Newer street sign from New York City

SI1980

My recent acquisition is this fairly new street sign that saw service somewhere in Queens, New York. I believe it is between two to four years old. Though fairly new in appearance, the street sign has some wear and tear here and there. All in all, it is in very good shape. Even has its original bracket still attached to it.

new1_zpsa83b95db.png

new2_zps79d07a86.png

This new version of the vinyl aluminum street sign was introduced in New York City a couple of years ago, and it has since replaced the previous version, in which it used uppercase letters. The newer street sign mainly uses lowercase letters, of course; however, each name of a street begins with only one uppercase letter. The rest that follow are lowercase.

Though not a complete set of every kind of vinyl aluminum street sign that was (and is currently) in use in New York City, below, is a picture of my set of vinyl aluminum street signs from New York City, in which shows an evolution of this kind of street sign. From bottom to top, the earliest ones, introduced to the city around 1964, are "color-coded," while the universal white on green appeared in the picture in the 1980s, in which uppercase letters were still in use (see "150 RD"). And the one on the top is the most current version in use, which uses a different font, not to mention mainly lowercase letters.

new3_zps6464bfa9.png

Archived