DNA Info NY: "Build Second Avenue Subway Entrance Elsewhere!" , Yorkville Residents Tell MTA

realizm

The worst things about NIMBY is that it is almost ever a minority of the residents who complain.
I am pretty sure that the majority of the inhabitants in Yorkville are in favor of the subway entrances in the area.

The worst things about NIMBY is that it is almost ever a minority of the residents who complain.
I am pretty sure that the majority of the inhabitants in Yorkville are in favor of the subway entrances in the area.

The hilarious part is the entrances were specifically designed to make sure people don't cross their driveway. They're doing this because to them subway entrance = OMG POOR PEOPLE AND BLACK PEOPLE MIGHT WALK PAST OUR BUILDING. Also because they're miserable NIMBYs and they just hate *everything* regardless of logic or facts.

There is an easy solution. The Robert Moses solution. In the words of Robert Moses "Bulldoze them!"

Don't mention him. That bastard is the reason why the infrastructure of all thing transportation wise in the NY area are so f**ked up right now.

I'm sure it's just this particular building that's pitching a fight.

The hilarious part is the entrances were specifically designed to make sure people don't cross their driveway. They're doing this because to them subway entrance = OMG POOR PEOPLE AND BLACK PEOPLE MIGHT WALK PAST OUR BUILDING. Also because they're miserable NIMBYs and they just hate *everything* regardless of logic or facts.

Speaking of which, that concept looks very uniform, and as a benefit to them reduces pedestrians crossing in their damn driveway. In fact they could access the entrances from either side of the building if they choose to.

I prefer this proposal over the single corner entrance.

“There is a reason why their first lawsuit was dismissed and why a judge threatened sanctions against their attorney for filing a similar, frivolous lawsuit. The MTA has no interest in delaying a project that will benefit hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers in order to appease the parochial self-interests of a select few.”

THIS was my favorite part. BRAVO.

Alexander O'Neal could tell these pricks from Yorkshire Towers a thing or two about criticism....

I love that song so much, I have like 4 different versions. And to think, It was GTAIV that introduced me to it.

That's pretty much the jist of it and the motivation behind these string of lawsuits despite the excuses these residents bring. It's called racial microaggression all in all. It can blind a person's perception of a truely multicultural city. +1.

That's pretty much the jist of it and the motivation behind these string of lawsuits despite the excuses these residents bring. It's called racial microaggression all in all. It can blind a person's perception of a truely multicultural city. +1.

I don't remember what the NIMBY I'm talking about was opposing specifically (it was either the 86th St or a 68th St (6) improvement), but I remember reading a New York Times article where a woman was telling a reporter why she didn't like the position of a new subway entrance as she burned oak in her fireplace at her apartment.

Some of these people are just ridiculous.

This is turning into just hating on people because they have more money than you.  Stop.  Don't hate them because they have more money, hate them because they're being completely ridiculous, stubborn, illogical, and moronic.

This is turning into just hating on people because they have more money than you.  Stop.  Don't hate them because they have more money, hate them because they're being completely ridiculous, stubborn, illogical, and moronic.

In fairness, doesn't the former typically correlate into the latter, or am I missing the point?

This is my gripe among other things having to do with trying to halt the work of a great public works project to serve thousands of New Yorkers and others coming to NYC from all over the world. From the article in the OP:

Richard Bass of Herrick, Feinstein LLP, the consultant retained by the Towers who developed this plan, said it would address quality-of-life concerns feared by residents. Moving the entrances would prevent straphangers from walking in front of the Towers' circular driveway.

So in a non-descript way that's saying the residents do not want minorities or the poor, the tourists from Asia, Europe or other continents or whoever they consider outsiders, in general, hanging on the block. Like that was a problem to begin with.

It's clear that even the majority of UES residents, I imagine also those who are of the upper middle class, feel the exact same way many NY'ers do, are also against the lawsuits and are for the MTA because what the Yorkshire residents are doing is utterly ridiculous. We have a right to be insulted by that. The MTA is listening, resultantly taking action, standing by us NY'ers in stopping this fiasco of a legal matter reminicent of a circus act. It's not right.

