Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Forest Hills

I'm interested in seeing the private section of Forest Hills via the express bus.  My question is what express buses run near the area that also run on weekends? Looks like the QM4 could work.  I'm also wondering what's the difference between Electchester, Kew Gardens Hills, Forest Hills Gardens and Forest Hills? These names are all thrown around and I'm not sure what in the world is the difference! Very confusing!! 

A lot of area names share zipcodes in Queens. My zip code has at least five.

Electchester is very far from where you want to go. It's closer to Fresh Meadows...

Kew Garden Hills is also quite far from Forest Hills proper - it's east of the Van Wyck, and if I had to give it a center i would say Main St & Jewel. Predominantly Jewish, and I love the local bakery's rugelach.

Forest Hills Gardens is probably what you're looking for - after exiting Forest Hills station on the QBL, head south on 71st Av away from Queens Blvd and go past the railroad tracks, and you're there.

Forest Hills proper, as I understand it, is north of the railroad tracks, and consists of mostly commercial development south of Queens Blvd and homes and co-ops north of it. I'm not going to attempt to give it bounds, since it seamlessly transitions into Rego Park and Kew Gardens.

Electchester is very far from where you want to go. It's closer to Fresh Meadows...

Kew Garden Hills is also quite far from Forest Hills proper - it's east of the Van Wyck, and if I had to give it a center i would say Main St & Jewel. Predominantly Jewish, and I love the local bakery's rugelach.

Forest Hills Gardens is probably what you're looking for - after exiting Forest Hills station on the QBL, head south on 71st Av away from Queens Blvd and go past the railroad tracks, and you're there.

Forest Hills proper, as I understand it, is north of the railroad tracks, and consists of mostly commercial development south of Queens Blvd and homes and co-ops north of it. I'm not going to attempt to give it bounds, since it seamlessly transitions into Rego Park and Kew Gardens.

QM4 is not far from Forest Hills QBL station as it stop on Jewel Avenue and Queens Boulevard

Edited by Q101viaSteinway

QM4 is not far from Forest Hills QBL station as it stop on Jewel Avenue and Queens Boulevard

I never said it was...

• Upvote 1

The areas in Queens are sometimes quite difficult to distinguish. Some people call 108st and 62nd dr Forest Hills while others and the Q38 call it Rego Park. The same for other areas like Flushing and Jamaica.

What express buses serve Forest Hills Gardens then and where exactly is it?  It seems as if you're telling me that it's right by the Forest Hills train station, which is supposedly Forest Hills.  I thought Riverdale was bad with what boundaries are where, etc.  This is far worse.  I mean Fieldston is pretty well defined.  I would think Forest Hill Gardens would be too.  If there are no express buses nearby that's fine but I want to know the transportation options there.  

I have no problem taking an express bus so far and then transferring to a local bus as that set up is very fast and beats the subway in my previous experiences, since most of them don't stop until they get far into Queens Blvd anyway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What express buses serve Forest Hills Gardens then and where exactly is it?  It seems as if you're telling me that it's right by the Forest Hills train station, which is supposedly Forest Hills.  I thought Riverdale was bad with what boundaries are where, etc.  This is far worse.  I mean Fieldston is pretty well defined.  I would think Forest Hill Gardens would be too.  If there are no express buses nearby that's fine but I want to know the transportation options there.  

I have no problem taking an express bus so far and then transferring to a local bus as that set up is very fast and beats the subway in my previous experiences, since most of them don't stop until they get far into Queens Blvd anyway.

I would define it as south of the railroad tracks, east of Yellowstone Blvd, north of Metropolitan, and west of Union Tpke.

Like most Queens residents, I've never ridden an express bus in my life due to the cost, so can't help you there :-/

I would define it as south of the railroad tracks, east of Yellowstone Blvd, north of Metropolitan, and west of Union Tpke.

Like most Queens residents, I've never ridden an express bus in my life due to the cost, so can't help you there :-/

That all points to Forest Hills...  <_<  That must mean that it's served by the Forest Hills trains station no?  I'm looking at an (MTA) map that just shows Forest Hills but not Forest Hills Gardens.  Is it a subsection of Forest Hills?? 

Edit: The QM4 stops right at Queens Blvd and Jewel Avenue, which isn't too far from the Forest Hills train station.... So from there how far is Forest Hills Gardens?? 

Bring Back Midday QM12 service!

