Car Free Day Long Island - 9/20/13

I saw this on 1698 on my 7:05 n20l Limited Hicksville trip.

Car Free Day Long Island (1st Annual CAR FREE DAYS- Friday, September 20th, 2013.

http://carfreedayli.com/

slideshow-traffic-jam.jpg?1372081980369

slideshow-train.jpg

slideshow-buses-nice-sct.jpg

slideshow-carpool.jpg

slideshow-bike.jpg

slideshow-walk.jpg

Beat the Rush Hour!

Join us for the 1st Annual Car Free Day Long Island!

Leave your car home or drive it less on Friday, September 20, 2013.

Join in this worldwide movement to celebrate sustainable transportation on Car Free Day.

What is Car Free Day?

Car Free Day is an international event celebrated every September in which people are encouraged to get around without cars and instead ride a train, bus, bicycle, carpool, subway or walk. This year, Car Free Day will be coming to Long Island on Friday, September 20, 2013!

Car Free Day gives us the opportunity to consider the negative impact of single occupancy vehicles. Using cars less by using alternative modes such as transit, carpooling, bicycles, walking and telecommuting helps reduce traffic, conserve energy, reduce harmful emissions, reduce parking problems and save money!

To participate in this event, all you have to do is pledge to be car free or car-lite on September 20, 2013 by filling out the pledge form. It’s that simple! Once you pledge you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win great prizes! Already car free? That’s great and since you’re doing the right thing, you will also get the same chance to win prizes when you fill out the pledge form.

Car Fee Day is an event celebrated in over 1500 cities in 40 countries around the world. It’s celebrated in different ways but with the common goal of taking cars off the road. The benefit to society is a day with less traffic congestion, a greener environment and reduced energy use.

Help us make the launch of Car Free Day on Long Island a great success – pledge today!

How to be Car Free

Picture 1: Share a laugh with a friend when you carpool in HOV Lane.

Picture 2: Read the paperon the way to work or grab a nap on the LIRR.

Picture 3: Get your exercise or fresh air by bicycling or walking to work or school.

Picture 4: Work in your pajamasby telecomcommuniting from home!

There are a number of regional resources that can help you be Car Free or Car-Lite.

511NY Long Island has an extensive transit system. Plan car-free routes with the 511NY online trip planner.

MTA for LIRR and NYC subway and bus maps, schedules and fare information.

NICE for Nassau County bus maps, schedules and fare information.

Suffolk County Transit for Suffolk County Transit bus maps, schedules and fare information.

511 NYRideshare to find a carpool partner or form a vanpool.

Google Maps - Use Google’s trip planner to select a walking route.

Nassau-Suffolk Bicycle Coalition - Find out more about getting around by bike and the LI Bicycle Locker Program

Transit Solutions - Find out how employees can save as much as 40 percent on transit fares by paying for transit pre-tax through their employer.

Connect
  • Car Free Day LI Facebook page — post your pictures of Car Free Day!
  • Car Free Day LI Twitter page — let us know how you’re being Car Free!

Car Free Day LI is part of a Worldwide Car Free Day Movement.

Employers

Looking for ways to encourage your employees to be car free? We can help tailor a program just for you with free resources to help!

Here are some ideas:

• Post Car Free Day Long Island posters in elevators and bulletin boards.
  • Email employees encouraging them to participate and promote it on social media.
  • Have a contest and offer prizes.
  • Host a transportation day to help employees find alternative ways to get to work.
  • Post alternative commute information on your intranet.
  • Offer your employees the Guaranteed Ride program.
  • Help your employees save up to 40% of their transit costs by offering a pre-tax transit benefit program.
  • Bring in lunch for your employees from a local deli to avoid the need to drive.
  • Download the Car Free Day LI Toolkit that includes a sample promotional email and intranet copy, celebration ideas, and electronic versions of the Car Free Day LI flyer, poster, stickers and logo.

For assistance in tailoring a Car Free Day LI program at your workplace, email info@carfreedayli.com.

Sponsors Program PartnersTransit Solutions Long Island Rail Road 511 NY Rideshare NICE Bus Suffolk Bus
Planning CommitteeNorth Shore - LIJ Health System North Hempstead Seatuck Melville Chamber of Commerce Simon Malls Sustainable Long Island LI Sierra Club Suffolk Bicycle Riders Association
Participating Companies & Organizations Companies
  • North Shore-LIJ Health System
  • CA Technologies
  • Simon Property Group
Business, Civic and Environmental Associations
  • Sustainable Long Island
  • Melville Chamber of Commerce
  • LI Sierra Club
  • Suffolk Bike Riders Association
  • U.S. Green Building Council – LI Chapter
  • Seatuck Environmental Association
Universities and Colleges
  • Stony Brook University
  • Adelphi University
  • SUNY Old Westbury
Local Governments and School Districts
  • Town of North Hempstead

http://carfreedayli.com/pledge/

I'm sure as hell glad none of these "cars are bad for everyone, take mass transit when the schedules suck and people are stupid" types live around me.  This is the stupidest thing ever.

