Farewell A30!

The Tram man

On June 20th an era will end in Stockholms local transit history as the last A30 trams are removed from service at Lidingöbanan. Yesterday i went out there for what may very well be the last time for me with those cars still rolling and took some shots. This is the result:

The A30 cars(the blue ones) have run on Lidingöbanan since 1944, but at that time known as the A24 before being rebuilt. Almost 70 years in near non-stop service. But that has come to an end, much to the great joy of the everyday commuters.

Some rumors say that the cars are going to Cuba when removed from service. Others that they will be scrapped. I don't know what will happen to them. But either way, i will miss them.

Farewell A30! And goodbye for now, Lidingöbanan.

On June 20th an era will end in Stockholms local transit history as the last A30 trams are removed from service at Lidingöbanan. Yesterday i went out there for what may very well be the last time for me with those cars still rolling and took some shots. This is the result:

<video>

The A30 cars(the blue ones) have run on Lidingöbanan since 1944, but at that time known as the A24 before being rebuilt. Almost 70 years in near non-stop service. But that has come to an end, much to the great joy of the everyday commuters.

Some rumors say that the cars are going to Cuba when removed from service. Others that they will be scrapped. I don't know what will happen to them. But either way, i will miss them.

Farewell A30! And goodbye for now, Lidingöbanan.

That's a tram line? :o

Does it run in mixed traffic at any point, or is it all in its own right-of-way?

Actually, it's not a tram line. The cars are trams, but the line itself is classed as a railroad. It did however, until the 1960s, if i remember correctly, run in the street a bit into the city. Now though it only runs on its own right-of-way. But after they link it with Tramway City, i think this part of the line will also be classed as a tram line.

It did however run freight traffic for a number of years.

Sad, but true. All the rolling stock i grew up with and like is being retired... Subway cars, commuter cars, trams, buses... :(

I know how you feel, happens in my country as well :( Some nice rolling stock retires for the better, some for the worse.

Borrowing a friends photo from the last train to depart with these cars, taken at 01:24 a.m. on Friday 21st of June. Really brings a tear to my eyes.

24.jpg

Imagine if the MTA put those sad eyes on the R32s...

I know how you feel, happens in my country as well :( Some nice rolling stock retires for the better, some for the worse.

It might make you happy to know then that a Swedish railroad operator has purchased some old NS passenger cars.

Imagine if the MTA put those sad eyes on the R32s...

I actually know the guy who came up with the idea, and he says he got it from Los Angeles.

DH_3002.jpg

Archived