Official MNR/LIRR unplanned service disruption thread

Mtatransit

Since there is no place to put current disruption I will create this thread. First due to people struck there is no montauk train patchogue and speonk and also due to derailment there is no westbound train to penn while there is limited eastbound train

Funny how on the news people wait for hours in Penn. There are many alternatives to waiting in that hot hell hole, they can take the subway to Atlantic Ave or Jamaica and catch the LIRR there, or they can use NICE. It's happened to me a couple of times, the minute I hear what's going on I get on the E train and either get the LIRR at Jamaica or take the F to the bus at 179st. Better to be moving toward my destination than sitting in Penn roasting. Of course the subway can be very crowded, esp the E/F, but I'm sure with such limited LIRR service in rush hour that the trains would be even worse.

Here is some more information on Monday night's derailment: http://thelirrtoday.blogspot.com/2013/06/commuter-chaos-617-one-of-those.html

Hempstead Branch train 768 derailed while heading into Line 1 of the East River Tunnel's on Monday.  All service has since been restored with residual delays; delays and cancelations are expected for Tuesday morning's rush.

Funny how on the news people wait for hours in Penn. There are many alternatives to waiting in that hot hell hole, they can take the subway to Atlantic Ave or Jamaica and catch the LIRR there, or they can use NICE. It's happened to me a couple of times, the minute I hear what's going on I get on the E train and either get the LIRR at Jamaica or take the F to the bus at 179st. Better to be moving toward my destination than sitting in Penn roasting. Of course the subway can be very crowded, esp the E/F, but I'm sure with such limited LIRR service in rush hour that the trains would be even worse.

Indeed. Everywhere in the world you have those kind of people who just don't get that there are other transportation methods to get to your destination (subway, street car, bus, etc.). SMH.

the problem with these people they one know one way in and one way out. 

i taught my mom one time that knowing all the direction of traveling is important. one time i took her on a ferry boat to lower manhattan and one day few months later there was bad blackout in NJ and NYC. My mom knew which direction to go to try get home. She had to take ferry boat to wall Street on the west side pier and walk toward the east side and get on that ferry. she got home in another town where we picked her up. 

I seen this happen on my block. there was a fire early in the morning and the fire trucks was blocking the street. Now these idiotic neighbor drive their car toward the fire truck thinking they can get by while there are two other street in my section they can get out. It seem they cant see the fire trucks in front of them blocking the street.

Someone I knew was stuck in Penn today. They walked to the (7) train and transferred to the Q12. I gotta say, the LIRR really screwed up with this derailment. LIRR trains were packed to the bone today, and all lines were affected, which sucks!

Plus LIRR has Alternative Travel Brochure in case of service disprution, telling what buses parells certain branches.

If I was going to Alberston on Oyster Bay branch, they could take Queens-bound (F) at 34th St-Herald Sq to 169th/179th Sts and take either n22 to Roosevelt Field Mall for n23 Willis Av uptown or n27 Roslyn Rd to IU Willets Point Blvd and walk to your car.

Many people will take the subway to Jamaica or Atlantic Term for connection to the LIRR, especially if the LIRR announces it.

But there are many who will endure waiting in Penn for hours if the alternative is riding a NICE (or other non-shuttle) bus. And if they have to wait, they might as well wait in Penn vs Jamaica (with its perceived danger) or Atlantic Term (which doesn't have overnight service).

Plus LIRR has Alternative Travel Brochure in case of service disprution, telling what buses parells certain branches.

If I was going to Alberston on Oyster Bay branch, they could take Queens-bound (F) at 34th St-Herald Sq to 169th/179th Sts and take either n22 to Roosevelt Field Mall for n23 Willis Av uptown or n27 Roslyn Rd to IU Willets Point Blvd and walk to your car.

Right, because NICE is known to attract customers for their great reliability and courteous service. Everybody knows that! ;)

BULLSHIT.

Many people will take the subway to Jamaica or Atlantic Term for connection to the LIRR, especially if the LIRR announces it.

But there are many who will endure waiting in Penn for hours if the alternative is riding a NICE (or other non-shuttle) bus. And if they have to wait, they might as well wait in Penn vs Jamaica (with its perceived danger) or Atlantic Term (which doesn't have overnight service).

That's true, I think Jamaica is a hellhole too.

There's a difference between waiting on a well-lit, fairly crowded platform (where most of the riders are fellow LI-ers to boot), and walking down some dark alley in the neighborhood itself.

I don't know the neighborhood but I wouldn't ever feel frightened on Jamaica station.

I learn from today's Newsday, Amtrak should work let LIRR to work in East River.

Should Amtrak should work together with MTA LIRR and NJ Transit in tunnel work since East River Tunnel is used by 3-systems, Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR?

