Three Brooklyn Q line stations to go rehab work all times the next few months

Abba

Good....

Enough of the paint chipping/rotting on platform level throughout cortelyou & beverly, the stench @ parkside being enough to choke a horse, and all sorts of leaks at all 3 of those stations.....

I just hope they widen the platforms, they are just way too narrow.

Agreed.

This sounds more like component renewal than rehab. Normally these renewals take place without platform closure, but I think that the narrow platforms make it necessary.

the repairs would be less extensive than the $220 million overhaul of the five stations between Newkirk Avenue and Kings Highway

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/51/kc_stationruinrehab_2012_12_14_bk.html

They just rehabbed those stations in the 90s SMH.

Brighton line getting their stations rehabbed twice over before the Culver & Sea Beach stations got rehabbed once :lol:

Well you gotta admit the ones from Newkirk and south didn't look like they were touched in years... but I dunno.

Sure doesn't look like it... Newkirk Plaza already looks like a dump.  I don't understand why they can't use more weather friendly materials that hold up better.  

Good....

Enough of the paint chipping/rotting on platform level throughout cortelyou & beverly, the stench @ parkside being enough to choke a horse, and all sorts of leaks at all 3 of those stations.....

LOL... The exact same things I think about at those stations...

Beverly and Cortelyou are literally right next to each other; one of them should be closed for good.  It's ridiculous to have stations that are barely a train-length away from each other.

I disagree... If one were closed the other would be too crowded and with the narrow platforms that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Either way the platforms should be widened regardless. Ideally a new station should be built b/w those 2 and the closed stations would be kept and connected by a walkway so riders can exit towards each end. But that said, it probably will never happen, so just widening the platforms + the rehab will be just fine.

As for Brighton getting twice the attention over Culver and Sea Beach, damn that isn't fair at all. Sea Beach really needs attention asap (hell with all the times the N gets routed over the D, they could've done work on some of those stations).

As for Brighton getting twice the attention over Culver and Sea Beach, damn that isn't fair at all.

Sea Beach really needs attention asap (hell with all the times the N gets routed over the D, they could've done work on some of those stations).

I don't know about "twice" the attention, but Brighton has noticably gotten more attention than the Sea Beach.... I would think that would be obvious..... Even though I'm closer to the Brighton, I'll admit that the Brighton line *does* get favorable treatment over the sea beach, culver, and the west end.....

I haven't heard about any plans yet regarding revamping any of the Sea Beach stations.....

Beverly and Cortelyou are literally right next to each other; one of them should be closed for good.  It's ridiculous to have stations that are barely a train-length away from each other.

True, but then you can also close some stations in The Bronx on the IRT if you base it on proximity.

Brighton line getting their stations rehabbed twice over before the Culver & Sea Beach stations got rehabbed once :lol:

I guess the  (MTA) has a different definition of "rehab." Anyway, they failed to address the narrow platforms back then.

True, but then you can also close some stations in The Bronx on the IRT if you base it on proximity.

Those should be closed/relocated as well.  They were smart enough to close 91st Street and Worth Street when they realized the proximity to other stations; they should use that approach more often.

Good....

Agreed.

one of those stations can stay closed.

Sure doesn't look like it... Newkirk Plaza already looks like a dump.  I don't understand why they can't use more weather friendly materials that hold up better.  

LOL... The exact same things I think about at those stations...

I disagree... If one were closed the other would be too crowded and with the narrow platforms that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

not if the other gets a bigger platform.

one of those stations can stay closed.

not if the other gets a bigger platform.

Even so the platform would only be but so big so it still would be foolish to close the other station.  Ridership is only going to continue to increase so closing down stations is probably not the smartest thing to do.

If you think Beverley/Cortelyou Roads are too close, look at Bowling Green and Wall Street on the (4)(5) for instance. They're much closer to each other, By whoever's logic that is, you might as well close one of those two stations too but that will be chaos.

Anyways I hope they widen the (Q) platforms when finished.

Since Q trains will be bypassing the stations on the local track, I wonder why all three closures have to be in the same direction at once. Why not close two northbound platforms and one southbound platform, so that Beverley riders can use Cortelyou and vice versa?

I just hope they widen the platforms, they are just way too narrow.

That would require taking property, so I wouldn't be too optimistic.

As for Brighton getting twice the attention over Culver and Sea Beach, damn that isn't fair at all. Sea Beach really needs attention asap (hell with all the times the N gets routed over the D, they could've done work on some of those stations).

Much of the work in a rehab job is structural in nature. It isn't just a matter of making the stations look pretty. If the three Brighton stations have structural problems that the Sea Beach stations don't, then doing the three Brighton stations first may make the most sense.

Note that the Brighton job is a component job, not a full blown rehab.

Capital jobs are done by contract. If there's no contract in place, who's going to do the work?

I don't know about "twice" the attention, but Brighton has noticably gotten more attention than the Sea Beach.... I would think that would be obvious..... Even though I'm closer to the Brighton, I'll admit that the Brighton line *does* get favorable treatment over the sea beach, culver, and the west end.....

I haven't heard about any plans yet regarding revamping any of the Sea Beach stations.....

http://mta.info/capitaldashboard/pdf/Milestones_Report.pdf - see page 7. Award of the station rehab/renewal job on the Culver line is scheduled for April 2014, and for the Sea Beach in October 2014. The West End stations job wrapped up last year.

Those should be closed/relocated as well.  They were smart enough to close 91st Street and Worth Street when they realized the proximity to other stations; they should use that approach more often.

Those stations were closed when new entrances opened at the adjacent express stations.

I knew Culver and Sea Beach were going to get their makeover. Though I'm a year off since I thought it would start this year since I made that prediction last year. Not on here, but I made it.

Since Q trains will be bypassing the stations on the local track, I wonder why all three closures have to be in the same direction at once. Why not close two northbound platforms and one southbound platform, so that Beverley riders can use Cortelyou and vice versa?

I presume that for the segment that is affected, they're clearing the northbound local track so that construction workers can step on the tracks without the fear of killing themselves. There aren't switches at every station, so an alternating closure setup wouldn't work.

Is it confirmed that they are going to be bypassing these stations on the local track?  Or are they going to like have those platform extensions between Kings Highway and Newkirk?

I thought this was the case until I saw spray paint (or whatever it's called) on the local tracks. That usually marks the segment of rail to cut off, and by Monday morning, we'll probably see trains switch to the express track right before pulling into Newkirk Plaza.

I thought this was the case until I saw spray paint (or whatever it's called) on the local tracks. That usually marks the segment of rail to cut off, and by Monday morning, we'll probably see trains switch to the express track right before pulling into Newkirk Plaza.

Silly question but I'm wondering how this all may affect already apparent problems @ Dekalb in turns of potential for train bunching, congestion, delays and such.

If that's the case I guess I'm going to be seeing (B) locals coming down from Prospect on my way home these days.

Archived