Have "battery runs" decreased in the past year or two?

RtrainBlues

The (9) will not work as mentioned above. A better solution would be to increase the amount of (1) trains running, but that is limited due to the fact that (1) trains have to temporarily use the South Ferry loop due to Hurricane Sandy. Loops terminals have less capacity than other types of terminals....

You have that reversed. 

But what sense does it make to add service now, when it might have to be reduced when SF Terminal reopens?

For your first case, I can't say much since you don't know the details. But let's say that your situation stays the same except that the cause for the service change is due to mechanical problems on that 4 train, or a signal problem somewhere before Union Square and before the double crossover. Would you still find the situation to be strange then?

Your second case seems to be the common move of getting express trains to run local when there's a gap in local service.

Well I dunno if it was any issue with the train since I saw it pass by my train going to the station (we were held just outside before the switch). So maybe it was an aborted attempt to get the expresses moving up? I mean sure the local track was empty enough that we weren't slowed down as much while running express, but in the end no time savings was made as I ended up back where I started. I am still puzzled about it.

Yeah, still neat though and worked perfectly for me. Never got to rfw from the Rock park side on a regular train (did on a special TM trip, but hard to see much with so many ppl hogging up the front window).

Archived