Amtrak is the host railroad, they can do whatever they please with the East River Tunnels.  They by no means have to let NJT or the LIRR assist with work in the tunnels if they don't want to. 

That's how the host and tennant railroad relantionship works.  Amtrak doesn't have to let the LIRR run into Penn Station, they can turn around tomorrow and say "No LIRR trains in Penn Station" and that would be perfectly allowable.  Furthermore, the LIRR doesn't have to run its trains into Penn Station.  They can go back to running everything to Long Island City on their own rails.  However, it is economically benificial to both railroads to have this relationship where the LIRR gets to bring its passengers to Midtown Manhattan and Amtrak gets to collect track usage fees of the LIRR.

Someimtes it's great to the be the host railroad, sometimes it sucks.  Likewise sometimes it's good to be the tennant, and sometimes it's not.

Furthermore, the LIRR doesn't have to run its trains into Penn Station.  They can go back to running everything to Long Island City on their own rails.

That would be possible if there was still space around the station to add additional platforms (not too mention that even the current platforms are way too short to fit most LIRR trains) and space just before Hunterspoint Avenue to add extra rails.

Nah, *if* such a situation would happen then LIRR most likely will terminate trains at LIC to maximum capacity and the rest will terminate at Jamaica (or Babylon or Hicksville with limited through trains to Jamaica).

However, it is economically benificial to both railroads to have this relationship where the LIRR gets to bring its passengers to Midtown Manhattan and Amtrak gets to collect track usage fees of the LIRR.

Someimtes it's great to the be the host railroad, sometimes it sucks.  Likewise sometimes it's good to be the tennant, and sometimes it's not.

curious, any ideas how much these usage fees are?

curious, any ideas how much these usage fees are?

Commoners like us aren't availed to that kind of information, but it's a pretty decent chunk of change. The LIRR is happy to pay it, though, because that is where their passengers want to go. And Amtrak is happy to collect it, even if it means cramped operating conditions in and around NYP.

Also, remember there's Sunnyside and LIC residents complaint about noise from East Side Access project.

I think all three systems and MNRR should work together.

It's so crazy right after M8 MNRR incident in Bridgeport, LIRR incident in East River Tunnel.

It might have also affected Amtrak and NJ Transit service as well.

Also, remember there's Sunnyside and LIC residents complaint about noise from East Side Access project.

Of course. It's a big noisy project, everywhere in the world where such a big noisy project takes place people will complain. Is not really something worth mentioning here.

Here is some more information on Monday night's derailment: http://thelirrtoday.blogspot.com/2013/06/commuter-chaos-617-one-of-those.html

Hempstead Branch train 768 derailed while heading into Line 1 of the East River Tunnel's on Monday.  All service has since been restored with residual delays; delays and cancelations are expected for Tuesday morning's rush.

I thought the LIRR only used Lines 3 and 4 because they connect easily with tracks 17-21. I don't know which track 768 used. The train would have to cross over JO and block Line 2 to get to Line 1.

I'm impressed with how quickly the railroad came up with a plan of diversions and cancellations. It's one thing to reroute and cancel trains. It's something else to get displaced crews into position. A crew might work a train to Penn and find their next scheduled train leaves from Hunterspoint instead of Penn.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the LIRR only used Lines 3 and 4 because they connect easily with tracks 17-21. I don't know which track 768 used. The train would have to cross over JO and block Line 2 to get to Line 1.

I'm impressed with how quickly the railroad came up with a plan of diversions and cancellations. It's one thing to reroute and cancel trains. It's something else to get displaced crews into position. A crew might work a train to Penn and find their next scheduled train leaves from Hunterspoint instead of Penn.

Crews don't have to work their scheduled runs, they can work on the entire system. And because Penn is all electric operations, there's no penalty payments involved besides overtime.

So thats why there were so many late trains... I missed the 1:27 Stamford train at Fordham by like 5 minutes.. yet it was already 1:45, but the next train to White Plains only came 5-10 minutes late and the 1:54 Stamford train was more or less on time at Fordham but became late because it was trailing the local White Plains train. There was a southbound train that was 30 minutes late though.

• 2 weeks later...

Broken Rail Causes Evening Rush Cancellations and Delays

From the MTA Website:

Due to a broken rail in one of Amtrak's East River tunnels, customers should expect some eastbound cancellations and delays of up to 20 minutes. Additionally, some connections may not be held at Jamaica.

There is no westbound service between Jamaica and Penn due to a track condition in one of the Amtrak East River tunnels. NYC Transit is cross-honoring LIRR westbound customers via the E train at Jamaica and the #7 train at Woodside.

Archived