New ‘Select Bus Service’ comes to Webster Ave. to trim commute times by nearly 10 minutes

Harry

I think you're forgetting about the fact that for the majority of people, express buses are a luxury that quite honestly isn't worth the money. Would you rather have a meal at that nice French restaurant every day, or would you pay for an express bus?

It's kind of like what happened to Metro Rapid - the initial two starter lines had way more bells and whistles, compared to the product that it is marketed as today.

metro Rapid?? Pm me explain.

metro Rapid?? Pm me explain.

Explain what?

The two starter routes for Metro Rapid had arrival boards and specially designed stop shelters. Obviously, those don't exist across the whole network, because that would be prohibitively expensive.

The S79 creates a dangerous precedent for similar dilution of the SBS brand.

Explain what?

The two starter routes for Metro Rapid had arrival boards and specially designed stop shelters. Obviously, those don't exist across the whole network, because that would be prohibitively expensive.

ouch that can hurt SBS lines in the future.

Explain what?

In addition it should be noted that at the time of implementation, Rapid routes functioned differently than they do today.  In contrast to now, back then Rapid routes didn't follow timepoints and instead ran at average headways. In addition the stops were placed at further distances in comparison to now.

The reason headways were implemented were mainly LACMTA's doing, in an attempt to better guide passengers, operate Rapid services in a more comparable manner to Local services, and for future Rapid routes as the agency was not looking to invest much in signage for future routes.

Stops began to get placed closer when passengers (many elderly and disabled) began complaining of walks (sometimes up to a mile in a few cases) to reach Rapid stops. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge the Bus Riders Union (BRU) also persuaded Metro to add more Rapid stops.

As a result service degraded to an extent. In my opinion this is most evident with route 750 where a trip today is on average 20% slower than the trips I've taken in the past, but I digress.

Back on topic, so while the S79 is a catalyst for the degrading of service it should be the exception and not an example. I'd hate to see the B46 ever have SBS service similar to the S79.

In addition it should be noted that at the time of implementation, Rapid routes functioned differently than they do today.  In contrast to now, back then Rapid routes didn't follow timepoints and instead ran at average headways. In addition the stops were placed at further distances in comparison to now.

The reason headways were implemented were mainly LACMTA's doing, in an attempt to better guide passengers, operate Rapid services in a more comparable manner to Local services, and for future Rapid routes as the agency was not looking to invest much in signage for future routes.

Stops began to get placed closer when passengers (many elderly and disabled) began complaining of walks (sometimes up to a mile in a few cases) to reach Rapid stops. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge the Bus Riders Union (BRU) also persuaded Metro to add more Rapid stops.

As a result service degraded to an extent. In my opinion this is most evident with route 750 where a trip today is on average 20% slower than the trips I've taken in the past, but I digress.

Back on topic, so while the S79 is a catalyst for the degrading of service it should be the exception and not an example. I'd hate to see the B46 ever have SBS service similar to the S79.

That union does more harm to bus service than good the elderly BS let em use local buses there is a reason why they are called rapid lines.

Archived