Last Run of the R30s, June 25th, 1993

DJ MC

June 25th, 1993 marks the last run of the R30 subway cars, which were the last non stainless steel cars built for the B-division still in service. The cars that made the last run include:

R-30A 8408-8397
R-30 8322-8305
R-30 8298-8295
R-30A 8396-8393

Some of these cars appeared in movies after being retired. Credits go to David Pirmann for the picture. Credits for the last consist also goes to the NYD Bulletin of September 1993

img_24503.jpg

The MTA would never have experienced that equipment shortage if they had at least kept the R-30As around another couple of years...

Some were actually kept, but some genius decided "Hey get rid of any mothballed equipment." and the stored R30s joined their brothers and sisters at Naparano Iron and Metals. I guess some people want to do things the hard way and it came back to bite the MTA once the Metrocard was introduced.

I thought they were around until the R143s replaced them? Weren't they? If not what in the world did R143s replace?

You may have seen some of the R30s that were still on the property being used as school cars and other non revenue runs. Since no R30s were running in regular service after 1993, you can safely say that the R143s replaced nothing.

The MTA would never have experienced that equipment shortage if they had at least kept the R-30As around another couple of years...

These trains were just 30 years old, those could run almost an other decade.

Why did they retired them so early? Some technical problems?

They could not be air conditioned, because they were single units rather than married pairs, and therefore were already quite heavy. The only other singles of similar vintage, the R33 singles that were assigned to the 7, were also not air conditioned, but since the R33 singles only appeared as one car on an 11-car train (the third car from the Flushing end), they were easy for riders to avoid.

But they were "Protestant" pairs that were not permanently linked like the others, so I guess they still acted more like single cars. Though since there was still the divide, with the electrical and pneumatic equipment in the different cars; I forget why this prevented them from having A/C.

On top of what has been already said, declining ridership on the subway made the cars surplus. Plus the R30s weren't the only cars retired early. Many of the cars retired in the 1980s didn't make it to 40 years of service. Most were retired with 28-33 years of service. The only subway cars that did hit 40 years in service during the 1980s were the Green R10s of 1948 vintage, which ironically were replaced by the R27/30s that came from the Eastern division.

Thank you for all these answer.

The surplus was not long because I read in the previous page that MTA had shortage few years later?

Yeah the Metrocard was introduced. By the way here is another video of the R30s. 8408 is seen, which was on the last run of the R30s.

Archived