NJ Transit PTBO

114hopeful

I was wondering if anyone has a typical wait period from completion of medical exam to a class start date. Does it happen quickly or is there a lengthy wait? I have an event a few weeks into future which I absolutely cannot miss. However, I do not want to jeopardize my transit employment or delay my training for a lot longer. Also, is there any preparation necessary for medical exam for PTBO? What do they check? I am in good health but would like a heads-up if possible. I must say the process so far has been smooth sailing. There have been waiting periods between steps, but nothing to complain about.

P.S. Any gouge on current garage availability or drafts to certain garages? Thank you.

It depends I was called in to take exam in feb 2010 interviewed in april 2010 just to be told they werent hiring check back never heard from them couldnt reach them so I applied again tested again in dec 2010 interviewed jan 2011 in training feb 2011.  Medical exam is the typical physical seeing as your in good health youll be fine. Ironbound(newark) seems to always be hiring since I got in theyve always been PTBO in training there, your supposed to have a choice at garages but some of didnt.  transit does make an effort to place you at a garage closest to the address you used to apply

Thank you. I am glad to hear Ironbound may be a possibility. I have a further question or two if you don't mind. First, how long does the medical take and do you know right afterwards if you pass? Second, regarding Ironbound availability, how likely is it to get the 113 or 114 and how about local vs. express on those routes? I know these answers may vary, but any additional gouge is appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you. I am glad to hear Ironbound may be a possibility. I have a further question or two if you don't mind. First, how long does the medical take and do you know right afterwards if you pass? Second, regarding Ironbound availability, how likely is it to get the 113 or 114 and how about local vs. express on those routes? I know these answers may vary, but any additional gouge is appreciated. Thank you.

Medical time can vary I cant remember how long I was there but you have to fill some more paperwork when you get there they do the drug test and medical right there and yes ull know pass or fail immediately so its jjst safe to call it an all day thing

As to routes depends in training for ironbound theyll teach you 112 and 66 and of course theyll use you on other routes as they break you in  but work given is the sole discretion of the depot master most times they are generous and give you the same rush hour tripper if you work often enough (gift or curse depending on the person)  as a PT youll work rush hour so when they give you 113 itll always be express(or at least 1 trip in it will be). local typically for high seniority FT 114 can go either way or you could end up with work that does both dunullen-ny x then mountainside-ny

Thank you. I haven't gotten any paper work to fill out before the medical. I have a 1000 exam so I have planned to need the whole day- just in case. In your opinion, do a lot of people fail the medical or do they work with you in a sense to get you passed? I do not expect problems, but not sure what they emphasize in exam. I am so looking forward to this.

Thank you. I haven't gotten any paper work to fill out before the medical. I have a 1000 exam so I have planned to need the whole day- just in case. In your opinion, do a lot of people fail the medical or do they work with you in a sense to get you passed? I do not expect problems, but not sure what they emphasize in exam. I am so looking forward to this.

im not familiar with anyone failing not the medical but dont worry its the same routine as if you went to your own doctor (bp weight etc) I forgot to mention they also will give you a vision test and hearing exam now thats the part ppl fail but the ppl in there do work with you there is a part where they show 4 rings and one of the rings have a slit in it and they ask you to tell them which it is when they get really small they are kind of hard to tell I got a few wrong cuz they were microscopic (to me at least) at that point and the tester told me to guess again so the ppl arent trying to fail you on purpose if thats what your worried about youd have to seriously bomb those tests to lose out but dont worry youll be just fine

• 5 months later...

Archived