the Slants on the orange  (Q) . Man that was a fast ride to Church Avenue. 

Yeah they ran on the (F) when they were new along with the R38 and R40Ms during the Arnine Meltdown that took place in the mid 1960s. I remember riding the Slants on the orange  (Q) . Man that was a fast ride to Church Avenue. 

Yep! The R40 Slant on the ( Q ) , I can remember that like it was yesterday!

This is the first New York subway I drew when I was a kid.

My parents planned to offer me a trip in New York City for my 18th birthday but they didn't (they were scared to send me alone far from home), if they did I could have used this train.

LOL I still remember that last run on June 12th.  Those R40As were falling apart but they were fast.  A lot of interesting folks on that run as well...  My only regrets are not riding them to Coney Island on the (N) and not riding them often enough back when they were still on the (L).

On a side note, what is the current status of the museum R-40s? 

Thanks for posting this I totally forgot about that! I rode the R40s many times on the (B)(N) and (W) the diamond (Q) and even the (D) on some weekend GO sometime in the past I wasn't much of a railfan then I saw an R40 slant coupled to an R40M or R42 also then or atleast I think I did on the (B) . The last I ever saw one was I think early June or late May on the (A) at Chambers st. I was going uptown on it and suprisingly so shortly after that day I had read that they were just retired and I couldn't stop getting over how I never got shots of them on the last day that year. 2009 was a really fun year to railfan not like now.

Shame I wasn't too into trains around 2008, but I'll always remember the R40s. When I was a kid, I used to love the RFWs on those cars cause the storm doors on Redbirds/R32/38/42 had windows too high for me to see. Those R40s though, those were perfect for a little kid up at the front. Feels like it's a minute since they've been gone, crazy.

Shame I wasn't too into trains around 2008, but I'll always remember the R40s. When I was a kid, I used to love the RFWs on those cars cause the storm doors on Redbirds/R32/38/42 had windows too high for me to see. Those R40s though, those were perfect for a little kid up at the front. Feels like it's a minute since they've been gone, crazy.

Yeah! The RFWs, alot of fun watching the trains proceed through it's course with the really big lead car windows, so much full of win!

And again, these trains has some mean power on the traction motors. The ( Q ) s SCREAMING down the 6th Ave express tunnels.

The West End R40 Slant (B) 's for that matter hitting 4th Ave hard on the express like the T/O's trying to break the sound barrier. I can recall all of that.

Man I miss riding those R40 slants. On the (B) on the West End line, the (N) on the Sea Beach. I literally grew up riding those cars.

If I'm correct the those cars were built in anticipation of proposals to open up the Second Ave line during the conception of the design. (Going from memory, I remember reading this in books in the Queens Library Central Branch in Jamaica a loooooooong time ago....) Which was an unforeseen mistake because of the danger of passengers crossing cars (dangerously wide gaps) with the slant design which resulted in radical modifications resulting in the metallic clutter of platform gates we all saw before these cars were retired, for that matter, before the rest of that original order of cars were redesigned resulting in the R40 M's

Those cars were powerful and had a mean ass kick to it with the traction motors which powered these trains.

So did I, growing up in Bensonhurst (where I still stay when I'm at work). The best Railfan Window of any class, and they were FAST!

I wish I was able to operate one.

Archived