DNA Info NY: "Build Second Avenue Subway Entrance Elsewhere!" , Yorkville Residents Tell MTA

realizm

Second-Avenue-tunnel-aligment.jpg

Proposed layout for the 86th Street Station entrances on the Second Ave Subway currently in progress of construction. (Source: MTA)

So apparently after a barrage of lawsuits started by the residents of Yorkshire Towers over a span of several years against the MTA is not enough for them in their efforts to slow down, if not stop altogether, construction plans for the soon to be open to the public, 2nd Avenue Subway?

Now apparently they are planning a sidewalk bumpout to literally hinder construction in yet another dramatic protest over the entraces @ 86th Street and 2nd Ave in a very recent report from dnainfo.com. This in response to the recent announcement by the MTA that it finalized a $208 billion dollar contract for the East 86th Street stations. (Many thanks to GojiMet86 for the hat tip on the recent MTA announcement as posted on this image board site)

Richard Bass of Herrick, Feinstein LLP, the consultant behind this proposal, said it would address so called "quality-of-life concerns" expressed by the Tower's residents. Moving the entrances they claim will prevent straphangers from walking in the face of the Yorkshire Tower's circular driveway. It would involve less excavating, too, he states:

"Why can't you do at East 86th Street what you're doing at East 69th Street?" he said. "This option just makes simpler sense."  If the MTA continues its current plan, he added, there will be stories five years from now about "accidents in that spot."

"Enough" A MTA spokesperson said in a statement, in response to the actions of the UES residents involved in the project:

“There is a reason why their first lawsuit was dismissed and why a judge threatened sanctions against their attorney for filing a similar, frivolous lawsuit. The MTA has no interest in delaying a project that will benefit hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers in order to appease the parochial self-interests of a select few.”

What do many concerned NY'ers including myself think, I'm sure? That It is just incredibly disconcerting and disturbing that a single elitist special interest group think they can actually halt and even reverse the progress of one of the biggest public works projects in the history of modern NYC! Stopping the MTA in their tracks in their efforts to better serve the transportation needs of all New Yorkers and vistors from all over the world all in all!

Source: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130614/yorkville/build-second-avenue-subway-entrance-elsewhere-yorkville-residents-tell-mta

I'm guessing by the U-shaped driveway of the building that the residents there generally take car services when they need to leave their ivory tower. They objected to the subway in the first place suggesting that it would bring in "undesirables" (read: people with a less than 7 digit net worth). 

Flash forward a decade and the people who live there have become tolerant - if not reliant on the subway - and they'll probably be the first ones to voice complaints in the event of any sort of service disruption.  :rolleyes: 

In any event, it should be noted that if they try to protest in such a way that it would literally hinder construction, their refusal to move from a given spot on the sidewalk would constitute "asserting exclusive use of city property" and they could be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Let 'em do their worst. The courts have spoken, and it's nice to see one instance where they have the well-being of the masses reflected in their decision over the well being of the elites.

The only thing the residents of Yorkshire Towers have accomplished has been the impediment of progress and nothing more. I am glad that they did not get their way and had their primary lawsuit dismissed.

No one complained when they dug Manhattan up for the IRT 100 years ago...

Though it goes against my stance, it should be mentioned that the use of eminent domain was much more common then.

No one complained when they dug Manhattan up for the IRT 100 years ago...

If this occured during the IND days way back when I'm sure Mayor John Hylan would have aquired the property by force with blinding speed then send the local demolition company to throw a wrecking ball straight through the complex.

What exactly is the solution that they want?  If there's one entrance on either side of the driveway then people going in/out of the subway won't be blocking it at all.  If there's only one entrance on one side then people would be crossing their driveway all the time.  This plan makes the most logical sense as far as I can see. 

What exactly is the solution that they want?  If there's one entrance on either side of the driveway then people going in/out of the subway won't be blocking it at all.  If there's only one entrance on one side then people would be crossing their driveway all the time.  This plan makes the most logical sense as far as I can see. 

I agree.

Unfortunately they really are going on the thinking that either the MTA do not build station entrances on their property even if it means halting construction of the 86th Street Station altogether. I'm sure many other UES residents are even appauled by this. You know? It's indeed good to see the Metropolitan Transit Authority battle with this group in advocating for the millions of NY'ers who are really looking forward to the historic opening of the SAS without any further hinderance. I mean c'mon! Many NY'ers from the baby boomer generations never lived long enough to even see the furfillment of a promise from the City Of New York delayed by almost a century.

This is a non-issue. The case has been tossed twice already. At this point the towers' legal representation is basically daring judge to not sanction them. With all due respect, this did not warrant a thread.

This is a non-issue. The case has been tossed twice already. At this point the towers' legal representation is basically daring judge to not sanction them. With all due respect, this did not warrant a thread.

Well that's your opinion, I'll take that comment with a grain of salt. Thank you for the feedback.

More selfish New Yorkers...

