R160B on the (A)

Pablo M 201

It can't be because LIPA supplies the power down in Rockaway, I mean, 600V on the third rail is 600V...right? How do NTT's know which station is which? I'm assuming some sort of signal sent through the running rails? Or small transponders between the rails?

I think it's the regenerative braking that causes the issue, not the volts. It is a matter of amperage & how much it can handle. I am not sure the electrification is sturdy enough to handle return current from the cars when they brake. If they upgraded the transformers and the "smart" power control system, and the circuit breakers it'd be fine. I believe SIR has the same issue, which is why i believe they will have older cars for a long time after their counterparts in the rest of the city are sleepin with da fishies. Will take time to get the $ to upgrade out there. I guess we'll se what happens.

On a related note, some (NJT) and (SEPTA) trains can't go places because of electrification issues, or they have majorly noticeable brownouts where they have the phase breaks.

- Andy

Archived