San Fran - BART on Strike

mfs NJT459

BART did run its limited rush hour shuttle/charter buses today, even though it is a holiday. I was surprised anyone showed up, given that the buses run from 5a to 8a and BART wouldn't have opened until 8 anyway had there not been a strike.

BART did run its limited rush hour shuttle/charter buses today, even though it is a holiday. I was surprised anyone showed up, given that the buses run from 5a to 8a and BART wouldn't have opened until 8 anyway had there not been a strike.

Those in the transit industry prefer to refer to those as "scab buses".

MAJOR UPDATE

BART trains to roll again Friday afternoon

BART trains will be running again beginning Friday afternoon after the transit district and its striking unions agreed to a 30-day extension of the current contract.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday, representatives from BART and the two unions that went on strike Monday announced that workers will go back to their jobs and trains will begin rolling by 3 p.m. Friday. BART will continue to run its bus service Friday morning.

The decision came at the request of state Labor Secretary Marty Morgenstern and state mediators.

Regular train service to 400,000 daily riders in the Bay Area will operate during the monthlong extension, officials said. But the contract dispute is far from over. When asked how many contract issues remain to be resolved, Morgenstern could only chuckle.

"I don't have that much time," he said.

For the past four days, mediators have been trying to bring the two sides together, but finally agreed Thursday that it was more important to get the trains running.

Read More: Source

MAJOR UPDATE

BART trains to roll again Friday afternoon

BART trains will be running again beginning Friday afternoon after the transit district and its striking unions agreed to a 30-day extension of the current contract.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday, representatives from BART and the two unions that went on strike Monday announced that workers will go back to their jobs and trains will begin rolling by 3 p.m. Friday. BART will continue to run its bus service Friday morning.

The decision came at the request of state Labor Secretary Marty Morgenstern and state mediators.

Regular train service to 400,000 daily riders in the Bay Area will operate during the monthlong extension, officials said. But the contract dispute is far from over. When asked how many contract issues remain to be resolved, Morgenstern could only chuckle.

"I don't have that much time," he said.

For the past four days, mediators have been trying to bring the two sides together, but finally agreed Thursday that it was more important to get the trains running.

Read More: Source

This is laughable, striking for more money from a state that is a poster for overpaid, under worked employees. Not to mention they are just about bankrupt. I understand feeding and caring for your family, but when the well is dry, common sense must overrule stupidity.

This is laughable, striking for more money from a state that is a poster for overpaid, under worked employees. Not to mention they are just about bankrupt.

Hmm...

« I'll be the judge of that.

On the contrary nearly 14% of the state is unemployed, and out of that 14% roughly 20% are not eligible for unemployment benefits. What residents of California give for one of these overpaid non laborious jobs, but I digress.

Anyway, back on topic. While I'm no fan of transit service disruptions I find that ATU Local 5555 has every right to negotiate a new contract. I'm sure no one is satisfied at the moment with the ruling, but at the very least service will be provided for now, so not the best, but passengers will still be able to commute.

Hmm...

« I'll be the judge of that.

On the contrary nearly 14% of the state is unemployed, and out of that 14% roughly 20% are not eligible for unemployment benefits. What residents of California give for one of these overpaid non laborious jobs, but I digress.

Anyway, back on topic. While I'm no fan of transit service disruptions I find that ATU Local 5555 has every right to negotiate a new contract. I'm sure no one is satisfied at the moment with the ruling, but at the very least service will be provided for now, so not the best, but passengers will still be able to commute.

All that is fine and good,  where is the money coming from???  Triple the fares? raise the bridge tolls? then another group is financially impacted,  a continuing circle jerk.

All that is fine and good,  where is the money coming from???  Triple the fares? raise the bridge tolls? then another group is financially impacted,  a continuing circle jerk.

I would think it goes beyond that. While it looks like BART workers are just bargaining for higher wages and fringe benefits likely they're acting to reduce tension in the workplace, some of which is from talks of breaking the unions.

Just my take.

I would think it goes beyond that. While it looks like BART workers are just bargaining for higher wages and fringe benefits likely they're acting to reduce tension in the workplace, some of which is from talks of breaking the unions.

Just my take.

And I respect your thoughts, but any union(s), who spend 6-7 figures on political ads, should not have their members "suffering"  spread the wealth .  Just saying

And I respect your thoughts, but any union(s), who spend 6-7 figures on political ads, should not have their members "suffering"  spread the wealth .  Just saying

Completely agreed.

and yet why is their picket signs being built as "striking for a safer BART"? what do they mean? bad working conditions?! etc

Part of that goes in line with threats of disbanding the union, the logic here being that union workers are better equipped for the job.

• 4 weeks later...

This whole situation has me SMFH.

I hate to say it, but the union overstayed their welcome. If I were a BART staff member I'd hate to be caught in between here. I'm sure many at this point just want to do their job.

This whole situation has me SMFH.

I hate to say it, but the union overstayed their welcome. If I were a BART staff member I'd hate to be caught in between here. I'm sure many at this point just want to do their job.

from what i hear a worker's testimonial that this is one sided for management  and the negotiator is from veolia who likes to ignore the law

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/barts-lead-negotiator-has-a-history-of-illegal-behavior/Content?oid=3647205

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/BART-union-s-demands-include-firing-negotiator-4660652.php

I am a BART Train Operator for ATU 1555! We are in the middle of the negotiations of our lives right now! Management hired "union-busting" Tom Hocks to do us in! They are not playing fair, just negotiating in front of the media! We went on strike for 4 and a half days in July! Polls say the public supports management! We are asking for a decent contract with no concessions! We are labeled "Greedy Union Workers"! BARTD has plenty of surplus but says they need the money for the future! They want us to give up 10% of what we make now! The local politicians seem to be on managements' side! We are in "Blue-Collar" country in the San Francisco Bay Area! Where did the reasonable people go? Polls have people responding "Fire their ass like Reagan did"! Governor will ask for 60 Day Cooling Off period! Management does not negotiate! HELP!! If you are in this area, please call your district Board of Director! WE WILL FIGHT FOR THE WORKING CLASS!! In unity, my siblings!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived