General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'll either keep it in a nondescript North Face backpack or my Domke satchel. They both have the advantage of not being an obvious "camera bag".

That's something along the lines of what I'd like to do, but then how do you protect it in there besides simply being careful with the bag?

In the backpack, depending on what else i'm carrying that day, i'll protect the bottom of the bag with an old t-shirt rolled up. Lenses I keep in lens sacks (drawstring-close, padded interior). In the satchel, the bottom is already padded so i'm not worried about that. The two bodies I carry are pro-level bodies, so i'm not worried about abusing them. They're probably a lot more rugged than I am, heh.

• 1 month later...

I have a 3.5 year old Canon Vixia HF11 with zoom issues. It zooms in on its own sometimes and sometimes continues to zoom in slowly after you let go of the control.

Cost of repair is approximately $282.

A new one costs roughly $750. (Canon Vixia HF M52)

Do you think its worth the repair, given that the HF11 is discontinued? (It's not like I can't afford the new one, I just don't want to waste $$)

Is the new model a significant improvement?

Some improvement, especially low light. But it has a 10x zoom vs. my current 12x zoom. Other additional features are added (touch screen, WiFi, etc) but I don't see much use for them.

Edited by Amtrak7

• 1 month later...

Hello to all SLR gurus.

I will be buying a D7000 body and will need help choosing lens. I laid my eyes upon nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, but for a noob such as me, the price of this lens is way over the roof. Are there lens you would recommend, that cost up to a $1000? Any help will be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know you could try the Canon Rebel T2/T3 (NOT the T2i/T3i as those are more expensive, body alone they're just at or under 600 but with the kit lens you're pushing 700)

I just got the T2i, $600+tax with a free bag at Best Buy. Came out to $649 with Texas sales tax, it'll be a bit more in NY though. If you really want to save on that go to the one in Jersey City by the Newport Mall for 3.5% tax. I'd go to Best Buy and see if you can still get that deal, you should be able to but you might have to order it online and go for in-store pickup or have it shipped.

I've heard of the Nikon D40, which takes good shots. I think it's around the $600 range. I'd like to get one like that.

I can get a used one for around $300. Are used ones worth it? Thanks!

As far as I know you could try the Canon Rebel T2/T3 (NOT the T2i/T3i as those are more expensive, body alone they're just at or under 600 but with the kit lens you're pushing 700)

I looked at this one. Looks good. Thanks!

This one is $200 dollars off!! With lens.

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_p_text_b

Edited by jimmy7train

I can get a used one for around $300. Are used ones worth it? Thanks!

I looked at this one. Looks good. Thanks!

This one is $200 dollars off!! With lens.

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_p_text_b

Well I have the d5100 and I love it. It is too my first dSLR so I was "in your shoes" not a month ago. But because my budget was different I got the body and more expensive lens separate. The reason why I got this camera, and not the other ones, is the good high ISO performance, which is good for underground/night shots. Still I recommend you to go to the store and test some of the cameras in your budget range. The reason behind this is that different bodies have different ergonomics, this is where it gets personal. For example, some people claim that they can not stand poor ergonomics of low-end nikons, but for me they are beyond adequate, etc. So tell us what you decide to get.