General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

Metsfan, just so you know for the subway:

Though that doesn't necessarily apply to Amtrak...

Yea, i know. Doesnt apply for monopods, or the one i'll be getting anyways, as it doubles from a walking stick. Tripods would be for street photos, not subway stuff. :P

- Andy

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Fujifilm A500 with 5 MP and 3X Digital Zoom. Nothing special. My camera doesn't really have many options though. If I change from Auto to Manual I only get to change three more things (White Balance, and two other things), so I usually always keep my camerao n Auto but change the ISO when I'm underground. I'd want a new camera (P&S) with image stabilization, at least 7 MP, etc. Kinda like an HP PHotosmart.

I use a Fujifilm A500 with 5 MP and 3X Digital Zoom. Nothing special. My camera doesn't really have many options though. If I change from Auto to Manual I only get to change three more things (White Balance, and two other things), so I usually always keep my camerao n Auto but change the ISO when I'm underground. I'd want a new camera (P&S) with image stabilization, at least 7 MP, etc. Kinda like an HP PHotosmart.

what are the 2 other things on your fujifilm ??

and whatever you do DO NOT BUY A HP PHOTOSMART CAMERA

those are BAD, VERY VERY BAD

trust me i had to put up with one for 6 months...just couldn't take it anymore and bought my nikon L11

that thing now doesn't even work anymore, the thing won't charge anymore and the lens lid is broken

Yeah, the 35mm is a great choice. Considering the D50's crop factor, it's the closest thing to a 50mm prime that you'll get. I can't wait for my brother to get it back to me, i've been using my 50mm f/1.8 lately, but its just too narrow FOV for a lot of shots.

I have a few cameras through out the years I took photos with. My first camera was this crappy Mercury Cyberpix S-450, then I have the Canon SD200 (which was a excellent camera), then I had a Sony DSC-W70, which was a half ass camera, then a Kodak Z612 which was another half ass camera, and now I have my Nikon D40, which is treating me VERY well.

What do yoiu use for taking beautiful Transit Pictures or for fun? Whether its a Digital Camara, Camcorder, Mobile Phone, PDA or what ever technology you have for pictures~~:D:cool:

Post here a host of it and the model if u can =)

Would be fun to see what you got :D

Me its a Samsung S73 /A Part of the S730 Family

hs7abfg8drgrrgge2pp.jpg

More info here:

http://www.samsungcamera.com/product/pro_view.asp?prol_uid=2698&cat_uid=11

Got it Aug 30th :rolleyes::D I love it!!

Theres a similar thread here:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4477

But anyways, I'm packing a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (discontinued in favor for the FZ18, and at that know someone who has one and I rather the FZ8 over the FZ18).

panasonic_fz8_5.jpg

Hoping to move on soon to a DSLR though. Gonna keep the Panasonic for video purposes though, and when I'm not carrying the DSLR.

• 2 weeks later...

Kay, well my dad purchased the Cybershot DSC-S730 Camera, and compared to the other videos I have, its not as clean. Is there any way to change the video settings on the camera or such? Because the 5.1 MP camera I have shows waaaaaaay cleaner. I'll upload videos to show the quality (if its different on youtube)

• 3 weeks later...

This ever changing guide is intended to allow everyone to enjoy the art and activity of photography without worrying about the outcome of your images.

The newest updates on lower cost cameras and comparatively inexpensive higher end cameras will be highlighted here on a monthly basis by me but everyone is welcome to contribute.

I am dedicated to helping everyone meet their needs when it comes to photography. It helps people participate in events and capture memories and interesting goings on and share it with others.

The next post will be a list of features you should look for when purchasing a camera aside from cost. If you feel something is wrong or missing please feel free to chime in! :rolleyes:

Many companies will tell you that this feature is the one to look for or this one is inferior so avoid it. I will attempt to sort through the key features every digital camera should have from the most basic to a little higher end.

CCD or image sensor.

The one thing to look for with a CCD is that it isn't too small. You need to check the specifications to how big the CCD is. If you try and get a 7 megapixel and up camera you want the CCD to be at least around 1 cm at the narrowest dimension. Under 7 you don't want it to get smaller than half cm or 5 mm. Most cell phones have CCD of 3 mm and are not useful for photography.

Effective pixels vs total pixels. You want these 2 numbers to be at least .1 megapixels different. It allows for greater blur reduction and crisper result the more the difference.

