Why Is Flushing-Main St. not elevated?

related question about the 7. Anyone here can explain why 3 tracks in the Queens section? 

For rush-hour peak direction service. 

related question about the 7. Anyone here can explain why 3 tracks in the Queens section? 

For rush-hour peak direction service. 

oh yes I forgot the  (J)  has a small portion of a 3 track.  So I assume they always had a limited rush hour express in mind?

seems like the underground tracks like  (E)  (F)  (M)  (R)  line has 4 tracks and the many other lines in the outerboroughs are the same way.

Only Queens Blvd, and that's because Queens Blvd, Fulton and the Brooklyn IRT are pretty much the only "trunk" line in the outer boroughs. Even some underground lines in the outer boroughs are three-tracked (Grand Concourse).

Only Queens Blvd, and that's because Queens Blvd, Fulton and the Brooklyn IRT are pretty much the only "trunk" line in the outer boroughs. Even some underground lines in the outer boroughs are three-tracked (Grand Concourse).

4 Av line is a trunk line too.

…and Brighton is not? I seriously think Fulton Street and Brighton are the only neutered trunk lines in Brooklyn. The lines narrow to two useable tracks towards Manhattan, with both local pairs of tracks leading to dead ends (Court Street and Franklin Avenue). They'd have more potential if their local tracks headed to Manhattan or soomewhere more helpful.

…and Brighton is not? I seriously think Fulton Street and Brighton are the only neutered trunk lines in Brooklyn. The lines narrow to two useable tracks towards Manhattan, with both local pairs of tracks leading to dead ends (Court Street and Franklin Avenue). They'd have more potential if their local tracks headed to Manhattan or soomewhere more helpful.

I was thinking about the trunk lines in underground.

Back to the original topic. There are several reasons why the (7) is underground in downtown Flushing. First: the topography was a reason, as the section over the Flushing River and meadows would have been too "soft" for an underground line (and expensive). Second (and perhaps more important), was that any proposed extension of the Flushing Line east to Bayside or Little Neck would most certainly been underground.

The marshes along the Flushing River where the IRT bridge on Roosevelt Avenue crosses under were a challenge to build, as tunneling would have been costly. Even the bascule bridge (which began construction in 1924) was delayed with foundation problems in the "wet" soil, pushing back the completion to 1928 (the lower level opened for limited vehicle and pedestrian traffic in May 1927).

For some reason, I keep thinking that 4th Av isn't underground...

In all fairness, the BMT originally planned for through service for everyone through Chambers St. The IND was actually just stupid. (All the local riders will want to get off at Court St!)

Archived