General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah the price is a killer, I might have to see if I can pay for this in installments. Lovely camera though! Any models below that killer price I can use? Specifically for underground subway use since getting underground shots is not easy.

I'd say to go for the best off the bat. The camera is a one-time cost, but each picture you take will depend on the quality of the camera again and again. That said, I picked this compact specifically for high-ISO, low-noise performance (since that's pretty much the most important metric to me). You can also go to B&H in Manhattan to play around with the camera to see for yourself. I generally assess low-light performance on-the-spot by aiming the camera at the ceiling (where it's dark) and seeing how the pictures turn out.

More on the Sony α7 series: http://petapixel.com/2014/07/04/philip-bloom-compares-eyes-sonys-a7s-beautifully-shot-low-light-video/

A video shot by a film maker shows the difference between what a human eye can see and what the α7 can see.

I'm a skeptic of camera that claim to be high quality and sensitive (high-ISO), but this video offers a very compelling reason to keep an eye on what Sony has in store for the future. It's a short clip showing the output from the camera at different ISO levels. This was shot during the night with light from only the fire, but you'll see that at 409600, it's no different from shooting in daylight…

Den Lennie explains how the video was shot:

You know it's a notable breakthrough in camera technology when commentators claim the video has been faked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-patent-discloses-groundbreaking-per-pixel-exposure-sensor/

Sony files a patent for "per-pixel exposure" system. Instead of HDR where a camera takes multiple pictures at different exposures, Sony's lays claim to the idea that each individual pixel should automatically get the right amount of exposure, making HDR obsolete. How this is going to be expressed in JPEG/RAW metadata is anyone's guess, but Sony might have to introduce a new "exposure" channel stored alongside the usual red, green, and blue ones.

I've left Sony for Nikon, particularly the D3200. The loss of light to the sensor due to the translucent mirror became a bother, that 30% really makes a difference.

Rumors say the next one will have the translucent mirror move. It makes sense for videos to keep the translucent mirror in place for autofocus during shooting, but for still photos moving the mirror out of the way is more beneficial.

The overall trend, however, is for all cameras to become mirrorless, and have the sensor be responsible for everything. If we consider only the sensor, Sony wins. Even Canon is buying Sony-made sensors for their cameras. Nikon does too.

• 2 weeks later...

Olympus has a new trick for the sensor-shift mechanism: double the resolution in each direction by moving the sensor half a pixel over. Normally used for high dynamic range or noise reduction in other cameras, the system takes 8 separate exposures which are combined to get the high-resolution image. Of course, it also requires the camera and scene to remain motionless.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-take-a-look-olympus-will-use-the-5-axis-stabilization-to-create-high-resolution-images-on-the-fly/

• 1 year later...

So yeah, my S9300 has been rendered unusable. Too many bugs with the dials. Got eyes on my next toy, but one things certain,

I am NEVER buying another gps camera again. 

****shudder****    I felt like the cops were trackin me yo....  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

What's a GPS camera?

Sorry it took so long to answer this...

Lately some companies including Nikon have been mounting GPS chips in or on top of their cameras for geo-tagging (and other functions I guess). Personally, I didn't want the chip, but as companies do, they make their main model with the chip to get everyone to buy it, and we're supposed to rave over it as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

I am not amused.

I mean, that police tracking comment was a joke (I hope) but GPS in a camera is useless to my daily experience, and hence, I'm ready to shed it.

Sorry it took so long to answer this...

Lately some companies including Nikon have been mounting GPS chips in or on top of their cameras for geo-tagging (and other functions I guess). Personally, I didn't want the chip, but as companies do, they make their main model with the chip to get everyone to buy it, and we're supposed to rave over it as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

I am not amused.

I mean, that police tracking comment was a joke (I hope) but GPS in a camera is useless to my daily experience, and hence, I'm ready to shed it.

I remember you said you were thinking about buying a Nikon DSLR back in 2014

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...