See, the QM12 serves the entire portion of Forest Hills. Service to Queens began at 11:50 AM, now 3:50 PM. Service to Manhattan ended at 1:00 PM in south forest Hills ( 1:35 north of Queens Blvd) now at 10:00 AM (10:35 north of Queens Blvd). I would favor the QM12 have midday and weekend service over the QM4, because it doesn't serve areas that are easy to reach by the subway or have bus service at all, especially north of Queens Blvd (something the QM4 isn't comparable with). It depends what part of Forest Hills you're going to also.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Bring Back Midday QM12 service!

You don't need it.  The QM4 stops right at Queens Blvd and Jewel.  You can either drive to that stop or take the Q23 to the QM4.  The thing is the stops aren't on Queens Blvd.  They're on side streets.  Just checked out Google maps.  It's not that far from the Forest Hills train station.  I'm still lost as where specifically Forest Hills Gardens is though.

You don't need it. The QM4 stops right at Queens Blvd and Jewel. You can either drive to that stop or take the Q23 to the QM4. The thing is the stops aren't on Queens Blvd. They're on side streets. Just checked out Google maps. It's not that far from the Forest Hills train station. I'm still lost as where specifically Forest Hills Gardens is though.

Forest hills gardens is the section between ascan Avenue and 71 Avenue south of the LIRR to Metropolitan Avenue, with an exception to the south, having no street grid, looking like a suburban grid.

Forest hills gardens is the section between ascan Avenue and 71 Avenue south of the LIRR to Metropolitan Avenue, with an exception to the south, having no street grid, looking like a suburban grid.

So is it subsection of Forest Hills or what because it isn't listed anywhere on a map....  <_<

I'm interested in seeing the private section of Forest Hills via the express bus.  My question is what express buses run near the area that also run on weekends? Looks like the QM4 could work.  

I'm also wondering what's the difference between Electchester, Kew Gardens Hills, Forest Hills Gardens and Forest Hills? These names are all thrown around and I'm not sure what in the world is the difference! Very confusing!! 

1) On weekends, you really only have the QM4 to the first outbound dropoff stop at Queens Blvd/Jewel av (on Jewel)... From there you can cross over to the south side of Queens blvd, then walk along yellowstone til you pass the LIRR tracks - keep walking to your left, and venture through as much of Forest Hills Gardens as you want (it ends at union tpke)..... I've done it myself, and it is a nice quiet, quaint area.....

OR, after you get off the QM4, you can also walk along queens blvd til you hit 71st av & then walk to your left from 71st (south of the commercial part of 71st), but you're gonna run into the hustle & bustle of everyone shopping in those stores all along austin st & along 71st av (short of the RR station)..... I'd rather not be bothered tryna maneuver around all those f***in people, but you can do that if you wish....

2) As for the neighborhood differences....

* Electchester is those co-op's binding 71st, parsons, 164th.... QM4 terminates over there on the 164th st side....

Electchester is really in Pomonok - Pomonok is the area immediately east of Kew Gardens Hills.... Since there are projects in Pomonok (Pomonok houses), Electchester patrons unofficially separate themselves from being in Pomonok, as being in "Electchester".....

* Kew Gardens Hills is the quiet area that the QM4 directly serves along Jewel east of the Van Wyck, as you're approaching main st....

* Forest Hills Gardens is in Forest Hills.... It's the area of Forest Hills you're asking about (the private section)....

It's immediately south of LIRR Forest Hills (which is south of Queens blvd); most of forest hills gardens is east of 71st av, south of the RR tracks....

* Forest Hills is one huge ass area... how should I do this:

- southern part of the neighborhood binds queens blvd > yellowstone > woodhaven > union tpke (Forest Hills Gardens is part of this)

- northern part of the neighborhood binds queens blvd > 64th > GCP > union tpke

Forest Hills is the section from Union Tpke to 71 Avenue, then the section from 114 street to 99 street(south of Queens Blvd from 66 Avenue to 71 Avenue and up to Woodhaven Blvd)

So is it subsection of Forest Hills or what because it isn't listed anywhere on a map.... <_<

Me having lived there 4 years before moving to Middle Village, yeah it's a subsection.

1) On weekends, you really only have the QM4 to the first outbound dropoff stop at Queens Blvd/Jewel av (on Jewel)... From there you can cross over to the south side of Queens blvd, then walk along yellowstone til you pass the LIRR tracks - keep walking to your left, and venture through as much of Forest Hills Gardens as you want (it ends at union tpke)..... I've done it myself, and it is a nice quiet, quaint area.....