And of all the schools they support, OW is on there?  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the school, but it's perched about 300 feet above ground, a mile away from civilization in any given direction, and the last school you want to go to if you have no car, especially later on in the day when the shuttle only runs every 45-50 minutes.  That first picture?  That's not even New York, let alone anywhere in the tri-state area.  Those businesspeople types you see take the LIRR to the city anyway and take the subway or a taxi, take the LIRR back, and DRIVE HOME during the rush.  Who in the hell planned this?

Carpooling with people contradicts the point of being "CAR FREE" ; Just saying.

Reduces parking?  If we ever lived in times where cars are abolished, who would ever care about parking?  Certainly not bikes eh?

The number of resources to make me car-free are nice, but the travel time will most likely double, maybe even triple if I ever considered it.  Yep, can't be helped I need to drive to work instead.

@Joel Up Front - LIE in some parts looks exactly like that in the AM rush.  Heck besides the four lanes, Van Wyck looks like that every morning as well.

Poor advertising if you ask me.

Picture 1: Share a laugh with a friend when you carpool in HOV Lane.

And make my friend crash?  No.  And if it's "Car-Free" day, why am I in a car?

Picture 2: Read the paperon the way to work or grab a nap on the LIRR.

What does this have to do with being car-free?  What in the hell?

Picture 3: Get your exercise or fresh air by bicycling or walking to work or school.

I risk getting run over just on the main road a 5 minute walk away, you think I want to bike 20 miles away, plus the hills I have to climb just to get to campus with nowhere to lock a bike up safely?

Picture 4: Work in your pajamasby telecomcommuniting from home!

It's "telecommuting" and not everywhere will have super high-speed fiber optic internet.  And when I do end up passing my CPA, I'm sure as shit not going to openly announce important numbers over the internet.

Carpooling with people contradicts the point of being "CAR FREE" ; Just saying.

Reduces parking?  If we ever lived in times where cars are abolished, who would ever care about parking?  Certainly not bikes eh?

The number of resources to make me car-free are nice, but the travel time will most likely double, maybe even triple if I ever considered it.  Yep, can't be helped I need to drive to work instead.

@Joel Up Front - LIE in some parts looks exactly like that in the AM rush.  Heck besides the four lanes, Van Wyck looks like that every morning as well.

Poor advertising if you ask me.

I am not giving up my car to rely on a bus that probably won't come. This is why I only fan NICE bus and don't rely on it. It really is no surprise that only 45 people on Long Island are signed up for this thing. It's not going to go well with people.

Nothing much I can add as you both covered all the points except the fact that I must say I agree with you both. 

Yeah, I don't need a damn car free day to feel environmentally or socially conscious, because as it stands I'm 100% reliant on alternate transportation.

This car free day is just a poor attempt of incorporating regular transit riders (who ride for a plethora of reasons) and drivers of cars (who would if anything just participate to stroke their ego).

Why the hell should people add hours to their commute, potentially long walks, and lose the comfort and privacy of being in a car?  I hope people use their cars more that day just because.

Why the hell should people continue to pollute the environment, become more obese and lose all touch with being in shape for the sake of a bloody car?  I hope people use their cars less that day just because.  :D

Why the hell should people continue to pollute the environment, become more obese and lose all touch with being in shape for the sake of a bloody car?  I hope people use their cars less that day just because.  :D

Because Long Island is as easy to get around as Manhattan and Gorgor raised a valid point.

Come on even I felt the sarcastic level reach level 1000000 there.

Anyways to validate some points, my daily commute with a car used to be 45 minutes to 1 hour (Damn Van Wyck traffic.)  If I walked, it would take 4 hours and 23 minutes per Google Maps.  Subway/Bus will take me 1 hour and 30 minutes, but peacemak3r?!  All that pollution for an extra 30 minutes?  I would have to wake up probably an hour earlier if I take the subway/bus just in case of some disruptions in the subway or missing it because the bus would take a yellow light and sit there sometimes.  The car requires me to wake up later and casually drive to work, but traffic you say?  If you drive long enough, there are many back-roads to take to avoid traffic jams.

I'm not pro-car, I just prefer cars over some circumstances.  Like VG8 points out, during the morning to evening hours, if I had to drive into the city, I'd 80% shoot myself.  The only time I'd drive to the city is after midnight into probably 6AM.

Why the hell should people add hours to their commute, potentially long walks, and lose the comfort and privacy of being in a car?  I hope people use their cars more that day just because.

Add hours? An extreme over reaction in most cases, especially in the NY Metro Area.

Please, the people who realized these benefits gave their cars a long time ago or never owned one to begin with.

