Hazardous Conditions at Sea Beach Line stations

So I know that this has been talked about again on the forums, but I believe it deserves more attention. I was at 18av earlier to check out the R188 testing and I also noticed the situation the stations along the line are in. Apart from the dreadful appearance, I believe they also pose a danger to the riding public. I know many of you may think that this is going a sep to far, but for the love of God, you can actually see the steel that holds the concrete in place on the ceilings because the concrete has collapsed. I think this is an accident waiting to happen especially given the more often than not adverse weather conditions. Any opinions?

P.S. Mods, feel free to lock/merge if you deem appropriate.

One station: 8th Avenue.

It is falling apart, yet it's one of the busiest stations on the entire open-cut BMT line. Something must be done about it. Even the stairways are crumbling and really presents a hazard to passengers boarding or exiting the station. I just don't get it sometimes....

I have to ask - how the hell did the line end up in this disgusting shape in the first place? Is this a product of the deferred maintenance of the 80s?

Seems like it. They've replaced plenty of the road overpasses that go over the Sea Beach, but little has been done with the actual stations the past few decades. The PA system is nice, though. Yay?

A few weeks ago, I saw a large chunk of concrete (let's say the size of a basketball) sitting on the platform. It appeared to have fallen off overnight. The entire line needs station rehabilitation badly. I believe it's been in the capital budget since 2005, but it keeps getting deferred. The cost will surely be on the order of a few hundred million dollars. To do most of the work, the MTA will have to into many people's backyards, as they sit on top of the platform ceiling.

A few weeks ago, I saw a large chunk of concrete (let's say the size of a basketball) sitting on the platform. It appeared to have fallen off overnight. The entire line needs station rehabilitation badly. I believe it's been in the capital budget since 2005, but it keeps getting deferred. The cost will surely be on the order of a few hundred million dollars. To do most of the work, the MTA will have to into many people's backyards, as they sit on top of the platform ceiling.

Hence why no work. People who live there (even if they use the stations and face danger of falling concrete) won't dare allow their "peaceful area" overlooking railroad tracks be disturbed by work. They'd rather get hit in the face with concrete and then sue the (MTA) for negligence.

One station: 8th Avenue.

It is falling apart, yet it's one of the busiest stations on the entire open-cut BMT line. Something must be done about it. Even the stairways are crumbling and really presents a hazard to passengers boarding or exiting the station. I just don't get it sometimes....

They are doing something. It's just one staircase though, and on the Manhattan-bound side.

Hence why no work. People who live there (even if they use the stations and face danger of falling concrete) won't dare allow their "peaceful area" overlooking railroad tracks be disturbed by work. They'd rather get hit in the face with concrete and then sue the (MTA) for negligence.

Is that just speculation? Or is it based on something? Has the MTA even approached these property owners yet?

it amazing how these politician are not enforcing the (MTA) on the Sea Beach Line. also what amazing is how these people are not complaining enough to get heard that these station are n needed help.

When I contacted my local councilman, he said they wrote letters to the MTA. Didn't sound like much of anything. One of the state assemblyman went to the press a year or two ago and made a big stink about it and all that's happened are staircase repairs. 

Is that just speculation? Or is it based on something? Has the MTA even approached these property owners yet?

When I contacted my local councilman, he said they wrote letters to the MTA. Didn't sound like much of anything. One of the state assemblyman went to the press a year or two ago and made a big stink about it and all that's happened are staircase repairs. 

It's a guess based on well, just the last 50 years of NYC history with dumbass NIMBYs.

This has NOTHING to do with NIMBY's at all. This is simply the (MTA) neglecting the Sea Beach Line and waiting as long as they can because they get away with it, even though the communities along the Sea Beach line have spoken out against the terrible shape in which the current stations are in. Hell look how long it took them to re-do the Brighton line... Even 86th street on the (R) line was renovated mainly through monies secured by Senator Golden and former Senator Vito Fossella.

This has NOTHING to do with NIMBY's at all. This is simply the (MTA) neglecting the Sea Beach Line and waiting as long as they can because they get away with it, even though the communities along the Sea Beach line have spoken out against the terrible shape in which the current stations are in. Hell look how long it took them to re-do the Brighton line... Even 86th street on the (R) line was renovated mainly through monies secured by Senator Golden and former Senator Vito Fossella.

Right. And when the (MTA) *does* start work, the people living along the line will bitch and moan.

Right. And when the (MTA) *does* start work, the people living along the line will bitch and moan.

If the (MTA) acts recklessly and destroys people's property and backyards the way they did along the Brighton line they have every right to complain.  Time and time again they've shown that they have little oversight over the GC's and subs that they hire to do construction work.

If the (MTA) acts recklessly and destroys people's property and backyards the way they did along the Brighton line they have every right to complain.  Time and time again they've shown that they have little oversight over the GC's and subs that they hire to do construction work.

Bloody hell, man, are you new to this city/state/country? The (MTA) could provide personal transportation and renovate their homes and NIMBYs will bitch and moan. They will complain completely regardless of what the (MTA) does. And the "property" issue will be hard to solve. After years of water damage, the backyards that sit on platform roofs probably need plenty of work for the sake of the safety of the people that live there. This won't be an easy issue to resolve.

Not only that, but the (MTA) cannot satisfy everyone. As it was said people will complain regardless, but they should understand that work has to be done. They can't have it both ways where on one end, they throw fits about the Sea Beach not being in stable condition and then when construction finally begins, they moan about that too.

The (MTA) is everybody's favorite punching bag. We should all know that by now.

Although it is true that construction oversight is either lacking or incompetent (that's the only reason why MTA gets charged so much for work that isn't exactly great - See: New South Ferry). If the rest of New York paid MTA's construction prices, no one would be building new apartment towers.

Bloody hell, man, are you new to this city/state/country? The (MTA) could provide personal transportation and renovate their homes and NIMBYs will bitch and moan. They will complain completely regardless of what the (MTA) does. And the "property" issue will be hard to solve. After years of water damage, the backyards that sit on platform roofs probably need plenty of work for the sake of the safety of the people that live there. This won't be an easy issue to resolve.

Not only that, but the (MTA) cannot satisfy everyone. As it was said people will complain regardless, but they should understand that work has to be done. They can't have it both ways where on one end, they throw fits about the Sea Beach not being in stable condition and then when construction finally begins, they moan about that too.

I think when the (MTA) comes in and literally destroys people's property and claims NO responsibility for it that is a legitimate reason to b*tch about.  I don't believe either of you are property owners so it's easy to call these people "NIMBY's".

Archived