I'm glad you are seeing the folly of the crazy politics that comes with MTA expansion projects. Really as the spokesperson said already in behalf of the MTA, enough already! We don't need to cater to one special interest group when we are constructing an entire line on the behalf of thousands of New Yorkers.

Well that's your opinion, I'll take that comment with a grain of salt. Thank you for the feedback.

On the contrary I see a lot of discussion value here.

I'm glad you are seeing the folly of the crazy politics that comes with MTA expansion projects. Really as the spokesperson said already in behalf of the MTA, enough already! We don't need to cater to one special interest group when we are constructing an entire line on the behalf of thousands of New Yorkers.

Exactly. Something is wrong when the MTA is having to stop progress on behalf of complaints that are frivolous and fallacious at best. Even the courts think so as the first lawsuit was thrown out!

I think at this point they're bitching for the f**k of it, and nothing more.

My opinion? They've already had lawsuits thrown out. The (MTA) is proceeding with construction as planned. This latest lawsuit is a waste of everyone's time and money. Not just my opinion, the opinion of judges.

My opinion? They've already had lawsuits thrown out. The (MTA) is proceeding with construction as planned. This latest lawsuit is a waste of everyone's time and money. Not just my opinion, the opinion of judges.

Fine.

But don't scream at me over starting a thread over something that the NIMBY's are doing, sweetheart. Go click on the report thread button and contact the mods and cry on their shoulders not mine if the issue hurts you so much. I could care less.

Thank you for your time.

Fine.

But don't scream at me over starting a thread over something that the NIMBY's are doing, sweetheart. Go click on the report thread button and contact the mods and cry on their shoulders not mine if the issue hurts you so much. I could care less.

Thank you for your time.

I didn't scream. I said "with all due respect" before pointing out it didn't need its own thread. If this was a first lawsuit by the towers, worth a thread. However, they've already had two thrown out with judges telling them to GTFO. The (MTA) and judges have repeatedly said that work is progressing as planned and that's it. I wasn't yelling, just pointing out that the issue has been long resolved.

I never knew the Yorkville residents filed a complaint to the New York District Court against the DOT and the FRA as well as the MTA in one of the prior lawsuits! Claiming they had joint responsibilty for their actions along with the MTA. Dated March 15th 2012.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/133326868/Yorkshire-Towers-v-US-DOT

In order for the MTA not to place itself in direct conflict with the foregoing plainlyarticulated design policies and standards by the City of New York and NYC DOT, never previously evaluated in an EIS, the last thing that the agency should be proposing and the FTAshould have any part of in approving, is expanding the 86th Street roadway to have 12 foot lanes,and shortening the extent of the sidewalk curb extension to 6 feet instead of the full 10 feet of available parking lane. Wider sidewalks and narrower roadways are safer for pedestrians,especially the elderly and people with physical disabilities. They also support the traffic calmingeffect which discourages vehicles from speeding. Last, extending the curb to 10 instead of 6 feetoffers an important greening and planting opportunity, for the 86th Street Community, andexpanded, non-congested sidewalk space for people to enjoy.

It is no answer for the Agencies to say that NYC DOT previously approved a curbextension limited to 6 feet by letter, dated May 18, 2007, dating back to the first of what is now atotal of 10 years of construction for Phase One of the four phases of the SAS, based on the MTA’s latest projections. The DOT Letter pre-dates the new and significant change in policy and guidelines under the NYC DOT Design Guidelines of 2009 and the NYC’s Active DesignGuidelines of 2010 by more than two to three years. Further, the DOT Letter is careful to reserve
the rights of the city agency regarding “no further comments…at this time” and the “right tosubmit revised comments.”

Second, the 12-foot traffic lanes planned by the MTA between Second and FirstAvenues on 86th Street, would put this heavily-trafficked cross-town street out of alignment withthe rest of 86th Street, which otherwise has 10-foot traffic lanes spanning the entire cross-towndistance of 86th Street from East End Avenue through the Upper West Side. The plain safetyhazard this presents is the disorientation to drivers that results from rapidly going from typical 10foot traffic lanes to 20% larger ones, 12 foot lanes between Second and First Avenues and guidelines under the NYC DOT Design Guidelines of 2009 and the NYC’s Active DesignGuidelines of 2010 by more than two to three years. Further, the DOT Letter is careful to reserve the rights of the city agency regarding “no further comments…at this time” and the “right tosubmit revised comments.”

There is therefore no reasonable basis to believe that City of New York and NYCDOT would do anything other than act to approve a design, such as the 86th Street Community’s new one-entrance, northeast corner solution, that is directly in keeping with, and supportsimplementation of the design policies and guidelines explicitly set forth in New York City’sActive Design Guidelines and the NYC DOT Guidelines (collectively, the “NYC DesignGuidelines”)

70-ce3512d8fc.jpg

Bleh I meant to say that that document was dated March 15th 2013.

Lanes just got wider, I forgot how to drive.

I see. Personally I've avoided driving on 2nd Avenue past Midtown altogether, as much as possible, after construction began in 2007 anticipating the obvious.

Archived