Because Long Island is as easy to get around as Manhattan and Gorgor raised a valid point.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'd take NICE any day over my TA, even if that douchebag Mangano flaunts his name on each damn bus.

This is about Long Island, not New York City.  I would never use my car as a means of commuting each day within Manhattan, that's just crazy.  Out in Long Island where there's not a bus on every block and they don't run every 5 minutes commuting using public transportation simply takes much longer than a car does. 

This is about Long Island, not New York City.  I would never use my car as a means of commuting each day within Manhattan, that's just crazy.  Out in Long Island where there's not a bus on every block and they don't run every 5 minutes commuting using public transportation simply takes much longer than a car does. 

Well duh, but I'm sure you have some dope heads that could use the LIRR but drive into Manhattan instead.   <_<

Come on even I felt the sarcastic level reach level 1000000 there.

Anyways to validate some points, my daily commute with a car used to be 45 minutes to 1 hour (Damn Van Wyck traffic.)  If I walked, it would take 4 hours and 23 minutes per Google Maps.  Subway/Bus will take me 1 hour and 30 minutes, but peacemak3r?!  All that pollution for an extra 30 minutes?  I would have to wake up probably an hour earlier if I take the subway/bus just in case of some disruptions in the subway or missing it because the bus would take a yellow light and sit there sometimes.  The car requires me to wake up later and casually drive to work, but traffic you say?  If you drive long enough, there are many back-roads to take to avoid traffic jams.

I'm not pro-car, I just prefer cars over some circumstances.  Like VG8 points out, during the morning to evening hours, if I had to drive into the city, I'd 80% shoot myself.  The only time I'd drive to the city is after midnight into probably 6AM.

Well in that situation I can understand.  However on Long Island, they really shun public transit.  Yes, part of it is that transit sucks out there, but it's also a snob factor.  They would never be caught dead using NICE, but then again neither would I.  :lol: I always use the LIRR to car service, which is bloody expensive I may add. It's like $15.00 for a 10 minute ride tops with a tip, one way, not including the LIRR ticket going and coming back.  <_<

I have to ask you since you're so car-centric.  How often do you use your car in a 7 day week?  You say you don't use it in Manhattan, but when do you use it? 

This argument is useless. You've already have made it clear that you'll choose to drive the majority of the time, so why would LI be any different?

Long Island is different because it's like a no-man's land in most areas that requires you to have a car. (To me anyway.)

I'd do the LIRR, but if you take the LIRR and then take the cab, it defeats the purpose of not using a car since I'm praying that cabbie's/car service uses CARS.

I have to ask you since you're so car-centric.  How often do you use your car in a 7 day week?  You say you don't use it in Manhattan, but when do you use it? 

I always use it at least one day on the weekend, usually both days.  I also occasionally use it on weeknights to go to restaurants on the Upper West Side (a 15 minute drive which would take over 40 using the crosstown bus to a north/south bus I may add, and free street parking).  There's also times when I need to go out to visit relatives in far Queens which is a half hour drive that would be around 2 hours each way with the subway, and bus->subway->subway->bus $5 fare trip each way.  I also go to Jersey a few times a year, and my trip simply would not be possible with public transportation.

When Citi Bike comes to the Upper East Side I probably will cut down on the amount I use the car on weekends to travel around the neighborhood and crosstown.  I'm actually consider buying that now to cut down the time needed to get from the (4)(5)(6) to the WFC, but I don't really know yet at this point.

I always use it at least one day on the weekend, usually both days.  I also occasionally use it on weeknights to go to restaurants on the Upper West Side (a 15 minute drive which would take over 40 using the crosstown bus to a north/south bus I may add, and free street parking).  There's also times when I need to go out to visit relatives in far Queens which is a half hour drive that would be around 2 hours each way with the subway, and bus->subway->subway->bus $5 fare trip each way.  I also go to Jersey a few times a year, and my trip simply would not be possible with public transportation.

When Citi Bike comes to the Upper East Side I probably will cut down on the amount I use the car on weekends to travel around the neighborhood and crosstown.  I'm actually consider buying that now to cut down the time needed to get from the (4)(5)(6) to the WFC, but I don't really know yet at this point.

Citibike has really taken off.  The only issue seems to be docking at times. I would wait until the kinks are fully worked out.

and so have the tickets handed out to morons on said bikes who don't bother to follow the rules of the road.

to truely be able to live car free, you need consitant transportation, and aside from the railroads, the further out you go, the less consistant it gets.

and so have the tickets handed out to morons on said bikes who don't bother to follow the rules of the road.

to truely be able to live car free, you need consitant transportation, and aside from the railroads, the further out you go, the less consistant it gets.

Well somehow I'm surviving out here in the boondocks of Southern California.

If anything Nassau County would make it slightly easier for me.

Archived