It isn't because they have money; because they're scared of poor people and minorities and hate public transit. There's plenty of people in the Upper East Side who know the benefits of SAS and aren't protesting, even if their building is near an entrance. The folks in question are douchebag NIMBYs, hence the hate.

Welcome to the Upper East Side.

That is the SELFISH portion of the Upper East Side that is.  Some people, simply put only care about themselves and don't realize how needed this is.

If Bloomberg gets his way with the zoning changes to allow for new, massive high-rises in Midtown Manhattan, they may have even bigger worries that will make this seem like a bad joke (especially since if Bloomberg does get his way, they may need to rebuild the 3rd Avenue El in addition to the full SAS to accommodate all the new people, and even more so if what is already the densest populated part of any city in the country becomes even more dense in the years ahead).

That is the SELFISH portion of the Upper East Side that is.  Some people, simply put only care about themselves and don't realize how needed this is.

If Bloomberg gets his way with the zoning changes to allow for new, massive high-rises in Midtown Manhattan, they may have even bigger worries that will make this seem like a bad joke (especially since if Bloomberg does get his way, they may need to rebuild the 3rd Avenue El in addition to the full SAS to accommodate all the new people, and even more so if what is already the densest populated part of any city in the country becomes even more dense in the years ahead).

If Bloomberg gets his way the SAS won't continue downtown.  Instead the entirety of 2nd Avenue will be converted to bike only with Citi Bike racks at every block.

Can we please stop with the Third Av El nonsense? Because that is never, ever happening. You can't run it down the median because the road is one-way, and no one wants trains next to their window.

An entirely more likely scenario is the addition of express tracks on a lower level in 2207 once the original SAS is completed.

If Bloomberg gets his way the SAS won't continue downtown.  Instead the entirety of 2nd Avenue will be converted to bike only with Citi Bike racks at every block.

You're mistaken. Real estate loves SAS because it allows the zoning to be changed for denser blocks, and because it allows them to sell their properties for a couple tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, more. Therefore, Bloomberg loves SAS.

If anything I'm more concerned about the mayoral candidates, since pretty much none of them understand anything (save Albanese, who seems like a pretty sincere guy. Props for de Blasio for that transportation report, but I highly doubt that that was anything more than a pro-transportation fluff piece written by a couple of interns.)

They objected to the subway in the first place suggesting that it would bring in "undesirables" (read: people with a less than 7 digit net worth). 

I'm hoping some of these "undesirables" vandalize their property when the subway is done, but that would prove their point… :rolleyes:

Some people, simply put only care about themselves and don't realize how needed this is.

Some people only care about their fantasies.

You're mistaken. Real estate loves SAS because it allows the zoning to be changed for denser blocks, and because it allows them to sell their properties for a couple tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, more. Therefore, Bloomberg loves SAS.

If anything I'm more concerned about the mayoral candidates, since pretty much none of them understand anything (save Albanese, who seems like a pretty sincere guy. Props for de Blasio for that transportation report, but I highly doubt that that was anything more than a pro-transportation fluff piece written by a couple of interns.)

The hosting software bugged out on me and lost the original post. I am strictly going BBCode mode from now on when I post.

Anyway, I wanted to add that real estate buyers are cashing in on the good deals that this scenerio offers with SAS construction, finding good deals along Second Ave that one cannot find anywhere else in Manhattan. Along with the fact that construction is not always happening in areas along the SAS simuntaneously, not all areas along the SAS is experiencing high levels of disruptions and noise pollution. So yes buyers are not shy to buy up up property along Second Ave, as they are seeing the long term benefits of investing in such good deals currently up for grabs in the area in the Upper East Side.

No comment on Bloomberg ...

Can we please stop with the Third Av El nonsense? Because that is never, ever happening. You can't run it down the median because the road is one-way, and no one wants trains next to their window.

An entirely more likely scenario is the addition of express tracks on a lower level in 2207 once the original SAS is completed.

I was simply making a point about the SAS quite possibly not being enough, however, as I've also said before, post-Sandy a lot of things need to be re-evaluated.

Archived