Emergency Exit Question

Union Tpke

I've been wondering where the emergency exits in tunnels lead to so passengers and/or workers can come out of the tunnel in an emergency. Does it possibly lead to the closest station?

If anyone has a possible answer can you please reply,

Thank you.

I've been wondering where the emergency exits in tunnels lead to so passengers and/or workers can come out of the tunnel in an emergency. Does it possibly lead to the closest station?

If anyone has a possible answer can you please reply,

Thank you.

I think they go to the streets.

it go upstair to street level. i seen this in action on tv when there was a blackout in the city. that why some of those grates are for. also some of those grates are transformer as well. PLEASE DONT WALK ON THESE.

it go upstair to street level. i seen this in action on tv when there was a blackout in the city. that why some of those grates are for. also some of those grates are transformer as well. PLEASE DONT WALK ON THESE.

But you won't ever know which grates because it's not always from the subway station under it. For example, there  are grates just near the 74th St which lead to think they are from the station underneath. But they are actually from the Transit Police station, built partly on the unused platform of the Roosevelt Ave station.

And I'm sure there are more situations like that. Even if you think some grates are linked to a subway station they might not end up in the station itself but in something attached to it...

And there are also unused grates like the one on Madison Square which leads to the former 18th St station.

Most of them in between stations lead to the street. Some of them on the lower level express of a bi-level tunnel system leads to the local station on the upper level. All of them are protected with motion sensors paid for by homeland security that links directly to the NYPD and using them without notifying the rail control center garners an instant response from NYPD's ESU.

Most of them in between stations lead to the street. Some of them on the lower level express of a bi-level tunnel system leads to the local station on the upper level. All of them are protected with motion sensors paid for by homeland security that links directly to the NYPD and using them without notifying the rail control center garners an instant response from NYPD's ESU.

Wow, that's pretty intense, but makes a lot of sense. Glad to know the safeguard is in place.

To the OP, some of the yellow grates you see on the sidewalk marked with NYCTA or something along those lines are the exit points from some of the emergency exits.

Actual Emergency exits lead up to the street and or the station above if located on an express track that runs under the local tracks such as on the Lex line.

On the sidewalk you'll come across a large painted yellow steel door that will pop up. On central park west there are small stone houses that serve as the exit doors marked by a sign.

The gratings on the streets lead to sub stations, breaker houses and other equipment such a pump rooms. Most of gratings are just vents located above the benchwalls on the tracks.

The abandoned stations such as 18st. on the Lex line have 2 steel doors over them where the staircase entrance once was.

Most are alarmed and you need to call the alarm desk with the correct answers to their security questions when using one or the police will show up.

The emergency exits that lead to grates are probably more the old IRT, and maybe some place on the BMT. Pre-Dual Contracts, basically. If you see a wide opening with a lot of daylight, then it is a grate. The narrow dark doorways generally lead to stairs to a trap door.

The emergency exits that lead to grates are probably more the old IRT, and maybe some place on the BMT. Pre-Dual Contracts, basically. If you see a wide opening with a lot of daylight, then it is a grate. The narrow dark doorways generally lead to stairs to a trap door.

Do you know of any exits that actually have a grate for a door as opposed to the large diamond plate door?

In my 22 years down there, using the exits 3 and more times a week regulaly to enter and exit the tracks I've never seem a grate serve as a door for an exit.

Even back in those days of dual contracts I would think using a grate for a door would only allow a build of snow and ice in the winter and garbage on the exit stair case.

I have NEVER seen the cat walk grates used as ANY emergency exit whatsoever. More often than not, they are the heavy steel doors painted yellow with the words "SUBWAY KEEP CLEAR" around it. There are some that are actual doors on buildings, little outhouses or pop out onto other passenger platforms.

BTW, not only are the emergency exits wired with motion sensor alarms, they also have a magnetized alarm system on the doors themselves that set off an ear piercing alarm when they are broken/opened. The alarm desk is suppose to send PD out to investigate ANY alarm, but, yeah...

There's something in particular about that Bowery video that I won't mention, but I did bring to the attention of the AD, but alas, still nothing done. 

Those who use EE's know enough about them to "use" them.

Archived