General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

Does anyone have this camera? I was looking for a nice HD video camera since my Sony W70 finally kicked the bucket. It looks like it shoots good hd videos. Just looking for a HD Camcorder.

I guess the only con about this HD Camcorder is the zoom

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I have those exact two lenses with my Canon Rebel XSi

Railfanning the 18-55 is the only lens on my camera, in fact its there all the time except for when i go to air shows.

My advice for railfan pix is know the good photo stations, the ones with the space at the end of the platform to take pictures of the trains. This isnt as important outdoors where you have enough light to get a clear shot of the train as its pulling away or coming in. I often take the same picture at a few shutter speeds to see what comes out best, its nice to have some choices when you are looking to post up stuff.

The t1i might have improved slightly, i dont know but I know I cant get anything clear and sharp under 1/13th of a second. Outdoors just leave it in P mode and set the ISO speed to 200.

Sports photography I don't have a lot of experience with, best bet is to experiment, its fast moving so you will need the zoom with a quick shutter speed, but not too quick that things get too dark.

Is IS really worth the extra price and limited selection?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No I always bring my camera with me. I never know what I'll run into that i'd want a photo of. Even if I get a DSLR I'd still keep my P&S camera because there'll be days I won't feel like carrying a camera around my neck all day long.

I remember when I thought SLR's were unnecessary, I used one a couple of years ago at a graduation, I just thought it did the same exact thing as a P&S but was just huge. B)

Now knowing more about cameras I see I was way off, wish my phone had the power of an SLR lol.

Most Camera phones are disgusting.

Fixed. ;)

But seriously I wouldn't say that, especially for the newer phones. I've seen some impressive stuff with iPhones & Androids.

Fixed. :D

But seriously I wouldn't say that, especially for the newer phones. I've seen some impressive stuff with iPhones & Androids.

ALL Camera phones are disgusting.

Fixed.

No cameraphone can match up with even the most basic of P&Ss.

Fixed.

No cameraphone can match up with even the most basic of P&Ss.

I don't see why not, some phones have bigger/better sensors/lenses than P&S's. Well I guess it depends on the camera and conditions, my phone doesn't do good in low lighting. As I'm editing pics they're pretty much neck and neck. The exception being the HDR'd shots my phone does, I can't stay perfectly still so they're not sharp up close.

They = Kodak P&S & iPhone 4; both are 5 megapixels.

They = Kodak P&S & iPhone 4; both are 5 megapixels.

Don't get caught up in the whole megapixel myth. It's not the megapixels that's important...it's the pixel density. Pixel density = megapixels per square millimeter. Ridiculously high pixel densities only degrade image quality.

Imagine two devices; both have 5 megapixel sensors. Device #1 has a sensor of pixel density 5MP/mm². Now imagine device #2 has a sensor of PD 2.5MP/mm². Device #2 has a lower pixel density...less pixels per square millimeter. Ceteris paribus, device #2 will have better resolution than #1 and therefore judgmentally better image quality.