Tell me more about this

sirtiger

Yeah, but on the other hand: they do allow that in Belgium and I've yet to hear one incident because of that (letting someone in or out of a moving train).

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I've heard many times where people have gotten hurt getting on and off moving trains. 

at least he can ring the buzzer to hold it off for few extra second more. duh. i am not trying to get off a moving train here. no way i wouldnt go for that. he was standing right there where the buzzer button was right in front of his face but nooooooo he an as***le. sorry that my view. everytime i stand up on the train i alway feel the jolt or buckle when train start moving. (comet car)

If the train hasn't moved yet, we'll probably open the doors again, but using the passenger emergency intercom in the vestibule is preferable.

I never knew about the emergency intercom.....where is that?  thanks for the info

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I've heard many times where people have gotten hurt getting on and off moving trains. 

there are a lot of nut cases.  The craziest I ever witness in person was a passenger wanted out and ran in between the train cars and leaped out to the platform!  :o  :o  :o

You're right. In fact, I totally forgot that there was an incident in Belgium last year. An elderly guy was trying to board the train which was just taking off. The conductor said that he shouldn't board because he couldn't walk that well anymore due to his age so let alone board a just moving train (if he was walking well the conductor would've let him on). But the guy tried to anyway and got stuck between the platform and the train. Luckily for him, that caused the train to stop leaving him with *just* a broken leg.

But that was the first time it ever happened there. I was taking Belgium as an example, I never said anything about it not happening in the States.

Some genius decided to pull the emergency cord on my train today because he missed his stop.  We unloaded passengers at Beacon, doors closed and away we started to go.  A couple of seconds later <woosh!>  the train dumped.  The conductor and myself (I was the trainman on this particular train) started to look for a dump cord pulled and sure enough, the offender out right admitted to pulling it.  What he didn't know was there were cops on the platform.  When we opened the door to let the guy out the conductor yelled to the cops that "this moron dumped the train because he was missing his stop".  All one of the cops said was "identification please". 

Priceless!

Does anyone know what the fine is?

In my subway experience, it seems like its rarely a real emergency and quite a handful of people have pulled that chord. So I wonder if those guilty one has been fined as well......my best guess is most people are clueless oppose to pranksters. 

Does anyone know what the fine is?

In my subway experience, it seems like its rarely a real emergency and quite a handful of people have pulled that chord. So I wonder if those guilty one has been fined as well......my best guess is most people are clueless oppose to pranksters. 

I don't know what the fine is for LIRR/MNRR but it's 200 euros for the Dutch Railways (NS that is, dunno about Arriva and others).

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago as we were leaving Jamaica some a**hole started whaling on the buzzer. My guess was he missed the stop. With the buzzer still going off like mad, the Conductor came on the intercom and said "will whoever is pressing the buzzer stop that? Now I have to check every car". We sat there for about 1 minute while the crew canvassed the train looking for the a**hole. Wasn't in my car so I have no idea if he just got yelled at or what but I do know that we proceeded out of Jamaica without re-opening the doors.

Archived