Brooklyn Eagle: (M) train helped to gentrify Bushwick

realizm

Confirmed. There are many Japanese settling in Harlem, and even as that is happening the local NY'ers in the area who are long time harlem residents are here to stay. It's a beautiful thing.

The outer reaches of Harlem may be gentrified to an extent, but the center of Harlem will always remain the same, and I see that for the best.

FYI: This topic just went viral on all the transit sites. Including Subchat and Second Ave sagas.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/06/13/a-current-case-study-on-the-impact-of-transit/

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1229530

Well it is a good example how transit in an area can benefit it. Some interesting replies on the "other" board I must add.

Confirmed. There are many Japanese settling in Harlem, and even as that is happening the local NY'ers in the area who are long time harlem residents are here to stay. It's a beautiful thing.

You mean the Harlem residents that can afford the more expensive parts and the ones that remain in the run down parts...

You mean the Harlem residents that can afford the more expensive parts and the ones that remain in the run down parts...

Both.

Walking down 125th Street I can see people of Afro-American and Japanese-American descent mingling, going about their daily activities, the scene is changing there too. In fact I became well aquainted with a married couple who lived there until recently, husband is Afro-American, wife is Japanese with a very cute bouncing baby girl. Now they are residing in California (because they are now a family).

Japanese Americans and nationals are widening out of the UWS looking for better deals on apartments, that's what's happening.

Both.

Walking down 125th Street I can see people of Afro-American and Japanese-American descent mingling, going about their daily activities, the scene is changing there too. In fact I became well aquainted with a married couple who lived there until recently, husband is Afro-American, wife is Japanese with a very cute bouncing baby girl. Now they are residing in California (because they are now a family).

Japanese Americans and nationals are widening out of the UWS looking for better deals on apartments, that's what's happening.

Where exactly are all of these Japanese at though in Harlem? I pass through parts of Harlem daily and if I'm awake all I see are whites, blacks or Latinos for the most part in the part of Harlem I pass through.

Well yeah, but there are certain areas where most developers won't build in these areas (east of the bridge approaches).

While that is true to a certain degree, they closed down one of the biggest supermarkets in the area (Pathmark) in favor of building two luxury buildings with condos, apartments, ect. They also built a hotel in place of one of the biggest cultural supermarkets in the area. Those two areas in particular are changing in such a rapid pace that it's almost unrecognizable as to how I remembered the neighborhood when I was growing up there.

Where exactly are all of these Japanese at though in Harlem? I pass through parts of Harlem daily and if I'm awake all I see are whites, blacks or Latinos for the most part in the part of Harlem I pass through.

More on the outskirts of the neighborhood on the west side of the neighborhood as far as I know now, closer to the UWS where the rebuilt brownstones and newer apartments are. Many college students from Japan are always there hanging out in the 125th Street area by the Apollo theatre. Even if you ride the IND CPW it's become apparent that many Japanese Americans are communting into the transit system from 125th Street Station on the (A)(B)(C)(D) .

It's still a very young transistion in progress. This change in demographics started only very recently within the last five years.

More on the outskirts of the neighborhood on the west side of the neighborhood as far as I know now, closer to the UWS where the rebuilt brownstones and newer apartments are. Many college students from Japan are always there hanging out in the 125th Street area by the Apollo theatre. Even if you ride the IND CPW it's become apparent that many Japanese Americans are communting into the transit system from 125th Street Station on the (A)(B)(C)(D) .

It's still a very young transistion in progress. This change in demographics started only very recently within the last five years.

I can attest to that, I've also seen a good majority of them along the 1 line as well.

I have a bit of a different take on this....  What the M has (obviously) done was made commuting to midtown a hell of a lot more feasible.... I suppose one could say that the M helped gentrify Bushwick, but the way I see it, I don't think it has helped to the tune that the article seems to suggest.....

What I see is a slow process of the gentrification that already occurred in Williamsburg, making its way towards Bushwick & Ridgewood.

I have a bit of a different take on this....  What the M has (obviously) done was made commuting to midtown a hell of a lot more feasible.... I suppose one could say that the M helped gentrify Bushwick, but the way I see it, I don't think it has helped to the tune that the article seems to suggest.....

What I see is a slow process of the gentrification that already occurred in Williamsburg, making its way towards Bushwick & Ridgewood.

I'd agree with this.  Most people moving to Bushwick are those that were priced out of Williamsburg.  I was watching House Hunters last week and this snobby Indian couple that prided themselves in living ONLY in Manhattan actually settled and moved to a 600,000 apartment in Williamsburg right by the ferry because they were priced out of Manhattan.  Bushwick is the next neighborhood over, is close enough to Manhattan, near the subway and near all of the action that hipsters crave.

Pretty much guys, those were my thoughts on the article from the beginning when I read the article as expressed on page 1. The gentrification process is'nt progressing at the speed of light as the article suggests, it sounds a bit over-exaggerated. The ridership stats by station cited in the article itself does'nt even match up! My previous thoughts were that the jump in ridership could do with the blitz of GO's on the (G) and (L) during that period when the (M) via 6th Avenue was activated. I'm still wondering where the 18.7% count cited came from when the MTA site states 11.5 %, in terms of the numbers of annual ridership of passengers by station @ Central Ave, pages later in this thread? I'm still not clear on this.

While that is true to a certain degree, they closed down one of the biggest supermarkets in the area (Pathmark) in favor of building two luxury buildings with condos, apartments, ect. They also built a hotel in place of one of the biggest cultural supermarkets in the area. Those two areas in particular are changing in such a rapid pace that it's almost unrecognizable as to how I remembered the neighborhood when I was growing up there.

Completely tangential, but they're building on the Pathmark? That place is a PITA to get to from the subway, and the closest thing is the M15. Why anyone would want to buy a condo there is beyond me.

Completely tangential, but they're building on the Pathmark? That place is a PITA to get to from the subway, and the closest thing is the M15. Why anyone would want to buy a condo there is beyond me.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area that housed that old Pathmark, but if the (T) serves the area in the future that would be a selling point.

Face it. According to the 2010 census the white population is growing in New York City. I am certain 20 years from now New York City will be predominately white as most of the minorities in the city will move to the Sun Belt and most of the whites from the Midwest will flood into the city.

SMH.

For starters, on what planet does a change from 2.8 million to 2.7 million constitute an increase

With those numbers, whites are not going to remain a majority for very long. (Also keep in mind that the Census double counts people of mixed heritage, and for some reason counts Arabs as white, and some Hispanics, so the numbers for whites are a bit inflated.)

Whites haven't been a majority in this city since the 1980s. They've been a plurality, but not a majority.

Second of all, they don't double-count people of mixed heritage. They have separate categories for people who only check off one race vs. those who check off two races.

Hispanics are only counted as White if they don't check off "Hispanic" for ethnicity. If they check off Hispanic, they're counted as Hispanic. 

Arabs being counted as White is true, though.

When you start seeing heavy police presence and whites the way I have down there you know the area is bound to start changing sooner or later because let's face it, whites are not going to go anywhere where their safety is in danger unless they feel some sense of security with police being present.

Unless those whites were already living there back when the area was a hellhole. Coney Island never entirely lost its white population like some other neighborhoods did.

I never had any real problems with Italians as a former Boro Park/BK Chinatown resident. or the Afro-Americans in Coney Island for that matter. 

Sunset Park is Brooklyn's Chinatown, not Borough Park. Unless you lived in both Borough Park & Sunset Park. (But Borough Park is a Jewish area, not an Italian one). 

I was'nt aware of the Todt Hill projects, you caught me by suprise on that one.

Ah, Todt Hill projects. An oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Just a little tidbit of info: Todt Hill is known as the wealthiest neighborhood on Staten Island. The projects aren't in Todt Hill itself: They're in Castleton Corners, which is more middle-class. Why they actually named it the Todt Hill Houses I don't know (maybe they just thought it sounded better. Either that, or the people had no clue about Staten Island neighborhoods). 

I'm not entirely familiar with the area that housed that old Pathmark, but if the (T) serves the area in the future that would be a selling point.

In the very distant future....

Sunset Park is Brooklyn's Chinatown, not Borough Park. Unless you lived in both Borough Park & Sunset Park. (But Borough Park is a Jewish area, not an Italian one). 

It is not limited to Sunset Park. In fact the community is growing as far as Sheepheads Bay and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn even. I was myself amazed to see how rapidly the community is growing!

It is not limited to Sunset Park! In fact the community is growing as far as Sheepheads Bay and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn even. Visit one day and you will see. I lived through the transformation since the very beginning stages. Recheck your wikipedia article you got this inaccurate source from while I continue to go from the experience of being a Brooklyn resident before many members here was even in kindergarden.

"Recheck your wikipedia article". SMH.  <_<

For starters, you do realize that just because there's Chinese communities in Sunset Park and Sheepshead Bay doesn't necessarily mean that every single community in between those areas has a large Chinese community, right? 

Out here, there's a large Mexican community in West Brighton/Port Richmond/Elm Park. Then there's a large Mexican community in Tompkinsville by Victory Blvd. Does that mean that every single neighborhood between West Brighton and Tompkinsville has a large Mexican community? Hell, you want to use the Chinese community as an example? There's Chinese people moving up to East Harlem. I guess that means all of the Upper East Side, East Midtown, Gramercy Park, and the East Village are all predominantly Chinese now (since you think Borough Park is "Brooklyn's Chinatown" now). Hell, I guess that means that since Chinatown & Sunset Park (The eastern part, since the western part is mostly Hispanic. Or are you going to dispute that too?) are both Chinese neighborhoods, then every neighborhood between them is predominantly Chinese as well. 

Visit the neighborhood. Been there, done that. :rolleyes: You do realize my grandmother grew up in that neighborhood right? And periodically, she would take us with her to visit some old friends who still lived there. It's still a mostly Jewish area.

Not to mention that there are other parts of Brooklyn that have Chinese communities that aren't called "Brooklyn's Chinatown". I never heard of Sheepshead Bay (Avenue U area) or Bensonhurst being called "Brooklyn's Chinatown". Why? Because Sunset Park (east) was the original one.

It's very close to the river on Allen/Pike, so the nearest subway stop would be East Broadway (F), which is a hell of a walk already.

"Recheck your wikipedia article". SMH.  <_<

For starters, you do realize that just because there's Chinese communities in Sunset Park and Sheepshead Bay doesn't necessarily mean that every single community in between those areas has a large Chinese community, right? 

Out here, there's a large Mexican community in West Brighton/Port Richmond/Elm Park. Then there's a large Mexican community in Tompkinsville by Victory Blvd. Does that mean that every single neighborhood between West Brighton and Tompkinsville has a large Mexican community? Hell, you want to use the Chinese community as an example? There's Chinese people moving up to East Harlem. I guess that means all of the Upper East Side, East Midtown, Gramercy Park, and the East Village are all predominantly Chinese now (since you think Borough Park is "Brooklyn's Chinatown" now). Hell, I guess that means that since Chinatown & Sunset Park (The eastern part, since the western part is mostly Hispanic. Or are you going to dispute that too?) are both Chinese neighborhoods, then every neighborhood between them is predominantly Chinese as well. 

Visit the neighborhood. Been there, done that. :rolleyes: You do realize my grandmother grew up in that neighborhood right? And periodically, she would take us with her to visit some old friends who still lived there. It's still a mostly Jewish area.

Not to mention that there are other parts of Brooklyn that have Chinese communities that aren't called "Brooklyn's Chinatown". I never heard of Sheepshead Bay (Avenue U area) or Bensonhurst being called "Brooklyn's Chinatown". Why? Because Sunset Park (east) was the original one.

That's great. Yes wikipedia articles are terribly innacurate don't rely on that crap. I'm talking from the experience. I lived there! Did you?

Of course it started in Sunset Park. And then the business owners spread out to other parts of South Brooklyn. They are coming into Bay Ridge now, buying residental homes and opening up businesses.

I lived there from the beginning in the 80's, man since from when I was born! Did'nt I say that I saw the 8th Ave Area transform from a Easterm European area into one of the largest Asian communities in the nation? Next to Flushing? And of course Boro Park is mostly a Jewish Area. Had a Jewish doctor off 13th Ave, a very busy commercial area. I still have childhood memories about that. In fact used to eat sometimes at the Jewish restaurants in the area as well. And you are telling me I dont know what I'm talking about.

Ridiculous. Next thing you want to educated me on Chinese history when I am Chinese and will take you around loops until you drop if you like to argue about that too?

That's great. Yes wikipedia articles are terribly innacurate don't rely on that crap. I'm talking from the experience. I lived there! Did you?

Of course it started in Sunset Park. And then the business owners spread out to other parts of South Brooklyn. They are coming into Bay Ridge now, buying residental homes and opening up businesses.

I lived there from the beginning in the 80's, man since from when I was born! Did'nt I say that I saw the 8th Ave Area transform from a Easterm European area into one of the largest Asian communities in the nation? Next to Flushing? And of course Boro Park is mostly a Jewish Area. Had a Jewish doctor off 13th Ave, a very busy commercial area. I still have childhood memories about that. In fact used to eat sometimes at the Jewish restaurants in the area as well. And you are telling me I dont know what I'm talking about.

Ridiculous. Next thing you want to educated me on Chinese history when I am Chinese and will take you around loops until you drop if you like to argue about that too?

It doesn't matter that you're Chinese and lived there because if he thinks it's "xyz" then that makes it so, so I wouldn't even bother wasting your time.   <_<  

Archived