Over all pixel count is important. If you want to take video you want over 6 megapixels. If you want large detailed images go with the higher number. If you want basic photos that are 8.5 inches by 11 inches anything over 4 will be fine. Less than 4 these days isn't really worth it, especially if its an older camera.

So if you have a relatively (compared to other models) large CCD with a decent pixel differential and effective pixel count of a healthy size you'll end up with solid crisp images worth looking at for a good while.

Next post will be about optics.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yep Im movin on up to a more advanced camera option..well...not too advanved but the one I have now is getting kinda "beat" lets just put it this way its not the same when I first got it in Early '07 it cuts on and off when it wants to and whenever I shoot some pictures in daylight the exposure is very dark so i decided to just move this one to the side and getting something a little better, I will admit though this Finepix S3100 did me pretty well over the past 2 years..Rain, Sleet and Snow it took some good stuff heres a pic of it below incase some never seen me with it before:

fujis3100front123cc32bn3.jpg

Not too shabby looking for a camera that was new in 2004!

as for the one im getting its the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 model...to what I hear sony makes great cameras so im gonna go with that I was gonna get the H9 or H50 but I decided to go smaller...dont let the looks of this thing fool you it basically a SLR camera in a smaller cameras body got most of the same features it has a nice Sized LCD Screen along with it the only thing I might dislike and will have to get use to is the absense of a view finder but it might not be necesary PLUS Im use to using LCD screens all the time, I copied and pasted the review for you guys to see I'll let that explain the rest of it...HOPEFULLY I will have this by the Begginning of February -- CAN'T WAIT!!! heres a pic of what im getting attached below:

sonyh1045015536b5mr4.jpg

The new Sony Cybershot H10 uses a powerful Carl Zeiss 10x optical zoom lens with Super SteadyShot optical image stabilization to capture action at a distance. The lens yields sharp, high-contrast images and reduces color fringing, even when shooting in telephoto ranges.

Its improved “advanced sports” shooting mode now employs a system to apply higher shutter speeds, up to 1/4000 of a second, more frequently than on previous models. This mode combines high shutter speeds with predictive continuous auto-focusing so you can quickly focus and capture fast-moving subjects with minimal shutter lag - basically the time it takes for the camera to focus and shoot.

The large, bright 3.0" Clear Photo LCD Plus display, and an anti-reflective coating provides for excellent visibility to help you compose, view, and share photos with superb clarity and color reproduction, even in bright sunlight.

The H-series cameras incorporate selectable in-camera editing functions so you can spend more time on the field and less time behind a computer. Equipped with Sony’s new Dynamic Range Optimizer, originally developed for the Alpha digital SLR system, the new cameras can analyze captured image data and instantly determine the best exposure and tonality of each picture before JPEG compression. A new D-Range Optimizer (DRO) plus mode applies a high image correction algorithm to retrieve more picture detail in bright highlights and dark shadows.

Other helpful features include five color modes that provide the same effects via in-camera image processing that are typically achieved with colored lens filters; in-camera editing features; advanced in-camera image management functions; improved slide show functions with longer music files; and HD component output for viewing photos on a compatible HDTV set.

The cameras use 31MB of internal memory, which can be expanded further with an optional Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick PRO Duo card, available in capacities up to 8 gigabytes. A high-speed USB 2.0 port provides connectivity with Windows and Mac computers for fast transfers of images and movies. You can make high-quality prints by simply connecting the camera to any PictBridge compatible photo printer.

DSC-H10 Major Features:

Sony 8.1 Megapixel effective CCD image sensor

Carl Zeiss 10x Zoom (38-380mm equivalent in 35mm photography)

Super SteadyShot Optical Image Stabilization fights motion blur, even during longer exposures at full zoom.

MPEG Movie: 640x480 VX Fine w/audio at 30fps (Memory Stick Duo Pro required),

640x480 VX at 16fps, approx 10 minutes.

Auto, Program AE and Manual Exposure

Live histogram display in capture and playback

9 Area Multi-point AF; Monitoring AF

3.0-inch LCD screen (230,000 pixels)

ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

High Sensitivity Mode (ISO 3200) allows you to shoot with great results in low-light conditions

Built-in flash with Auto, Forced On and Off, Red Eye Reduction and Slow Synchro

USB 2.0 high speed Auto-Connect to host computer