Southern Brooklynites want a ferry during R train outage, but city, state and feds say no

Harry

This nonsense keeps coming up because he continues to perpetuate the situation.  It's like okay so you feel a certain way.  You've stated your opinion NUMEROUS times now on numerous occasions about how you feel about certain members.  You would think he would drop it and move on, but all I keep hearing about is the same sh*t over and over again. It's worse than a 5 year old. 

---

Now back to subject at hand, it seems as if the Rockaways are trying to push to keep their ferry service which started running after the (A) train was knocked out.  A lot of people seem to like it but I think it's heavily subsidized currently by the city.  I personally think that the city should explore providing ferry service to more communities if they can keep costs down and have an operator come in and provide it similar to the way it's been successful in Williamsburg.  It could allow for more work to be done to upgrade subway lines and to improve service overall.

I mean, unless somehow the city obtains EV ferries, a large part of that cost is going to be fuel, and given the relatively low amount of people in the Rockaways, it's going to be expensive.

The problem with expanding ferry service is that there isn't a ton of demand from the Brooklyn side. Maybe with all the development in DUMBO, Williamsburg, and that Domino plant, there might be a place for more ferries in the future, but ferries are expensive to operate on a per-rider basis. This is harder than it is with New Jersey, since you can't really bike or walk across the Hudson, but there are three bridges between Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg and Manhattan, each with pedestrian and bike facilities. It's not exactly an easy competitive environment here.

None of those posts state where I live.  They just mention streets I walking on or areas I was in.  Take from that what you may. The point is the only one interested in it is you.  No one else is going around searching posts for nonsense like this besides you.

"there was one on Johnson Avenue by 235th street, a block away from me"

"I have one small supermarket a block from my apartment here in Riverdale (and no it isn't Whole Foods but a simple Key Food) and I manage to do just fine."

"I have a buddy of mine who lives around the corner from me there on Johnson"

And you mention the demographics of Delafield between Broadway & Elizabeth (not West Brighton as a whole, or West Brighton by Forest & Broadway) and refer to it as "our part of West Brighton"

Considering how often you gave it away, I didn't even have to search for posts. 

I mean, unless somehow the city obtains EV ferries, a large part of that cost is going to be fuel, and given the relatively low amount of people in the Rockaways, it's going to be expensive.

The problem with expanding ferry service is that there isn't a ton of demand from the Brooklyn side. Maybe with all the development in DUMBO, Williamsburg, and that Domino plant, there might be a place for more ferries in the future, but ferries are expensive to operate on a per-rider basis. This is harder than it is with New Jersey, since you can't really bike or walk across the Hudson, but there are three bridges between Downtown Brooklyn/Williamsburg and Manhattan, each with pedestrian and bike facilities. It's not exactly an easy competitive environment here.

Not to mention that we have a bunch of subway lines from Brooklyn/Queens to Manhattan, whereas NJ only has the PATH and NJT trains (of course, they have the buses too, but overall, we have more non-ferry options than they do). 

"I have one small supermarket a block from my apartment here in Riverdale (and no it isn't Whole Foods but a simple Key Food) and I manage to do just fine."

And you mention the demographics of Delafield between Broadway & Elizabeth (not West Brighton as a whole, or West Brighton by Forest & Broadway) and refer to it as "our part of West Brighton"

Not to mention that we have a bunch of subway lines from Brooklyn/Queens to Manhattan, whereas NJ only has the PATH and NJT trains (of course, they have the buses too, but overall, we have more non-ferry options than they do). 

Yeah I know what I stated.  Like I said, you can infer and speculate what you will from that. All you have is a general area, not a specific block.  

I'm just going to discreetly point out that this is starting to sound really, really creepy. Why do we need to talk about people and where they live?

/endwhisper

I'm just going to discreetly point out that this is starting to sound really, really creepy. Why do we need to talk about people and where they live?

/endwhisper

LMFAO, you made my day!

Compared to other stuff in this forum (this section in particular) I'd say it's been fairly average today.

I'm not familiar with the other stuff you are referring to. However, I have never seen conflicts between members escalate to this level... ever. Anywhere.

I'm not familiar with the other stuff you are referring to. However, I have never seen conflicts between members escalate to this level... ever. Anywhere.

Well everyone took the flame bait (not my words) that Snowblock put out the other day, but then again we don't want to go down that discussion again.

/endwhisper

I don't know. Maybe you should ask VG8 why he brought it up. If he hadn't lied, I wouldn't have disproved him by bringing up his own posts.

Yeah I know what I stated.  Like I said, you can infer and speculate what you will from that. All you have is a general area, not a specific block.  

Delafield between Broadway & Elizabeth isn't a specific block?

==========================================

Anyway, as for the discussion, my point still stands that the ferry service isn't needed. They still have the (R) train if they're willing to make the transfers, and they have the existing express buses in the area. (Which will probably see a service increase anyway, since people will naturally shift to them). The B37 (which I know wasn't mentioned in this thread) should be brought back, but it's irrelevant as far as the (R) is concerned unless they plan to send it to Manhattan. 

Me personally, I still think there should be a local bus route (besides the B16) connecting Shore Road to the (N) at 59th Street. A B9 extension would probably make the route too long, but maybe splitting the B9 at 59th Street (or maybe sending the eastern portion to Lutheran) would work as far as providing a direct link to the (N). I think it should happen regardless or whether the (R) is relegated to shuttle service, but of course, it would be even more useful in this case.

This nonsense keeps coming up because he continues to perpetuate the situation.  It's like okay so you feel a certain way.  You've stated your opinion NUMEROUS times now on numerous occasions about how you feel about certain members.  You would think he would drop it and move on, but all I keep hearing about is the same sh*t over and over again. It's worse than a 5 year old. 

---

Now back to subject at hand, it seems as if the Rockaways are trying to push to keep their ferry service which started running after the (A) train was knocked out.  A lot of people seem to like it but I think it's heavily subsidized currently by the city.  I personally think that the city should explore providing ferry service to more communities if they can keep costs down and have an operator come in and provide it similar to the way it's been successful in Williamsburg.  It could allow for more work to be done to upgrade subway lines and to improve service overall.

You, stop.

I'm so scared.  :rolleyes:

Oh good, watch what happens.

Cut the crap out now!

I don't think that's gonna do it.

Compared to other stuff in this forum (this section in particular) I'd say it's been fairly average today.

You get used to it once you've been on internet forums for as long as I have.

Instead of having the fighting continue, this thread is getting locked, and you can thank your peers for that.

Archived