Last delivery of new rail cars enhances safety of Metrolink fleet

Turbo19

Spurred by two deadly crashes since 2005, Metrolink has now replaced almost all its fleet of aging rail cars with a state-of-the-art model designed to better protect passengers and crews during crashes.

Officials for the commuter railroad announced Tuesday that they had taken delivery this month of the last of 137 passenger cars purchased for $263.3 million from Hyundai Rotem Inc. in South Korea.

Dubbed the "Guardian Fleet" by Metrolink, the Rotem cars have energy-absorbing crumple zones and other safety measures now required by the federal government -- improvements that Metrolink pushed hard to make after a deadly Glendale crash that killed 11 in 2005.

Officials say the new cars mark a milestone in the railroad's effort to regain public trust following the Glendale tragedy and the 2008 collision with a Union Pacific freight train in Chatsworth that left 25 dead and 135 hurt.

"Metrolink has gone to great lengths to improve safety protocols throughout our agency and is now leading the nation in rail safety technology," said San Bernardino Mayor Pat Morris, board chairman of the railroad.

Read More: Source

Still wouldnt have worked in both the Gendale and Chatsworth accidents

While I'm sure many would differ, I'm actually in slight agreement with you.

Also, would it be rude to say that I'm not raving over the new cars, as they generally provide a less comfortable ride quality in comparison to the Bombidier counterparts?

I take it these are the same bilevel cars Tri-Rail in South Florida is getting. They actually don't look so bad, can't comment on the ride quality though since I've only been on the Bomardier cars there.

As always I'll be back down there soon, so I'll try to ride one. Honestly the Bombardier Bilevels (which these are replacing at Metrolink, correct me if I'm wrong) didn't impress me too much so I hope these are better.

I take it these are the same bilevel cars Tri-Rail in South Florida is getting. They actually don't look so bad, can't comment on the ride quality though since I've only been on the Bomardier cars there.

As always I'll be back down there soon, so I'll try to ride one. Honestly the Bombardier Bilevels (which these are replacing at Metrolink, correct me if I'm wrong) didn't impress me too much so I hope these are better.

Well while the seats themselves are taller, legroom in dual facing seats is to be desired. The interior in comparison is nicer and more vibrant.

While I'm sure many would differ, I'm actually in slight agreement with you.

Also, would it be rude to say that I'm not raving over the new cars, as they generally provide a less comfortable ride quality in comparison to the Bombidier counterparts?

Any passenger car getting hit through the side with a Diesel loco is gonna buckle

Archived