General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stand by my opinion that SLRs shouldn't be used for video purposes, they were made for picture taking in mind, HD camcorders are dropping in price as of late and stuff and those offer better frame rates and all that!

I'm with you on this 100%.

I stand by my opinion that SLRs shouldn't be used for video purposes, they were made for picture taking in mind, HD camcorders are dropping in price as of late and stuff and those offer better frame rates and all that!

You are aware that they shoot TV shows and movies with DSLRS now, right? The House season finale was shot entirely with a Canon DSLR, and Lucasfilms are shooting a major movie project with a DSLR too http://philipbloom.net/2010/05/12/redtails/

DSLRs > Camcorders.

You are aware that they shoot TV shows and movies with DSLRS now, right? The House season finale was shot entirely with a Canon DSLR, and Lucasfilms are shooting a major movie project with a DSLR too http://philipbloom.net/2010/05/12/redtails/

DSLRs > Camcorders.

Yes, I am very aware of that fact, as long as it SAVES them movey, they can do whatever the hell they want, heh.

Im not gonna whore myself out for a camera! :P

The person behind the camera matters more than the camera itself. I'm not looking into an SLR because they can't record video.

That part is true. Unless it's one of the newer models, no older [and likely cheaper] DSLRs have a video feature. So it's either a great camera with no video mode or a trade off for a decent camera with a video mode. If you really like to take videos, I would say stick with a point and shoot.

As a person that is fortunate to have one of each, I say you can still take fairly good pics with a P&S cam. So no need to sacrifice the video mode.

Edited by Grand Concourse

That part is true. Unless it's one of the newer models, no 'cheap' DSLRs have a video feature. So it's either a great camera with no video mode or a trade off for a decent camera with a video mode. If you really like to take videos, I would say stick with a point and shoot.

As a person that is fortunate to have one of each, I say you can still take fairly good pics with a P&S cam. So no need to sacrifice the video mode.

True. I think I may just stick to the camera I mentioned because it takes great photos and records 720p HD vids.

i would recommend that camera, I have the Canon S5 which is an older version of that camera; it is great to use and has all the manual settings that is offered by an SLR (although the ranges arent that good and the photo quality wont be as good as an SLR's as it is still technically a Point & Shoot) either way it is still a very competent and complete camera and i would easily recommend it, excellent if you are looking for something to practice with before you get an SLR (like me lol)

idk exactly about that one, but if your into movies, the movie mode on my S5 is excellent. the picture is vivid and clear (even at 320x240 resolution), the sound is crisp, i can use the optical zoom while filming and it focuses automatically (however the files are huge). ive seen some samples from the newer DSLRs that can record movies, and the quality isnt as good.

however, always remember a good photographer gets good pictures with any equipment.

i would recommend that camera, I have the Canon S5 which is an older version of that camera; it is great to use and has all the manual settings that is offered by an SLR (although the ranges arent that good and the photo quality wont be as good as an SLR's as it is still technically a Point & Shoot) either way it is still a very competent and complete camera and i would easily recommend it, excellent if you are looking for something to practice with before you get an SLR (like me lol)

idk exactly about that one, but if your into movies, the movie mode on my S5 is excellent. the picture is vivid and clear (even at 320x240 resolution), the sound is crisp, i can use the optical zoom while filming and it focuses automatically (however the files are huge). ive seen some samples from the newer DSLRs that can record movies, and the quality isnt as good.

however, always remember a good photographer gets good pictures with any equipment.

Yes, I was looking into this Canon because it is a bridge camera. I wanna learn about aperture and shutter speed befor I get a full fledged SLR. I also found this really good deal that comes with a bunch of accesories for only 35 bucks more.

http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/review-product-information.asp?id=964807358

Yes, I was looking into this Canon because it is a bridge camera. I wanna learn about aperture and shutter speed befor I get a full fledged SLR. I also found this really good deal that comes with a bunch of accesories for only 35 bucks more.

http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/review-product-information.asp?id=964807358

its too bad the Sx10/Sx20 doesnt support conversion lenses & doesnt have the adapter..with my S5, i could get the adapter (which isnt even on the market anymore smh lol) and attach 58mm filters to it too..

• 1 month later...

I got a new camera yesterday and I'm looking for some help. I'm not very experienced with SRL's, but I know some of the basics. Anyway, I got a Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera.

(See this link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613611-REG/Canon_3818B001_EOS_Rebel_T1i_Digital.html)

I am using the camera for a bunch of different scenarios. So if you can, please provide some tips for each of the scenarios.

1) To cover soccer and baseball games (outdoors)

2) Railfanning (both over and underground)

3) Other random pics

I have a 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens. Thanks for the help!

(18-55mm Lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/519475.jpg)

(55-250mm Lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/543923.jpg)

I have those exact two lenses with my Canon Rebel XSi

Railfanning the 18-55 is the only lens on my camera, in fact its there all the time except for when i go to air shows.

My advice for railfan pix is know the good photo stations, the ones with the space at the end of the platform to take pictures of the trains. This isnt as important outdoors where you have enough light to get a clear shot of the train as its pulling away or coming in. I often take the same picture at a few shutter speeds to see what comes out best, its nice to have some choices when you are looking to post up stuff.

The t1i might have improved slightly, i dont know but I know I cant get anything clear and sharp under 1/13th of a second. Outdoors just leave it in P mode and set the ISO speed to 200.

Sports photography I don't have a lot of experience with, best bet is to experiment, its fast moving so you will need the zoom with a quick shutter speed, but not too quick that things get too dark.

The T1i is only a slight step up from the XSi, at 15.1 MP (up from 12.2) and the addition of a video mode. Otherwise it's still very much the same APS-C CMOS sensor and the same 1.6x focal length multiplier, keep in mind that 18-55mm is about 28-88mm on an APS-C camera while 55-250mm is basically 88-400mm.

For underground shots you'll want to use an ISO setting of 800-1600 and depending on your ISO the maximum shutter speed you'll get at 800 is 1/60 without worrying about darkening and you can't take any pictures of moving trains but the lighting will appear nice and soft like so:

IMG_0214.jpg

That was taken at ISO 800 with a 1/60 shutter speed. The train is moving so it came out a little fuzzy.

If you crank it up to ISO 1600 you can go as high as 1/125 shutter speed without losing light but some things may appear brighter and sharper like so:

IMG_0647.jpg

You'll notice this in the (1) and the florescent lights- That picture was taken at a shutter speed of 1/100th of a second with the aperture at f/3.5 (better light intake), which means I shot this at the wide end of my 18-55mm (18mm), you'll want to avoid zooming as much as possible as the lens becomes slower at longer focal ranges (especially 55mm on the 18-55, the maximum aperture is f/5.6) and your pictures are easier to blur and appear darker unless you lower the shutter speed to compensate.

As for sports photography, you'll obviously want to make heavy use of your 55-250mm. Since sports fields are usually brightly lit (or daytime games) you won't have to worry about using higher shutter speeds to capture precious moments. I'd say 1/250 and up is best for sporting events depending on lighting and the pace of the game.