General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

1. Any reason why you are looking into Sony?

2. You can achieve that with your H20....if you only took care of it...

3. ANY CAMERA can achieve that, just gotta know how to use it!

4. Depending on the user, most DSLRs are not easy to use.

5. There are filters for that.

There's nothing wrong with Sony cams. I use them and they've served me well all these years. As for DSLR vs P&S, I pretty much use the P&S cams like 80% of the time. DSLRs are more a special occasion type deal and I typically prefer a long zoom lens vs shorter zoom.

As stated already, a high end cam is useless if the person isn't skilled enough to use it. I've used mostly P&S cams and find I can acheive as good a shot as i would with a DSLR cam. Just gotta have steady hands and keep the lens clean, etc.

As for specific brands, I'm not saying get one over the other, so I'd defer to the rest of the folks here on what brand is superior. I'm just defending Sony because well it's what I've used most of my life, but that doesn't mean I'd say pick Sony over [name of brand].

Just my 2cents

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have this camera. Normally, I take pictures using AUTO, but I would like to try something new, as in, trying out other settings. Suggestions?

Oh, stop showing off. :P

I have a Samsung S500 (8.5 Megapixels). I'm not too familiar with photography lingo. The Samsung models are the most user-friendly. I'm actually looking to upgrade since I had the same camera for 3 years. I'm looking at another Samsung model that takes better underground pics.

I have this camera. Normally, I take pictures using AUTO, but I would like to try something new, as in, trying out other settings. Suggestions?

Oh, stop showing off. :P

I dont think your camera would have any manual control modes..try playing around with the Scene modes or Program (P) mode, if it has one.

• 2 months later...

I am going to buy a Canon DSLR (T2i or T3i) with a Sigma 30mm or 50mm f/1.4 lens for clear, low light train shots. I am also planning to get a telephoto for outdoor train shots. I have narrowed it down to the Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM and the Canon 200mm f/2.8L. Both lenses, according to reviews, are great buys. However, I want to know which of the two lens are perfect for me. Please note that I will have the money to buy either of the two.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/Canon_2578A002_EF_70_200mm_f_4L_USM.html#pr-header-183198

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/129190-USA/Canon_2529A004AA_Telephoto_EF_200mm_f_2_8L.html#pr-header-129190

50mm will be a lot for you to work with in the subways... That's about equal to this field of view:

IMG_0690.jpg (Photo taken at 46mm, I was standing at the opposite crosswalk)

And I'd take the 70-200mm if I were you, having a prime 200mm means all your shots will more or less be trickier to use in some spots

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for a new camera after my old one got damaged. It was an old camera, with just 8 MP, but it served me long and well. Now, I'm ready for an upgrade. I am considering two cameras, both on Amazon- a GE Power Pro X500-BK 16 MP with 15 x Optical Zoom Digital Camera, Black, with a 15x optical zoom, 3200 ISO, an electronic view finder, and more. The cost: $139.95. The other camera I am considering is a Fujifilm FinePix S2950 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 18x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LCD. In can capture a 720p HD Movie, Motion Panorama shooting mode, and Dual image stabilization, and more. The cost: $160 Please help! I have $100 saved, and I'm looking for advice so know what to but, and when I do but, I feel that it was smart choice. I'm kinda leaning to the Fujifilm camera, but that GE camera looks interesting too (16 MP!).

Here are the links-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HO58NO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004WKKOFK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04CRRJ9H61TM3Z9SJYSR (Fujifilm)

http://www.amazon.com/Power-X500-BK-Optical-Digital-Camera/dp/B004LB4SAM/ref=pd_cp_p_3 (GE)

Thanks! It sounds like Fujifilm is the choice by many, then. I was leaning toward it, and seeing the advice makes me want to buy it. However, I would like to see some more help in regards to this question, as I want to be sure before buying it. Thanks for the advice, though!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

Well for intro, I am new to the field of photography and still learning how to take good pictures and figuring out the camera. I noticed that my camera, Canon Powershot SD1100 IS doesn't take acceptable photos without flash or of any moving subject in low light, even with flash. The photos turn out smudgy and grainy, due to high ISO. I have been thinking about getting a new camera, since I love occasionally to railfan, do I need more advanced camera, like DSLRs or just better point and shoot? Is the difference between two in image quality worth the extra money? Are entry level DSLRs any good, if so which ones? I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks for input in advance.

Hello everyone

Well for intro, I am new to the field of photography and still learning how to take good pictures and figuring out the camera. I noticed that my camera, Canon Powershot SD1100 IS doesn't take acceptable photos without flash or of any moving subject in low light, even with flash. The photos turn out smudgy and grainy, due to high ISO. I have been thinking about getting a new camera, since I love occasionally to railfan, do I need more advanced camera, like DSLRs or just better point and shoot? Is the difference between two in image quality worth the extra money? Are entry level DSLRs any good, if so which ones? I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks for input in advance.

Hello everybody

Well, lets say I am new to photography, still learning about basics and everything. But one can teach himself only limited amount of things, thus is why I am here. I have been using regular point and shoot camera and I believe this is a limiting factor for a better photography. Pictures come out grainy and smudgy while railfanning, using flash isn't always possible, especially since flash is not permitted on NYCT property. I believe I need to upgrade my camera and I thought of DSLR cameras.

Railfans with experince and photo pros will you help me with this dilema? Do I need to get DSLR or should I settle for modern point-and-shoot? Is the image quality worth the extra money? If so which ones would you recommend. Thanks in advance

P.S. My current camera is Canon SD1100 IS

• 3 months later...
We're just not entirely sure who they're for; APS-C users have the 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM, and full frame users are more likely to be using the company's L series optics. It's also a little unusual to see stabilization added to lenses this wide but that's the decision Canon has made.

This should solidify your answer on the lens, they're f/2.8... Which is odd for a prime since those are usually in the f1.2-f/1.8 range

AF-S/USM is all the rage these days. I'd personally love to see Nikon take more of an initiative with USM like Canon has. But then again, Canon did shut the door on their shooters when they introduced the EF mount...perhaps this is their way of saying "thank you"?

AF-S/USM is all the rage these days. I'd personally love to see Nikon take more of an initiative with USM like Canon has. But then again, Canon did shut the door on their shooters when they introduced the EF mount...perhaps this is their way of saying "thank you"?

Heh, I guess you could say that... This is more of a.... "They're not quite L-optics but this is as close as you'll get for $850!"

These would have been OK if they had designed them for the crop bodies and not the full-frames...