Miami-Dade Looks To CNG Bus Fleet

DJ MC

Compressed natural gas might help motorists and government alike save significantly on transit expenses — and perhaps even significantly reduce harmful emissions.

Hence, for Miami-Dade Transit, Mayor Carlos Gimenez told a transportation summit last week, a fleet of natural gas buses is in the works.

The county has drafted a proposal seeking a compressed natural gas program for its heavy diesel fleet, starting with its fleets for the public works and waste management, transit bus, and water and sewer departments.

Ideally, draft legislation says, the county wants a cost-effective way to convert to natural gas, which Mayor Gimenez told summit attendees is cleaner, cheaper and made right in the US.

Conversion of facilities to serve natural gas buses would begin at Central O&I facility at 3431 NW 31st St., followed by Coral Way at 2775 SW 74th Ave. and Northeast at 360 NE 185th St., the draft says. Work includes designing, building, operating and maintaining fuel infrastructure, including natural gas fueling stations operating around the clock.

Source

Awesome to see a transit system down South looking to benefit from CNG fueled vehicles.

HART in Tampa is going to have CNG buses by the end of this year or early next year. Miami had five Flxible Metros with Cummins L10Gs and Voith transmissions. Here is an audio of one of them back when they were brand new. Credits go to Youtube user Marcos .A.R. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biXL6oelOQ

• 3 weeks later...

When MDT reviews the CNG process They would be looking to order cng busses from NABI or NEWFLYER

I'm sure Gillig or Nova isn't out of the question, as the also manufacture CNG fueled buses.

At the same time though Miami Dade may choose to continue with NABI.

I guess I'll just wait it out.

I'm sure Gillig or Nova isn't out of the question, as the also manufacture CNG fueled buses.

All comes down to which company puts in a bid. Then we can see the lowest compliant bidder then.

They will, they love the 42' and the GEN III,  also found it interesting that although New Flyer had been getting the WMATA contracts, the newest contract is going to NABI, for 42 and 60' BRT models,  looks like it will be an interesting acquisition !

http://www.nabusind.com/news/WMATA_Award_Press_Release_Announcement_7_18_2013.pdf

All comes down to which company puts in a bid. Then we can see the lowest compliant bidder then.

Sticking to the buses that they are use to will be a good move for Miami IMO. Many have been buying from the same bus manufacturer for over a decade or longer down here.

They will, they love the 42' and the GEN III, also found it interesting that although New Flyer had been getting the WMATA contracts, the newest contract is going to NABI, for 42 and 60' BRT models, looks like it will be an interesting acquisition !

http://www.nabusind.com/news/WMATA_Award_Press_Release_Announcement_7_18_2013.pdf

I'm honestly still not liking the aquisition, but if NABI's products are still popular I'm all for getting out orders.

Sticking to the buses that they are use to will be a good move for Miami IMO. Many have been buying from the same bus manufacturer for over a decade or longer down here.

yes, exactly. Simply because of fleet compatibility new NABI's are highly likely. Expect a competive bid here.

Also HART in Tampa is also turning to CNG as well. HART will be getting 20 CNG coaches late in 2014 as DNJ pointed out. Don't know who will get the contract as the Gillig contract in Florida is set to expire in December of this year. Even then that didn't stop HART, SCAT, Palm Tran, and Lynx from buying Gilligs anyway back in 1997.

MDT is having trouble with their recently ordered Gilligs (I heard they may even get retired), so I think MDT will stay clear of them. MDT is a longtime NABI customer and will likely go with them, or New Flyer now that they own the company.

That doesn't mean anything. Our Gillig BRTs have been having issues too. It's not just Miami. Even the 2010s are having problems. Also those Gilligs and the New Flyer artics were piggyback ordered from other transit systems in the state. So they are not up to MDT specs. 

http://www.miamidadetransit.com/6700page.html

These buses come with AM/FM/DVD/LCD monitors and bike racks. They also have power outlets as well. 

I've been on one of those....the coldest air conditioners in any motorcoach I have ever been on!

That doesn't mean anything. Our Gillig BRTs have been having issues too. It's not just Miami. Even the 2010s are having problems. Also those Gilligs and the New Flyer artics were piggyback ordered from other transit systems in the state. So they are not up to MDT specs. 

That's what I thought. There were some cosmetic issues that I spotted between those two brands that didn't seem to be MDT specs....The NABIs are fully MDT spec and those have been running pretty well.

I've been on one of those....the coldest air conditioners in any motorcoach I have ever been on!

That's what I thought. There were some cosmetic issues that I spotted between those two brands that didn't seem to be MDT specs....The NABIs are fully MDT spec and those have been running pretty well.

Those MCIs don't have jake brakes, but are nice for the most part. The buses not being up to MDT specs is probably why they don't run as good as the NABIs. Same thing is happening with our NABI artics, which have been breaking down a lot. They are up to the Nashville MTA specs. We were suppose to get hybrid DE60LFRs, but that deal fell through.

http://www.miamidadetransit.com/6700page.html

These buses come with AM/FM/DVD/LCD monitors and bike racks. They also have power outlets as well. 

Those are for the MDT-operated 95 Expresses right?

I know BCT uses NABI 42-BRT hybrids on their 95/595 Express routes that also have the power outlets, free WiFi, I believe the monitors and radios as well. They look awesome!

I know BCT uses NABI 42-BRT hybrids on their 95/595 Express routes that also have the power outlets, free WiFi, I believe the monitors and radios as well. They look awesome!

The MCIs operate mostly on the 34 Flyer. They were originally suppose to do the 175, but that didn't work out. 

I rode the 595 last week, those 42' BRT are extremely comfortable, my ride was 25 minutes and with the amenities you mentioned, and the great ride the time flew. If you read between the lines on the NFI press release for the WMATA order, you could believe that the NABI 42 and 60' BRT is going to be NFI's offering in that market place. Which begs the question, if the Millennium deal goes bust, that 42' BRT would serve  weekend express bus service more than adequately in some areas around here.

Yup, that too in addition to the MDT-operated 95 Express. Though I have a feeling Broward has the nicer express buses with those BRTs...

It varies for transit system to transit system around here. 

• 1 month later...

The gilligs in the MDT bis fleet are not having problems the newflyer artics are supposed to get a upgraded system that controls the speed up to 65mph from 50mph and new tires the Nabi busses are doing extremely well in service be on the lookout for the 3rd gen Nabi Bus when Fleet Replacement Starts Again and probbaly new communter busses and probbaly the Xcelisior artic bus from newflyer

Archived