Interestingly Bizarre...The New Color For The +SBS+ Lights Will Be....

Cait Sith

Can the LED Signs host colors other than yellow? While they're at it, they might as well make it so that an SBS route has a colored background for the route number.

You have to get a whole new sign...the ones we have are all amber colored only

Authorizes any bus owned and operated by the metropolitan transportation authority or the New York city transit authority to use flashing purple lights.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S5703-2013

This is a local City issue which the City Council should be allowed to deal with. It's very frustrating that NYC is the only city in the entire state that needs state permission to govern itself.

I like that.  And while they're at it, I hope that they redo the color of the SBS buses into purple as well.  That will be a great new splash of color for an otherwise boring paint scheme the (MTA) has today.

Purple Reign, Purple Reign!

I like that.  And while they're at it, I hope that they redo the color of the SBS buses into purple as well.  That will be a great new splash of color for an otherwise boring paint scheme the (MTA) has today.

Purple Reign, Purple Reign!

Have Prince do the automated station announcements.

I doubt that it would apply to the MTA as that story was from out of NY State, so considering the MTA may have done some research I'm assuming that there is no issue with the color choice for the lights, or I would hope not.

The MTA has nothing to do with this. It's merely a State Senate bill. If the Senate passes it, and the Assembly passes it, and the Governor signs it, then the MTA is authorized to use purple lights. I haven't seen any indication that the MTA has any interest in using purple lights.

The MTA has nothing to do with this. It's merely a State Senate bill. If the Senate passes it, and the Assembly passes it, and the Governor signs it, then the MTA is authorized to use purple lights. I haven't seen any indication that the MTA has any interest in using purple lights.

If you had viewed what I was replying to you would've seen that I referring to an article XcelsiorBoii4888 posted, which was from out of state. Therefore I replied that the MTA would be affected by this, mainly because NY state has their own set of regulations.

In addition, prior to the MTA sending anything to the Senate I would have assumed the MTA researched state laws and regulations as to not be restricted from using the lights.

If you had viewed what I was replying to you would've seen that I referring to an article XcelsiorBoii4888 posted, which was from out of state. Therefore I replied that the MTA would be affected by this, mainly because NY state has their own set of regulations.

In addition, prior to the MTA sending anything to the Senate I would have assumed the MTA researched state laws and regulations as to not be restricted from using the lights.

The MTA doesn't send anything to the Senate. This bill originated with Senator Klein, not with the MTA.

If it passes, then I do think it's pretty likely that the MTA will take advantage of it and install purple lights. But this was Senator Klein's proposal, not the MTA's.

• 2 months later...

I found two interesting items:

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S5703-2013

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S5703B-2013

second thing is the most recent version.

I cannot figure out whether the bill was actually passed or not. It sounds like it has been passed since it said in both documents "to take effect immediately," but I have not yet seen any SBS buses with the lights turned on.

my guess is that MTA is now taking forever; perhaps we can expect to see them by the end of next year..

what else is new. does anybody know who exactly the ignorer(s)/procrastinator(s) is/are in this case?

There are only three people who have the effective power to do this - Governor Cuomo, and the Assembly Speaker and Senate Majority Leader. The latter two are not going to have their bodies vote on a bill if they either personally disagree with it, or if the bill will not pass.

The Staten Island delegation going "BLUISH IS EVIL" is also probably a factor.

It's also entirely possible that the bill just never made it through the agenda before they went into recess for the summer. Legislators don't just pass transit bills - the reason they take so long to pass bills is that, (theoretically) they can read through the legalese and become more educated on what the bill actually does.

Actually depends in which lights exactly were flashing..

If it was the yellow ones on either side of the destination sign, then that's the emergency lights...an easy fix

If it was the lights on the top of the bus (never could remember the name) then that's the tell-tale sign of the Regen system being off (along with the runbox flashing)

Archived