OR, after you get off the QM4, you can also walk along queens blvd til you hit 71st av & then walk to your left from 71st (south of the commercial part of 71st), but you're gonna run into the hustle & bustle of everyone shopping in those stores all along austin st & along 71st av (short of the RR station)..... I'd rather not be bothered tryna maneuver around all those f***in people, but you can do that if you wish....

2) As for the neighborhood differences....

* Electchester is those co-op's binding 71st, parsons, 164th.... QM4 terminates over there on the 164th st side....

Electchester is really in Pomonok - Pomonok is the area immediately east of Kew Gardens Hills.... Since there are projects in Pomonok (Pomonok houses), Electchester patrons unofficially separate themselves from being in Pomonok, as being in "Electchester".....

* Kew Gardens Hills is the quiet area that the QM4 directly serves along Jewel east of the Van Wyck, as you're approaching main st....

* Forest Hills Gardens is in Forest Hills.... It's the area of Forest Hills you're asking about (the private section)....

It's immediately south of LIRR Forest Hills (which is south of Queens blvd); most of forest hills gardens is east of 71st av, south of the RR tracks....

* Forest Hills is one huge ass area... how should I do this:

- southern part of the neighborhood binds queens blvd > yellowstone > woodhaven > union tpke (Forest Hills Gardens is part of this)

- northern part of the neighborhood binds queens blvd > 64th > GCP > union tpke

Forest Hills is the section from Union Tpke to 71 Avenue, then the section from 114 street to 99 street(south of Queens Blvd from 66 Avenue to 71 Avenue and up to Woodhaven Blvd)

Ok, so now it's clear... From the map now I can see that there's no grid so that makes sense.  Doesn't look particularly big though.  Looks much smaller than say Fieldston, but just from what I've seen with the QM4 over by Jewel, it looks kind of hilly...  <_<

Kew Gardens Hills I've been to before and it's quite nice and quaint. I've used the QM1 and the QM5 and QM6 over by Union Turnpike and Main Street right by those co-ops.  The one thing that irks me is they have antiquated express bus stops.  It took me a while to find the QM4 bus stops because they're so outdated.  They have the old ones up.  Christ... 

Ok, so now it's clear... From the map now I can see that there's no grid so that makes sense. Doesn't look particularly big though. Looks much smaller than say Fieldston, but just from what I've seen with the QM4 over by Jewel, it looks kind of hilly... <_<

Kew Gardens Hills I've been to before and it's quite nice and quaint. I've used the QM1 and the QM5 and QM6 over by Union Turnpike and Main Street right by those co-ops. The one thing that irks me is they have antiquated express bus stops. It took me a while to find the QM4 bus stops because they're so outdated. They have the old ones up. Christ...

Of course it's the old ones, its MTA bus, what do you expect...

The one thing that irks me is they have antiquated express bus stops.  It took me a while to find the QM4 bus stops because they're so outdated.  They have the old ones up.  Christ... 

Lol.... I know what you mean.... The old lime ass green ones that are still nailed to wooden poles.....

Lol.... I know what you mean.... The old lime ass green ones that are still nailed to wooden poles.....

Yeah a little antiquated to say the least and it's amazing how many of them exist in Queens...

Of course it's the old ones, its MTA bus, what do you expect...

LOL... We don't have any of those in Riverdale... It's all new signs...

----

Well I've had a look around on Google maps... Tons of English tudors... I think I prefer Riverdale but I can see why it's charming... Lots of green and stunning architecture.  Reminds me a bit of Bay Ridge as you walk in the 70's towards Shore Rd. Very nice...

• Upvote 1

Here's something I don't get.... It's pretty clear that the QM4 picks and drops off at the same stops along 6th Avenue, so why does it say "Drop Off Only" and "Pick Up Only" along 6th Avenue?

Yeah a little antiquated to say the least and it's amazing how many of them exist in Queens...

LOL... We don't have any of those in Riverdale... It's all new signs.

Because the Bx7 and Bx10 are NYCT and they share those stops with te expresses.

No, really?

LMFAO! To me though, I find that Queens often  gets the short end of the deal. Even many NYCT stops out there with the old signs.

Hey did state that they were "new" in Riverdale so I just mentioned why, in case he didn't know (In my defense).

LOL, just joking man.

Sorry if it looked otherwise.

Not all of them are... The stops in the city most of them are not shared with local buses. There's only two bus stops with the old signs and both are in the Bronx (Kingsbridge).  In Riverdale, people would write in and rightfully so.

Its cool that they still use the old signs... its nostalgic.